• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can you over hydrate a book before pressing?
2 2

76 posts in this topic

On 6/25/2017 at 6:20 PM, 1Cool said:

So . . 8 hours in a humidity chamber is a good thing :acclaim:

You could cut the time to 5 minutes by lightly dipping the book in water.

you could also use Gatorade or other sports drinks and cut the time in half, as the electrolytes hydrate the book faster than water.

i use fruit punch on mine

4 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

You could cut the time to 5 minutes by lightly dipping the book in water.

you could also use Gatorade or other sports drinks and cut the time in half, as the electrolytes hydrate the book faster than water.

i use fruit punch on mine

Explains a whole heck of a lot.

I heard dipping it in vinegar first whitens the pages. Using bleach at full strength, do not dilute, will get rid of any stains. Try dipping it in beer to get rid of odors. To save time in the hydration process, take the book with you into the shower (any Seinfeld fans out there?). Whatever you do, do not put it into the microwave.

6 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I heard dipping it in vinegar first whitens the pages. Using bleach at full strength, do not dilute, will get rid of any stains. Try dipping it in beer to get rid of odors. To save time in the hydration process, take the book with you into the shower (any Seinfeld fans out there?). Whatever you do, do not put it into the microwave.

Using cold water may cause shrinkage

I'm what you would call a skilled formally educated welder with excellent engineering and fabrication skills and I also press comics. I've been welding for over 35 years and pressing comics for maybe 3. I almost immediately made excellent results and excellent failures. I've found practice makes perfect but I always wonder how the other guy gets his or her results, I would call it professional curiosity and the want to improve my skill set. Unfortunately the comic pressers out there were of little help basically scolding, belittling and condescending anyone trying to gain basic knowledge. So I pressed a few hundred comics and became proficient to point where my results are far better than anyone's 10 to 20 dollar press results I have ever seen. People in this industry actually think they are something special but my welding and mechanic skills earn me over 100k a year and have for a long time so good luck doing that pressing comic books. People out there wanting to press books just get a good press a Seal not that China junk most wannabe pressers are using and listen right now a humidication chamber filled with only distilled water and ALOT of dollar books from every age and just start pressing. If you want excellent results practice and make the humidication chamber part of pressing most of your books it certainly makes a huge difference on how well your books come out and press, press, press, these jokers on here that think they are something special for pressing paper are a bunch of self righteous man people_without_enough_empathy who could use a crash course in humility. I have watched pretty much every video and paid for a course as well and I got a little better but nothing works as well as practice. Quality press, humidication chamber,  junk books, and within 100 presses you will probably have the courage to press that Hulk 181. Its not hard people my Welding and mechanical skills were much, much, harder to attain in every single facet only a ignorant person who presses comic would make a fool's comparison like this. You would have to have quite a few presses hot and cold and a huge clientele to make a appreciable amount of money doing this and the liability of pressing a high dollar comic isn't a joke either. About the only thing that makes pressing anything like a skilled labor job is throwing books that cost thousands of dollars in the mix. The mess gets real when you start pressing books in the 1000 and up range. 

If I was pressing books professionally I would have a walk in humidity room, with RH and temp monitored and controlled, like a mushroom growing room.  Or like a chicken egg incubator.

I might also weigh the books before they went in and again when they came out.  They should weigh more after a few hours in the chamber because they will have more water in them.  There must be a preferred range of moisture content for comic book pressing.  You would have to experiment a bit; Weigh a disposable book at room temp and RH. I'm going to call that the ambient moisture content.  Dry it out in an oven overnight.  Weigh it again.  That is the dry weight, no moisture in it at all.  Put it in the humidity chamber at a known RH and temperature for XXX hours.  Weigh it every hour or so until the weight doesn't go up any more.  The differences in weight is the moisture in the book, so now you know what the 'ambient' moisture content is, what the 'dry weight' is, and what it is after a given time at a given temp and RH. 

Experiment a few times like this and you can say the book probably has a certain amount of moisture in it before treatment, and predict the optimum time it will take to raise the moisture content to the desired level.  Then when it is pressed and treated, you can weigh it again to see if it is at the same weight as before you started the process.  You will know it is at the moisture level it should be, or that it was before you started.   I think after it is heat pressed (and cold pressed?) it should be the same 'ambient ' weight again.  If it is higher, then you left more moisture in it than it started with.  This moisture is going to evaporate...will that curl the paper as it does so?

so if a book is 50 grams before treatment(ambient), 45 grams after drying out(dry weight), and 55 grams after being humidified you can say there is 22% moisture content in the book after treatment (55-45)/45=22%  Ambient moisture content was (50-45)/45=11%

I think my small one book humidity chamber would be insulated to help prevent condensation.  If the walls of the chamber are the same temperature as the air inside it, there should be no, or very little, condensation.  Would a high end cooler work for that?  Would that mean the water could be a bit warmer, and would this speed up the humidification process?  There are Rh gauges and water heaters that could be used to control the water and air temp and RH inside the chamber.  Aquarium or reptile cages, chicken egg hatchers...same temp and RH problems as with comics.

Or, this must be dealt with already in rare book and art restoration circles, which has been going on for 100's of years.

I don't think I would be dipping anything in vinegar: it's acidic.

And does distilled water matter?  Distilled water is basically water that has been evaporated-turned to a gas and then condensed-turned to water again, to take all the solids out of it...which is exactly what a humidity chamber does.  The solids will build up in the reservoir but shouldn't be in the air at all.  

To be clear, I have not pressed any books, but I plan on doing it soon.  I am still at the 'thinking it through stage'. Just thinking out loud, here.

You'd 

On 2/2/2021 at 12:25 PM, Pog said:

If I was pressing books professionally I would have a walk in humidity room, with RH and temp monitored and controlled, like a mushroom growing room.  Or like a chicken egg incubator.

I might also weigh the books before they went in and again when they came out.  They should weigh more after a few hours in the chamber because they will have more water in them.  There must be a preferred range of moisture content for comic book pressing.  You would have to experiment a bit; Weigh a disposable book at room temp and RH. I'm going to call that the ambient moisture content.  Dry it out in an oven overnight.  Weigh it again.  That is the dry weight, no moisture in it at all.  Put it in the humidity chamber at a known RH and temperature for XXX hours.  Weigh it every hour or so until the weight doesn't go up any more.  The differences in weight is the moisture in the book, so now you know what the 'ambient' moisture content is, what the 'dry weight' is, and what it is after a given time at a given temp and RH. 

Experiment a few times like this and you can say the book probably has a certain amount of moisture in it before treatment, and predict the optimum time it will take to raise the moisture content to the desired level.  Then when it is pressed and treated, you can weigh it again to see if it is at the same weight as before you started the process.  You will know it is at the moisture level it should be, or that it was before you started.   I think after it is heat pressed (and cold pressed?) it should be the same 'ambient ' weight again.  If it is higher, then you left more moisture in it than it started with.  This moisture is going to evaporate...will that curl the paper as it does so?

so if a book is 50 grams before treatment(ambient), 45 grams after drying out(dry weight), and 55 grams after being humidified you can say there is 22% moisture content in the book after treatment (55-45)/45=22%  Ambient moisture content was (50-45)/45=11%

I think my small one book humidity chamber would be insulated to help prevent condensation.  If the walls of the chamber are the same temperature as the air inside it, there should be no, or very little, condensation.  Would a high end cooler work for that?  Would that mean the water could be a bit warmer, and would this speed up the humidification process?  There are Rh gauges and water heaters that could be used to control the water and air temp and RH inside the chamber.  Aquarium or reptile cages, chicken egg hatchers...same temp and RH problems as with comics.

Or, this must be dealt with already in rare book and art restoration circles, which has been going on for 100's of years.

I don't think I would be dipping anything in vinegar: it's acidic.

And does distilled water matter?  Distilled water is basically water that has been evaporated-turned to a gas and then condensed-turned to water again, to take all the solids out of it...which is exactly what a humidity chamber does.  The solids will build up in the reservoir but shouldn't be in the air at all.  

To be clear, I have not pressed any books, but I plan on doing it soon.  I am still at the 'thinking it through stage'. Just thinking out loud, here.

Not to come across as rude, but there are so many things wrong with this that I don't really know where to start.  But in general, I wouldn't encourage you to do any of this.  

28 minutes ago, buttock said:

You'd 

Not to come across as rude, but there are so many things wrong with this that I don't really know where to start.  But in general, I wouldn't encourage you to do any of this.  

was it was the incubator that got your attention, doc?lol

we can change it to a p&c autoclave........

On 2/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, Pog said:

like a mushroom growing room.  

I might also weigh the books 

Dry it out in an oven overnight. 

chicken egg hatchers...

12 hours ago, buttock said:

You'd 

12 hours ago, wilbil said:

was it was the incubator that got your attention, doc?lol

we can change it to a p&c autoclave........

1st. If I was pressing books professionally, I would probably stop growing the mushrooms.  

Finally. 

Please see flow chart for reference. 20210205_020845.jpg.13996426bf43e3266b89c8ad1f96b097.jpg