• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EC reprints question

16 posts in this topic

EC reprints question

I want to buy hardcover reprints of EC Crime and Shock Suspenstories, but I don't want any of the modern computer colorized ones. I know there are a couple versions from the 80s and 90s but were they all done in color or black and white? What do you guys recommend for the most accurate and vintage looking reprints?

Thank you!

Probably not the most recommended method but I really enjoy buying coverless copies and having them bound at the bookstore. Still has the feel and smell but can read them without worries. They are getting more expensive this way though. The dark horse books are much less inexpensive and are pretty nice.

7 minutes ago, retrocomics said:

Probably not the most recommended method but I really enjoy buying coverless copies and having them bound at the bookstore. Still has the feel and smell but can read them without worries. They are getting more expensive this way though. The dark horse books are much less inexpensive and are pretty nice.

Yeah that would be most ideal. I can live with a reprint though, I just can't stand the computerized look.

The Russ Cochran books (The Complete EC Library) from the  80s were black and white, but well done. 

I think you would enjoy buying nice, white paged but well-loved originals. In lower grades, the war books are still affordable, and of the very highest quality!

4 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

The Russ Cochran books (The Complete EC Library) from the  80s were black and white, but well done. 

I think you would enjoy buying nice, white paged but well-loved originals. In lower grades, the war books are still affordable, and of the very highest quality!

Was there a color version in the late 80s/early 90s? It seems like I saw something like that before. I guess it looks like I will have to go with modern computerized or original then. (shrug)

Edited by atomic1950s

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I concur! The Cochran books are amazing. Supplement them with a few originals in lower grade once in a while. Nothing like the real deal. I keep a pile of original beaters un-bagged on a shelf in my closet for when I get a quick urge for a good read or two.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I concur! The Cochran books are amazing. Supplement them with a few originals in lower grade once in a while. Nothing like the real deal. I keep a pile of original beaters un-bagged on a shelf in my closet for when I get a quick urge for a good read or two.

I got several beat-but-complete copies of Frontline Combat, Valor, and Aces High from my LCS a year or so ago.  Some, with loose covers, were as little as $5.  You can also get Panic pretty cheap; it's not as good as Mad but it's extremely good on its own terms.  It's only the comparison to Mad that keeps its rep so low, I think.

10 hours ago, atomic1950s said:

Was there a color version in the late 80s/early 90s? It seems like I saw something like that before. I guess it looks like I will have to go with modern computerized or original then. (shrug)

Yes. There was a hardcover series, mostly in B&W, though I have a volume of Mad in colour.

But there was also a series of coloured reprints in comic format, also by Cochrane. There were several different packagings - 32 page floppies, 64 page double size issues and 'annuals' that had 5 issues each. There are plenty of them around. See here for one example: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=162711

Edited by AJD

8 hours ago, AJD said:

Yes. There was a hardcover series, mostly in B&W, though I have a volume of Mad in colour.

But there was also a series of coloured reprints in comic format, also by Cochrane. There were several different packagings - 32 page floppies, 64 page double size issues and 'annuals' that had 5 issues each. There are plenty of them around. See here for one example: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=162711

Ok great thanks for the info, I think what I saw was someone bound the loose reprints together.

I once had a MAD moment, I had bought the EC annuals with the five collected stories plus the EC library series. The moment came when I decided to use the annuals as colour guides and colour in the library volumes one by one! I was going to use coloured inks, brush in hand after having dipped it in the ink and I just could not do it. All the usual questions flooded into my brain:

1/ you're destroying a classic book  

2/ think how long this is going to take you

3/ I'm no artist

4/ take the lazy route leave them be

Thank goodness I went with a mixture of all four and decided to just enjoy them as they are, see there is hope for me yet?

On 6/18/2017 at 9:27 PM, KirbyJack said:

I honestly can't remember what the 90s Gladstone reprints were like inside, even tho I had a bunch. 

As for being a poor EC collector; yep.

Still fun!

I still have several of the early 90s Gladstone reprints.   I like the format and colors are good.   Only issue that sucks is Haunt of Fear 17 (3) because original art doesn't exist anymore.