• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is There a Guide to Identifying Tampered Slabs vs. Normal Flaws/Damage?

5 posts in this topic

Sort of like the frosting post, but speaking broadly. With say, PSA sports cards there's plenty of info out there. It'd be great if there was some sort of site going over the specifics or taking a number of examples and breaking them down.

Finding a perfect slab on ebay is like finding an Amazing Fantasy 15 in a 50-cent box. Or a haystack. Whichever. Ok, I'm exaggerating, but it gets irritating (like my posts) to look at ebay mega whales or small fry alike and see chipping, odd white gunk or the like and not knowing what the deal is. Just curious if anyone knows of a site or such with a good rundown.

24 minutes ago, Silver Ager said:

Sort of like the frosting post, but speaking broadly. With say, PSA sports cards there's plenty of info out there. It'd be great if there was some sort of site going over the specifics or taking a number of examples and breaking them down.

Finding a perfect slab on ebay is like finding an Amazing Fantasy 15 in a 50-cent box. Or a haystack. Whichever. Ok, I'm exaggerating, but it gets irritating (like my posts) to look at ebay mega whales or small fry alike and see chipping, odd white gunk or the like and not knowing what the deal is. Just curious if anyone knows of a site or such with a good rundown.

I never heard of anything like that. The new design of the slabs are nearly impossible to tamper with. In order to open the slab, it must literally be broken into pieces. The older design was easier to open while keeping the slab nearly intact. The tell tale sign was a broken post, not always visible in a scan.

6 hours ago, Silver Ager said:

If I may revisit this, I was curious about a particular book. I've bought  from them before, and all is well. I know they're a good seller, just trying to learn. 30-something years of raw comics and it's hard to adjust to the new world. I just wonder about the stuff inside the slab, kind of an uneven wavy line. Is that normal for the newer slabs?  For anyone out there. Thanks again.

FF43

Not sure what is going on there. Hopefully, it's a bad scan but it looks like the inner well is melting ? Just teasing but I hope you look over the book itself with as much scrutiny as you do the holder ! Buy the book, not the  holder.