• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frank Miller DD run - GPA

17 posts in this topic

Haven't they rebounded with the Netflix show, though?

I'd imagine that a _lot_ of "artist" runs have fallen since 2002, back when CGC was still comparatively new and no one knew how common 9.8s would be (see Jim Lee X-Men, Byrne X-Men, etc.).

To say nothing of the then pre-movie speculation on the forthcoming Ben Affleck movie.

Edited by Gatsby77

5 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I'd imagine that a _lot_ of "artist" runs have fallen since 2002, back when CGC was still comparatively new and no one knew how common 9.8s would be

Is that why the Miller books were so pricey in 2002-2004? It's kind of shocking how much the GPA of those books have fallen since 2002. 

But yeah, I'm buying!!xD

5 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I feel prices for 9.8's for 181 and below still fetch decent coin.  If they really fell off I would have finished my 9.8 run by now...

There's a -ton of high grade 181 slabs   

Any leads for a fellow boardie? :foryou: Slowly putting my run together. (newstand)

Edited by NoMan

Miller's DD run will be legendary forever. I was reading #170's - 180's back in high school in the mid-80's. Unfortunately Miller's more recent work has taken a little of the luster off of those earlier stories. That has likely been the reason for their slight loss in value. No comic artist one can stay on top forever and Miller's art has lost a couple of steps. I'll always value my Miller DD's. Although I did sell my  high grade #168 awhile back I'm keeping my others for the foreseeable future.

They were pretty hot books when they came out.  I remember people who never read Daredevil were picking up that run back in the 1980's.   I imagine there's still many to be had in great condition. 

On 6/16/2017 at 5:38 PM, NoMan said:

Is that why the Miller books were so pricey in 2002-2004? It's kind of shocking how much the GPA of those books have fallen since 2002. 

But yeah, I'm buying!!xD

I imagine you must be the exception here as most collectors like to speculate by buying books when they are hot and at record prices.

They usually say that they'll wait for prices to drop before buying, but usually never follow through on this strategy.

It looks like you are which is good for you.  (thumbsu

23 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

They were pretty hot books when they came out.  I remember people who never read Daredevil were picking up that run back in the 1980's.   I imagine there's still many to be had in great condition. 

+1

Most definitely as there are still a lot of collectors who cherry picked these ones right off the shelves of the LCS's and probably still have them sitting in their private collections.  hm

I just love 'em (Miller's take on DD) is all. Great! Great! Great! 

I understand completely, however, that his newer work sucks balls. I read two of the new Dark Knight book can't eve get myself to read the rest even though I bought them. I even man handle the books when I'm reading them, you know, bend the cover over cause I'm so mad it sucks so bad

Edited by NoMan

3 hours ago, NoMan said:

I just love 'em is all. Great! Great! Great! 

I understand completely, however, that his newer work sucks balls. I read two of the new Dark Knight book can't eve get myself to read the rest even though I bought them. I even man handle the books when I'm reading them, you know, bend the cover over cause I'm so mad it sucks so bad

He's one of my favorite characters, and his title always goes through extreme highs and lows.  Either it is really good, or really bad.   The Volume II run had some really good arcs.   The current Daredevil is one of the few Marvel titles I still read.  It's still pretty much stand alone from the rest of the Marvel garbage going on, so that makes it more tolerable.  

On 6/15/2017 at 7:07 AM, NoMan said:

Man those books have taken a tumble $-wise since 2002.

Well, if this HA auction result is any indication, I would have to respectfully disagree with your above assessment, as per a prior post from me:  :whatthe:

On 1/14/2022 at 2:58 PM, lou_fine said:

After seeing this result here, it makes me wonder if Halperin has the fingers on both of his hands working overtime on this book here:  :devil:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/superhero/daredevil-168-marvel-1981-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7266-95130.s

Modern Age (1980-Present):Superhero, Daredevil #168 (Marvel, 1981) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages....

To each their own, but why in the world would anybody in their right or wrong mind pay $13,200 for this book when there's already a total of 260 copies slabbed to date in this equivalent CGC highest grade.  Especially since this is a relatively common as dirt book in grade as it was pretty much hoarded by all of the collectors back in the day when it first came out. :screwy:

Any bets that there's going to be a ton of copies of this book being sent into CGC for grading after this result, which will go a long way to stuffing their coffers to overflowing.  Which reminds me that I really really do need to get around to fnding my copies so that I can send in at least a couple of them to get the fresh looking inks squished squashed right out of the pages before they get moved over to the next room for grading.  :wishluck:  :banana:  :whee:

I guess this also goes to show it's sometimes all about timing and just showing a bit of patience.  (thumbsu 

Miller’s DD run was the first thing read from my LCS pull bag back in the day.  Only other storyline that was as impactful to me was the Gwen Stacy death.  As far as sustainable value I hope I live long enough to get back one of my 168s that moved to Florida early last year. Like many bronze and copper keys, what’s rare and in demand are AVAILABLE HIGH GRADE CGC SLABS.  Lots of new money has found it’s way into our little hobby and marvel heads are reaping the benefits. 

F27CBAD6-24DC-454D-B3F2-FAA37ECEAF88.jpeg

Edited by ThothAmon

On 1/15/2022 at 4:50 AM, Kevin76 said:

This sale isn't sustainable, just like people paying this amount for XMen 120 and 129, they didn't stay there at those prices. This won't either 

Never said that this kind of price point would be sustainable, as I believe this was just a one-time huge outlier of a sale by 2 bidders (to steal a line from another boardie @tth2 talking about another book) who have too many dollars and not enough sense.  :screwy:

Just a bit surprised that one of them didn't step back to take a breath and come to the realization that this book in this particular grade tends to show up in every single auction at a fraction of the final price.  doh!

Edited by lou_fine