• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any boardies planning to go to san diego comic con?
2 2

82 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, BassGMan said:

Looks like regular passes to me. Last year, which was the first year they used these new scanner passes, I received my pass in the mail and could have given it to anyone. No checks, no ID, nothing. Of course you do scan the badge when entering, and they like you to scan when you are leaving too, but absolutely nothing that I encountered that required the person and the badge to match. Did anyone need to show ID and for any reason? Literally anyone could have used these passes. Maybe they randomly check people for ID, I don't know, but I surely did not see or hear of anything like that. 

I know when you bought certain exclusives, they would match id with your badge.

On 2017-06-26 at 1:57 PM, Thawk said:

I hope they never move.  Frankly speaking, I think a significant amount of the "magic" of SDCC is due to the scarcity & nostalgia - it's not only difficult to get tickets, it's difficult to get to certain events once you're there.  It's a consistent "thrill of the hunt" scenario the whole time.  Not to mention, the San Diego Convention Center has SO much nostolgia built up for comic fans (Hall H has a whole subculture attached to it now)

But that sub-culture has only appeared in the last 6 or 7 years.

Prior to that (and even as soon as 6 or 7 years ago) you could still find hotel rooms cheap (and not locked down by SDCC). I got rooms for about $150 a room at the W on Broadway literally a few weeks before the show.

Now? Forget it.

Prior to this frenzy, San Diego wasn't about scarcity. It was about the con and the city.

1 hour ago, Kwan Chang said:

I know when you bought certain exclusives, they would match id with your badge.

If that happened it was for the purpose of making sure everyone just received one, or whatever the allocation of exclusives were per person and had nothing to do with convention management, as exclusives are strictly run by the exhibitors and not the convention itself, of course except for the official SDCC shirts and etc. 

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Prior to that (and even as soon as 6 or 7 years ago) you could still find hotel rooms cheap (and not locked down by SDCC). I got rooms for about $150 a room at the W on Broadway literally a few weeks before the show.

Now? Forget it.

Prior to this frenzy, San Diego wasn't about scarcity. It was about the con and the city.

It's true - I have to say it's pretty cool to see how successful they have been with their mission.  The whole point of comic con is to increase the awareness and appreciation for "comic and related popular artforms."  As the world changes, it's pretty neat that something which used to be SO niche, has become such a staple in the larger popular culture.  The last 10 years have seen an explosion of comic book character & content into the mainstream and that has obviously been experienced by Comic Con too.  It's pretty fun to see these types of subculture get built up around something which just 7-10 years ago wasn't big enough for most non-comic book fans to notice, much less care about.

Just now, Thawk said:
10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Now? Forget it.

It's true - I have to say it's pretty cool to see how successful they have been with their mission.  The whole point of comic con is to increase the awareness and appreciation for "comic and related popular artforms."  As the world changes, it's pretty neat that something which used to be SO niche, has become such a staple in the larger popular culture.  The last 10 years have seen an explosion of comic book character & content into the mainstream and that has obviously been experienced by Comic Con too.  It's pretty fun to see these types of subculture get built up around something which just 7-10 years ago wasn't big enough for most non-comic book fans to notice, much less care about.

I'm a little out of touch but it sounds like Disney had their own Disney Con in Anaheim this past weekend (yep, one weekend before SD).

The fact that Disney pulled Marvel out of SDCC and now runs their own show is impressive. If you haven't been to the Anaheim CC it's an impressive place and possibly holds more people than SDCC.

We sure have come a long way since getting bullied and beat up for being comic nerds.

10 hours ago, BassGMan said:

If that happened it was for the purpose of making sure everyone just received one, or whatever the allocation of exclusives were per person and had nothing to do with convention management, as exclusives are strictly run by the exhibitors and not the convention itself, of course except for the official SDCC shirts and etc. 

Well maybe it's just to scare off the scalpers.  It warns you on the SDCC badge and ID sites as well as in the emails you receive to be sure your identification and badge names match or you may not be allowed to enter.  Sounded hard core rendering reselling of your badges to useless. 

I was freaking out a bit because my name has a slight variation that exists on my drivers license but not my passport which is how I registered on my SDCC badge.  I found my passport so that at least matches my SDCC badge.  However, it sounded like they would be scanning badges and checking IDs as you entered.  I can only imagine how much time that would add to the whole process of going through security and entering the convention center.  Maybe it's just all talk.  We shall see in 3 days.

Just now, justafan said:

However, it sounded like they would be scanning badges and checking IDs as you entered.  I can only imagine how much time that would add to the whole process of going through security and entering the convention center.  Maybe it's just all talk.  We shall see in 3 days.

It's random checks.  I never got looked at twice all of last year nor did anyone around me whenever I was coming or going.  People did mention they happened occasionally but it's not as though they're checking even 50% of the entrants as they know it would create mass fury given how long that would take.

12 minutes ago, justafan said:

Well maybe it's just to scare off the scalpers.  It warns you on the SDCC badge and ID sites as well as in the emails you receive to be sure your identification and badge names match or you may not be allowed to enter.  Sounded hard core rendering reselling of your badges to useless. 

I was freaking out a bit because my name has a slight variation that exists on my drivers license but not my passport which is how I registered on my SDCC badge.  I found my passport so that at least matches my SDCC badge.  However, it sounded like they would be scanning badges and checking IDs as you entered.  I can only imagine how much time that would add to the whole process of going through security and entering the convention center.  Maybe it's just all talk.  We shall see in 3 days.

Oh, there are all kinds of warnings released by the con about selling passes or using someone else's badge and all that kind of stuff. And though there may be a random check here and there (though I have never seen one or heard of a first hand experience ever) by my experience last year, it would have been the easiest con ever to sell a badge or lend one out. It would have been a bit more difficult in previous years, at least during badge pickup as THEN you had to show ID to pick up your badge, but after that you could have given it away or sold it easily. As of last year they started mailing them out, thus eliminating an ID check during pickup, as there is no badge pickup, at least not for the majority who received their badge in the mail. 

By writing this I am not advising selling or buying passes at all, but rather talking about the reality of the situation based on what we have seen. However, if I am unlucky enough any year not to be able to purchase a pass through the normal system I would absolutely look for a legit pass to purchase in the secondary market. 

4 hours ago, Thawk said:
4 hours ago, justafan said:

However, it sounded like they would be scanning badges and checking IDs as you entered.  I can only imagine how much time that would add to the whole process of going through security and entering the convention center.  Maybe it's just all talk.  We shall see in 3 days.

It's random checks.  I never got looked at twice all of last year nor did anyone around me whenever I was coming or going.  People did mention they happened occasionally but it's not as though they're checking even 50% of the entrants as they know it would create mass fury given how long that would take.

Just fair warning that dealers have almost lost all of their passes and their booth spots for getting caught sharing badges. Fair warning.

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Just fair warning that dealers have almost lost all of their passes and their booth spots for getting caught sharing badges. Fair warning.

Yeah though it sounds like he's not planning to share or sell, it's just a typo on his driver's license.  As long as you can prove who you are, you'll be fine.  I agree I'd never buy/sell a badge as they crack down hard.  But if you're being honest, they're not going to give you a hard time.

4 hours ago, Thawk said:

Yeah though it sounds like he's not planning to share or sell, it's just a typo on his driver's license.  As long as you can prove who you are, you'll be fine.  I agree I'd never buy/sell a badge as they crack down hard.  But if you're being honest, they're not going to give you a hard time.

Keep in mind SDCC is not airport security. As a dealer I'd never risk my spot with sharing passes, but as an attendee if I didn't have a pass I'd buy one on the secondary market without hesitation, though I'd make sure it was on the up and up otherwise so that I wasn't being ripped off. Considering that no one has ever stopped me for anything in the almost 25 years I've been going to the con, I really wouldn't worry about being there with a real badge that just wasn't IDed to me. If there was a random check and I couldn't ID myself to the badge and they took it, well that is the chance I took, but odds are slim that would happen. Regarding selling, I would never buy a ticket with the intention of selling, but if it was past the point of no refund and for some reason I had to cancel, I'd sell it. While I agree that is against the rules, if I can't get a refund and someone will buy my ticket, I'd sell. I know that some people are in this exact situation and that's what ends up happening. Of course there are scalpers out there too.