• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Berk Collection Auction Wins
5 5

411 posts in this topic

Congratulations, Billy!  Jon had some beautiful books and I'm sure you'll be even more pleased once you have it in hand.

20 hours ago, jcb193 said:

I'm a long time lurker, but I'll post.  Grabbed this book (1 of my three grails).  Not sure whether I overpaid or not.  I personally hate trimming more than anything (page quality doesn't mean as much to me in slabbed books these days, especially since many of them are probably rotting in their cases as they sit in warm areas or on people's walls), but it is trimmed.   It seemed like a decent price and because All Star 3 is crazy overpriced in blue label right now, I took the plunge.  This has always been one of my favorite covers.  Maybe the unrelaxed positioning of the heroes, the simplicity of the cover, or the haunting appeal of the yellow.  I just love this book. I do hate the PLOD (not so much for the restoration, but the color purple just clashes with so many comic book covers). I wish CGC would do something like CBCS on restored books.

I've sometimes felt regret the next day after a large purchase.  I don't regret this one.

all3.1860a.jpg

Love it! Although I agree on the dislike for trimming (but for very rare books…) I would not agree on page quality.
Page quality is the thing I care more about, simply because it warrants a longer life for the book. Even if one manages to keep it in the slab, which does not make sense to me.

Well, many market prices for american comics do not make sense to me, but that’s another matter… :D

4 minutes ago, vaillant said:

Love it! Although I agree on the dislike for trimming (but for very rare books…) I would not agree on page quality.
Page quality is the thing I care more about, simply because it warrants a longer life for the book. Even if one manages to keep it in the slab, which does not make sense to me.

Well, many market prices for american comics do not make sense to me, but that’s another matter… :D

I would likely never do this, but the spine seems really tight, and since the trimming damage is already done, wonder if it's worth getting the other edges trimmed and see if can pull a higher grade?  I'll have to see in person first.   I personally place a premium on one edge trimmed versus 3, but curious if others do.

Just now, jcb193 said:

I would likely never do this, but the spine seems really tight, and since the trimming damage is already done, wonder if it's worth getting the other edges trimmed and see if can pull a higher grade?  I'll have to see in person first.   I personally place a premium on one edge trimmed versus 3, but curious if others do.

Of course, a single edge trimmed is "less of a mutilation".
Personally I accept rarer or scarcer 1930s and 1940s comics trimmed if they were coming from a bound volume: often their conservation state and paper freshness is amazing, and sometimes trimming is minimal (or they are not even trimmed, just sewn).

I'm only a Marvel Silver Age collector, but I wanted to chime in quickly to let you all know how much I've enjoyed reading this thread and celebrating Jon's collection.  I only met him once, briefly, but I love stories like these and have loved seeing the art and the books.

And for good measure, I picked up Jon's copy of Daredevil #1 (SA) for my Marvel key collection!  I'll be proud to keep this tiny piece of Jon's world safe and sound.

Dan

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Might as well post it here too.

greenGiant1.jpg

Wow! Congrats Greg. That is awesome!:golfclap: