• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can You Tell if This Was Trimmed (Spiderman Annual 2)

7 posts in this topic

Can You Tell if This Was Trimmed (Spiderman Annual 2)

Some people have the eye for this sort of thing - I don't.

Here's a book I bought recently (thankfully not for too much). I have my suspicions but you experts are better at this than me.

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpgIMG_0310.jpgbottom shotSide shotside shot IMG_0306.jpgside shotIMG_0303.jpgtop shotIMG_0304.jpgtop shotIMG_0307.jpgside shot

Thank you @ Pontoon @seanfingh @Jeffro.

The photos I sent were the best I could do (which means they were probably just short of terrible).  Here my suspicions and maybe these are unfounded paranoia or obvious to others:

My suspicion is that the side was trimmed around the middle:

- the side (and side shots) seem a lighter colour than the top and bottom shots - the first side shot even looks lighter in the middle than the ends

- (not easily visible) the middle seems to taper a bit. Upon measurement it looks like the middle of the side is about 1/16 of inch compared to top and bottom (is it possible this could be a defect from publishing or is this just a easy sign of trimming?)

- those weird grooves on the top of the side seem to flatten as you move to the bottom. Also they aren't the classic 'V' shape. 

Let me know if there are any other pics I should add for clearer detection. Appreciate the help - it's good to take this as a learning experience at least.

1) Is there a color difference on the pages themselves or just the edges? For example, is there a 1/4" of tanning on the top and bottom of  a page and only 1/8" on the side? If its just the outside edges, the difference could be the result of storage conditions but again, tough to say without the book in hand.

2) Measurement is not an accurate gauge. Variations between books in the very same print run are common, especially on 50-60s books, as are miscuts.

3) Squarebound books don't exhibit a classic V shape.

Edited by Dick Pontoon