• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the first printed appearance of Macross?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

What is the first printed appearance of Macross?

A while back I saw some Ebay auctions with Svea Macek's source material for the Robotech stuff (it was a manga series that obviously predated our comic version.)  I had wondered for a long while now what the actual first printed appearance of Macross was and curious if this might have been it.  I searched online and wasn't able to come up with any definitive answers.  Anyone here have any information on this?

Thank you!

Well, speaking strictly for myself, I can't even follow your question.   I don't know the reference material you are referring to and not sure if you're asking about north american or japanese first appearance, or what.    I thought it was macross 1 in the US as probably so do many people.   If you have any other info, sharing it might help us understand

6 hours ago, Bronty said:

Well, speaking strictly for myself, I can't even follow your question.   I don't know the reference material you are referring to and not sure if you're asking about north american or japanese first appearance, or what.    I thought it was macross 1 in the US as probably so do many people.   If you have any other info, sharing it might help us understand

We all know that Macross 1 is the first as far as North America is concerned, but I mean THE FIRST.  What Japanese item contains the very first printed appearance of the Macross storyline/characters?

The reference material that Svea used was one of these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Dimensional-Fortress-Macross-1-in-Japanese-in-1982-/162549882370?hash=item25d8ba5e02:g:AXsAAOSw1WJZMycD

I have a copy of it as well, but was never able to nail down if that was the first printed source or if there existed anything previous.

I and a couple of friends were really into the Robotech/Macross series back in the 80's. I have all of the comics from the original American series' (Macross, Masters, New Generation, Invid War, etc.), so I'll tell you what I can remember from 30 years ago.

I cannot remember if it is the word Robotech or the word Macross, but one of those were not used for a title until it was published for the American audience. I thought that the Japanese version was called Super Dimensional Fortress One or something similar and there were like three or so stories that were combined into one long story arc when published here.  This I remember reading in an article at the time. I do remember reading about the origin of the whole Robotech/Macross series but I cannot remember if it was in one of the comic issues or in the Comics Buyers Guide newspaper at the time.  

I just checked my old database and see that I have 36 different issues for the original Macross comic, with four copies of no. 1..Dang I must have really liked that because I rarely bought duplicates in those days. If I can get to the comic I will see if the first issue or two talks about the origin. The comics, I think, were just adaptations of the cartoon/TV series which I believe is currently available on Netflix.

My old friend that was into Macross with me still comes over for the occasional Saturday night card game so I'll ask him what he remembers when I next see him. He was/is more into the whole, I guess you call it Manga nowadays, a lot more than I. He even named his first born daughter Nova after one of the characters, but I do not remember if that was Robotech or another Japanese based series. Heck, after I post this I'll shoot him a message thru Facebook and see what he knows.

The company Comico published the Robotech comics. Super Dimensional Space Fortress Macross started as an Anime not a Manga. The EBay listing you linked to is basically a book that they assembled with dialogue put to animation cell stills. So in the states I would say the Comico issues would be the first.

Well, I guess I only have two copies of this issue. Now that I remember - I gave one to a friend for graduation 30 years ago, not sure where my other copy went, I may have given it away too. Anyways here is some more information from the indicia page, plus the front and back covers. I guess this comic did not do too bad being in mylar for 33 years, 15 years of it in a non climate controlled environment.

Macross 001 IN.jpg

Macross 001 FC.jpg

Macross 001 RC.jpg

Edited by ThreeSeas
spelling