• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Staple tear, and staple pull-through issues

4 posts in this topic

PGM Staple tear, and staple pull-through issues

I have two different books with staple related problems, so I thought two posts in one thread would be ok.  These are the type of things I don't know anything about how to grade.  Ie is there a max possible grade with a tear or staple pull through?

Gallery is here if the auto-size in this thread doesn't look good for you.
http://imgur.com/a/Bk3zC

First one is Tomb of Dracula #13, where there is a tear around the back staple.  Dents and dings in other areas.

GRw4t7D.jpg

gZUUsmz.jpg

Jyod1xB.jpg

s0MwVTq.jpg

Second one is Doc Strange #28, an otherwise NM looking book where the bottom staple doesn't show up until four pages into the book.  Is this possibly a manufacturing error?  This book looks unread to me with no finger dents.  (the white line in his red cape is actually a hair/carpet not a spine tick)

Q8nxBRr.jpg

ICYB2tz.jpg

2HQ3gBk.jpg

Edited by 90sChild

The example with the staple starting on the 4th page will be regarded as a detached staple, as in detached from the cover. The flaw will be ignored in the grade but it would receive a Green, Qualified label.

The example with a staple tear on the back is pretty bad. It's one of those flaws that can get worse over time. It would be downgraded as such by CGC. BTW, there is no rule book for 'highest grade with a specific flaw'. It depends on the rest of the book.