• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valediction

11 posts in this topic

So... I visited my friend Richard Evans in Houston a couple of years ago, and I asked him who he thought had the best collection? After a moments thought he replied, 'Jon Berk'

The answer surprised me - not The Doctor? -not Fish?

Now I see why.

(Had a great time in Houston BTW -more than I deserved)

5 minutes ago, Flex Mentallo said:

Now I see why.

It was even more impressive back in 2005. 

I never attended a Sotheby's auction in person and only bid one time.

Jon was part of the first grading committee for Sothebys and assisted with later Sothebys auctions.

I can only say that since i've been here,he has always been humble,kind and eager to share his knowledge and love for this hobby.Wish to see an image of one of his books?Presto,it's there.Have maybe a question with a well known answer that an other may snicker at?He would be there with an answer without condescension.(I have to say many of,if not almost all of you here in gold are great like that).When I first arrived and started lurking about this place,I was blown away..who's this JB fellow that has all these(all THE lol) great books and has no problem answering silly questions from the likes of me? I think I fell head over heels when I saw Weird Paper and adamstranges thread about the visit to his house a few years back.What a classy fellow.

6 hours ago, Flex Mentallo said:

So... I visited my friend Richard Evans in Houston a couple of years ago, and I asked him who he thought had the best collection? After a moments thought he replied, 'Jon Berk'

The answer surprised me - not The Doctor? -not Fish?

Now I see why.

(Had a great time in Houston BTW -more than I deserved)

I'm terrible with names, but earthshaker01 on the *Voldemort* forum has the most impressive run of high grade rare books that I can recall (though I've only been collecting GA for 10 years or so).  I'm not very active over there, but will occasionally just view the "Golden Age of Comics" thread to drool and dream.  

42 minutes ago, CrocHntr said:

I'm terrible with names, but earthshaker01 on the *Voldemort* forum has the most impressive run of high grade rare books that I can recall (though I've only been collecting GA for 10 years or so).  I'm not very active over there, but will occasionally just view the "Golden Age of Comics" thread to drool and dream.  

It just stuck in my mind, because he chose Jon's over - presumably - a number of others, and he's my guy when it comes to that level of knowledge. I guess its a topic for another thread! Whose is the greatest? I daresay it's been exhaustively covered elsewhere. :foryou:

Edited by Flex Mentallo