• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What was the first Super-villain crossover?
1 1

19 posts in this topic

It's long been a tradition in superhero comics that villains are assigned to heroes. It wasn't until Marvel in the 60s that you began to see a villain associated with one hero show up in the pages of another hero's book with any sort of regularity. I was wondering what the first case of a villain being used as the foil for a hero other than the one he or she was originally assigned to? I'm not counting titles like All-Star, where the team concept might have allowed for battle with more than just the traditional protagonist, but that character was still present. We're there even any prior to the Silver Age?

Yeah, there are lots of ways to answer depending on how you finetune the question.

There's a few issues of Weird Comics from 1940 where the Eagle feature has multiple villains teaming up and/or betraying and fighting each other. (I've always been a fan of that kind of story.)

Off the top of my head, there were a few Joker/Luthor teamups in Superman/Batman stories in the late GA. World's Finest #88 from 1957 seems to have been the first.

Jon Berk will know the answer. Or he can look it up for us.

Oh, wait.  Nevermind. :sorry:

31 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Yeah, there are lots of ways to answer depending on how you finetune the question.

There's a few issues of Weird Comics from 1940 where the Eagle feature has multiple villains teaming up and/or betraying and fighting each other. (I've always been a fan of that kind of story.)

Off the top of my head, there were a few Joker/Luthor teamups in Superman/Batman stories in the late GA. World's Finest #88 from 1957 seems to have been the first.

Were they villains associated with the Eagle, or had they been used with other Fox heroes?

24 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Vandal Savage maybe?

In as much as he battled other heroes in his JSA appearance as a member of the Injustice Society, this is probably right. But I was wondering if anyone had shown up in another character's strip, without it being connected to a team that the regular hero was on. 

44 minutes ago, Timely said:

I believe the 1st villain to crossover is Crazy Quilt. He moved from a Boy Commandos villain to a villain Robin faced in Star Spangled Comics. He then later appeared in Detective Comics. 

This is the sort of esoteric knowledge I was looking for. Thanks!

13 hours ago, rjpb said:

In as much as he battled other heroes in his JSA appearance as a member of the Injustice Society, this is probably right. But I was wondering if anyone had shown up in another character's strip, without it being connected to a team that the regular hero was on. 

Did Vandal Savage not first show up in Green Lantern and then against the Justice Society?

50 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

Did Vandal Savage not first show up in Green Lantern and then against the Justice Society?

Vandal Savage and The Gambler first appeared in Green Lantern, The Thinker first appeared in All-Flash. 

On 6/18/2017 at 2:10 PM, rjpb said:

It's long been a tradition in superhero comics that villains are assigned to heroes. It wasn't until Marvel in the 60s that you began to see a villain associated with one hero show up in the pages of another hero's book with any sort of regularity. I was wondering what the first case of a villain being used as the foil for a hero other than the one he or she was originally assigned to? I'm not counting titles like All-Star, where the team concept might have allowed for battle with more than just the traditional protagonist, but that character was still present. We're there even any prior to the Silver Age?

batman 25?

On 6/20/2017 at 8:31 AM, pemart1966 said:

Except that both of these villains were Batman specific - a team up yes but not a crossover...

On 6/20/2017 at 8:31 AM, pemart1966 said:

Except that both of these villains were Batman specific - a team up yes but not a crossover...

I stand corrected.