• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question: White Stain Marks

8 posts in this topic

Question: White Stain Marks

Im wondering if any of you guys have any experience with white stain marks on old comic books. Is this a part of the paper degradation process? 

My impression is that water stains leaves a darker mark overtime. 

Any input is much appreciated. 

IMG_9055.PNG

IMG_9056.PNG

IMG_9057.PNG

IMG_9058.PNG

IMG_9059.PNG

33 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Those aren't white stains. They are most likely "clean" spots where water washed away the tanning that the rest of the book suffers from.

Thanks Joey,

So technically the comic is water damaged. 

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

Those aren't white stains. They are most likely "clean" spots where water washed away the tanning that the rest of the book suffers from.

Does it work that way? It seems one would be able to "clean" tanning if that were the case. I always figured it was due to areas of higher moisture content tanning more slowly, if it all. I've notice that books with rusty staples and moisture waviness, indicating time spent in a damp environment, are less likely to have tanning. 

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

Does it work that way? It seems one would be able to "clean" tanning if that were the case. I always figured it was due to areas of higher moisture content tanning more slowly, if it all. I've notice that books with rusty staples and moisture waviness, indicating time spent in a damp environment, are less likely to have tanning. 

You can clean tanned books. It is by washing the book in chemicals or water. Most don't do it because it results in a conserved book since the cleaned areas are usually dull and grainy in appearance.

The OP could easily create new spots by using a wet Q-Tip and touching the book in different areas. If you look at the area on the top back cover, closest to the open edge, you can see smaller splatter areas where water once hit it.

Edited by joeypost