• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HEROES CON 2018 June 15th-17th
2 2

125 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, 1p36DSA said:

Another great con, Heroes is the best!

Only compliant is CGC needs to figure out how to staff their booths, the wait times are just not acceptable for any business. I don’t understand how they just keep operating like this. No line management. People are there to get witnessed sigs and demand only keeps going up. 

Yeah. Seriously. I was in line briefly, and steered a few people with books over to other areas, after they thought the witness line was actually people wtg for grading. There were 5-6 people singly trying to get info or drop books etc, while there were 7 or 8 people in 1 line, wtg for witnesses. I did hear of a few people abusing the witnesses, going from artist to artist to artist, tying up 1 witness for over an hour or so, if not two.

I had another very satisfying year and I continue to be happy with how much this con scratches my nostalgic itch for the old conventions I went to in the late 80's/early 90's. I got the three-day pass this year, although I got there late Friday and that pretty much only gave me two full days to roam the floor (not enough for me). I attended South Carolina Comic Con a few months ago and was surprised how apathetic I was to everything there as I was stuck in a bit of a directionless slump for a little while, so I was actually quite excited at how reinvigorated I was digging through all the boxes at Heroes.

These pics show maybe half the floor, which is about all I managed to cover between Friday and Saturday. There's way more past 1100 (to the right) although the far right wall seemed to be where the fluff, novelty dealers were sequestered so it was a quick breeze through there....

IMG_3493.thumb.jpg.dcde2cd4366efac2e0194765e48fb0f6.jpgIMG_3494.thumb.jpg.2cc461762b0e475caae2bf96292e1168.jpgIMG_3495.thumb.jpg.5f0d38e0fc4d104cacf41a7195a96efe.jpg

Here are most of my pickups....

IMG_3489.thumb.jpg.c5f735d482de19a314ca76fd31dfbf5e.jpg

Lois Lane came from Dale. the X-Men stunners were from Worldwide. Bats 400 is one of my favorite issues and this FINALLY seems to be the raw NM+ "keeper" I've been looking for for years. From the "It's a Small World" category, the 'Tec 866 variant came from a dealer who, I found out, lives a few miles away from me. Supergirl #1 3rd Print I pulled out of a $5 box and looks to be at least a NM.

IMG_3497.thumb.jpg.2e4414c58c38e3be1fed1d40a77dda32.jpg

I was on a McFarlane binge. All except the polybagged #1 came out of dollar boxes.

1875763296_IMG_3499(1).thumb.jpg.e0b516df33347f08e391f02d03df663e.jpg

....and that's the stack of (mostly) Bats and 'Tecs I pulled from the same dollar-box booth. Spent $85 there. The boxes just went on and on. My stack was really teetering and sliding as I moved them down the line from box to box, so I decided to cash out before they just fell all over. I think I spent two hours there and didn't even finish. That booth was definitely packed with people, though, and I'd guess they had more than 50 long boxes (they said there were way more at the beginning of the weekend, but they had consolidated down from day to day).

IMG_3500.thumb.jpg.d811dbe3457c95dae83d02e88e8f5f57.jpg

Several of these TPB's were dirt cheap (75% off cover). Although not dirt cheap, the McFarlane Spidey trade is the 2nd volume, which I was missing and was actively hunting at the show. I thought it might be a long shot to find it, but I made sure I checked over every booth that was stocked with trades and was glad when I finally found a copy near the end of the day Sunday. Bought that and the Origin of the Hobgoblin TPB at the same booth, so the dealer knocked 40% off his price on those. The discount TPB booths tended to be some of the busiest at the show.

IMG_3501.thumb.jpg.9cf362bf5581f2b8733a054a82a78a21.jpg

Filled some Spidey wants, again from Worldwide and Dale, so you know they're keepers.

IMG_3503.thumb.jpg.34a9548f36e7766d1f5429c74a32827d.jpg

and some random stuff to close out. The FF's and Ghost Rider were more dollar-box pulls from the same dealer as the Bats and McSpideys. The Surfer What If? looks like a 9.6 and is one I was missing in my run. The X-Men 211, SS 50 and Spider-Ham are all things I tend to grab if I see nice copies.

The highlight of the show, though, was running into an old friend from college that I hadn't seen in over 20 years. Ran into him with just minutes left in the show, but we went out for dinner afterwards and had a great time catching up. Overall, another great year and I definitely spent more than what I had budgeted because I kept finding fun stuff: high-grade "keepers", cheap books that I couldn't pass up, run fillers, reading material, etc. Just a great blend of stuff that I will enjoy for many different reasons. 

That's my report! (thumbsu

This year was a dream for anyone trying to fill a run, and also shows how much non-keys have plummeted.  So many 50 cent boxes and some 25 cent boxes.  Even some dealers with deals on fill a long box for a set price. 

Along with a huge stack of 50 cent issues, and some statues, I walked away with this:

35472319_10160434514215133_7818034471038

I was hunting for a Spidey 300 but prices there were insane.

Edited by StingerMcK