• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DC Comics Liquidates Rare Variant Covers

37 posts in this topic

39 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

That is the exact behavior by the publishers that a lot of people have been hoping would never happen. It conjures up a whole lot of questions.

Not from anybody who has been paying attention. This is nothing new.

Everybody should realize that the publishers print whatever they want, for their own reasons. They make no claims about quantities.

Just now, Lazyboy said:

Everybody should realize that the publishers print whatever they want, for their own reasons. They make no claims about quantities.

Sure, but you can't convince people of something like that with no proof, so the argue about it. More and more proof seems to crop up every year though.

22 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:
23 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

Sure, but you can't convince people of something like that with no proof, so the argue about it. More and more proof seems to crop up every year though.

If its your thing, sell the newest modern variants hard and fast. Otherwise just buy what you like and can afford without expectations.  And don't worry about the rest.

Just now, revat said:

If its your thing, sell the newest modern variants hard and fast. Otherwise just buy what you like and can afford without expectations.  And don't worry about the rest.

Sure - that is a given. The discussions typically revolve around more nebulous stuff like how rarity alone does or does not drive value, or how the combination of a stellar cover coupled with perceived rarity can create exponential value and drive moderns to mid to high grade SA key prices, etc.

Stay away from variant covers no matter how hot they are, they all sink or have a ceiling. Who knows how many ASM 678 MJ variants marvel is sitting on or how many Batman 608 RRP covers DC has sitting on a bookshelf somewhere.  Variants are pretty much a waste of money. 

13 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Stay away from variant covers no matter how hot they are, they all sink or have a ceiling. Who knows how many ASM 678 MJ variants marvel is sitting on or how many Batman 608 RRP covers DC has sitting on a bookshelf somewhere.  Variants are pretty much a waste of money. 

Everything you just said could be applied to any comic book, not just variants.

Yay, I can finally get that copy of wolf moon 1 and trinity of sin 3 I've been looking all over for!

lol

Yes, this is nothing new. Burning off remainders of case packs of un-sold/un-ordered drek variants happens periodically. 

Keep dreaming on that happening on famous $5k+ books 5-15 years after the fact though.   :eyeroll:

-J.

As the self proclaimed king of "Unchained" variants this makes me happy...there are still a few left I haven't been able to get so this should help...now I just need to figure out how to get them...

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

5 hours ago, ygogolak said:

:ohnoez:The sky is falling! The sky is falling!:ohnoez:

7 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Yay, I can finally get that copy of wolf moon 1 and trinity of sin 3 I've been looking all over for!

lol

Yes, this is nothing new. Burning off remainders of case packs of un-sold/un-ordered drek variants happens periodically. 

Keep dreaming on that happening on famous $5k+ books 5-15 years after the fact though.   :eyeroll:

-J.

So I guess D.C. And Marvel know what's going to be hot and only print to initial demand in those future in demand covers or are those extra copies exiting the warehouse in alternative ways that differ from Wolf Moon 1?

Nothing new here. Look at how Marvel flooded the market with the Star Wars AF and other variants a year or so ago. If you ask your LCS owner, they probably have a bunch of these in the back as well. I know at least one LCS in town that pulls them out on a regular basis a year or two later to fill their $5 variant boxes.

So I guess these have hit the streets already. I just saw a few of these at Frank and Sons Collectible show this weekend. Some dude had them up for sale yesterday. I probably should have asked him what the price was on a few a them. I'd be curious to find out if he was looking for them to hold their value or if those suddenly became $5 books. 

covers.jpg

I went to a shop this weekend that had two new copies of about 10 of the Harley 1:25s released over the last year. They were priced at $5-6 each. I think it was more than is listed here.

a quick look on eBay showed the issues the store had were being listed for about that much. They were going for $25+ when they were released. I know it's not uncommon to have that kind of price drop but for variants but for that title and the issues it seems suspicious.