• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it okay to ask a celebrity for a discount on signatures?

15 posts in this topic

I went to a Con recently and it was noted that a celebrity I needed on 5 items was $40 on the web site. Within a day, that changed to $50. When I got there, the box office said they sold out of the $50 tickets and you had to pay cash through the celebrity (more like his signing agent) and when I approached his booth,  he was $60 per. He signed maybe 30 items for the public at $60. I asked the signing agent if he could do $250 for 5 and before I could explain that it was $40 on the site and then $50, he was rather short in his response and barked at me. He didn't have a line at all with an hour to go and I paid the $60 per (had the books witnessed) and wondered if lower level celebrities that do the Con's for a partial living have issue with asking for a discount if you purchase 5 or even 10 signatures? You are dealing with cash after all and wondered if a Lou Ferrigno (or Sam Jones or Nichelle Nichols or Erin Gray)  would have issues with me if I worked to get a small discount on a small quantity? Any stories or examples you can share if possible, and much appreciate in your advance your replies. Thank you!

11 minutes ago, Monstertruck97 said:

I went to a Con recently and it was noted that a celebrity I needed on 5 items was $40 on the web site. Within a day, that changed to $50. When I got there, the box office said they sold out of the $50 tickets and you had to pay cash through the celebrity (more like his signing agent) and when I approached his booth,  he was $60 per. He signed maybe 30 items for the public at $60. I asked the signing agent if he could do $250 for 5 and before I could explain that it was $40 on the site and then $50, he was rather short in his response and barked at me. He didn't have a line at all with an hour to go and I paid the $60 per (had the books witnessed) and wondered if lower level celebrities that do the Con's for a partial living have issue with asking for a discount if you purchase 5 or even 10 signatures? You are dealing with cash after all and wondered if a Lou Ferrigno (or Sam Jones or Nichelle Nichols or Erin Gray)  would have issues with me if I worked to get a small discount on a small quantity? Any stories or examples you can share if possible, and much appreciate in your advance your replies. Thank you!

Ok if you have issues with a celebrity raising prices ask a person who works at the show if they can find out if such and such celebrity signed a contract guaranteeing that they would sign at such rate. If they did the show will tell that celebrity they are not following the contract and risk being kicked out or not invited back. Ferrigno is probably the biggest jerk I have ever ran into as a celebrity he ain't discounting and likely will make you hate his show because he will charge a random number on each item higher than listed on cons websites. Erin Gray, Sam Jones, and Nichelle Nichols won't give you a discount they sign autograph guarantees the show pays them what they don't make in an agreed upon amount for autograph without having to pay an appearance fee and Erin Gray reps a lot of these Stars convention appearances for her living and does not want to jeopardize that. That being said she does appear at a lot of shows as their rep and not a guest of the convention in that instance you may be able to ask her if she will sign something for you later in the show and is there an appropriate place when you are waiting to get her client's signature. 

1 hour ago, A-DONIS said:

First member post, 

As collectors WE NEVER haggle prices with celebrities.  

Only when you're arranging for a private signing with a high quantity of items to be signed can you negotiate a discount.  
Lesson of this story, if you really need something signed buy those signature tickets EARLY!!!

Good to know. First member post thanks you all for your replies as a long time board lurker and owner of several hundred cool yellow labels. I don't need the Hulk, it was an example and must say I am disappointed in him as a fan of The Hulk TV show growing up.

My background is in sports signatures (for thirty years) and at conventions, I can usually talk my way into a discount on small quantities and figured it would be easier here as you are negotiating directly with the celebrities (for the most part) where cash is exchanged, but guess I am incorrect. I always pay what they want, but was curious and learned a hard lesson that day. Thanks again.

9 hours ago, A-DONIS said:

First member post, 

As collectors WE NEVER haggle prices with celebrities.  

Blanket statements :cloud9:

I don't know who this collective "WE" is, but there's certainly a time and a place for this.  Most of the time, you're right.  If you want a signature on an item, you pay the rate listed at the table.  However, I've seen a celebrity's signing price negotiated successfully to the benefit of all parties on a number of occasions.  Tact and situational awareness are key. 

7 hours ago, Turtle said:

Blanket statements :cloud9:

I don't know who this collective "WE" is, but there's certainly a time and a place for this.  Most of the time, you're right.  If you want a signature on an item, you pay the rate listed at the table.  However, I've seen a celebrity's signing price negotiated successfully to the benefit of all parties on a number of occasions.  Tact and situational awareness are key. 

Let me rephrase,

At an open line during a celebrity signing..... :) 

Wish i had known about Ferrigno.  He advertises his sig at 40 dollars.  I got to his booth with no one in line at all, he looks at my 2 marvel magazines that I had already placed in front of him and I gave the handler 80 bucks.  He then says its 80 dollars per signature.  I should have walked away but felt like I was obligated as he already had his pen out and was about to sign.  Well, lesson learned to never again get his sig as he will randomly charge whatever he wants.  Anyway, I am not sure I should say which celebrities did this, but I had twenty one books at 50 bucks each for one celebrity which was 1050 dollars.  I asked the handler if they could do it for 900 and they accepted.  I also had 1 other celebrity sign 14 books at 50 each which came out to 700 bucks.  I asked the handler if they could do it for 600 and they also accepted.  Never hurts to ask is the bottom line.

10 hours ago, bronze paradise said:

Wish i had known about Ferrigno.  He advertises his sig at 40 dollars.  I got to his booth with no one in line at all, he looks at my 2 marvel magazines that I had already placed in front of him and I gave the handler 80 bucks.  He then says its 80 dollars per signature.  I should have walked away but felt like I was obligated as he already had his pen out and was about to sign.  Well, lesson learned to never again get his sig as he will randomly charge whatever he wants.  Anyway, I am not sure I should say which celebrities did this, but I had twenty one books at 50 bucks each for one celebrity which was 1050 dollars.  I asked the handler if they could do it for 900 and they accepted.  I also had 1 other celebrity sign 14 books at 50 each which came out to 700 bucks.  I asked the handler if they could do it for 600 and they also accepted.  Never hurts to ask is the bottom line.

That sucks about Ferrigno.  I've heard similar stories a LOT about him over the years.  Take comfort in knowing you're not alone.  I'm sure a lot of people have a "I wish I had reacted like this" moment with him.

I may have the person wrong, but I think I read a story where Comix4Fun (maybe Seanfingh...you lawyers are all the same to me ;)) walked away with his pride and his unsigned books after Ferrigno tried some funny business with his pricing. 

9 hours ago, Turtle said:

That sucks about Ferrigno.  I've heard similar stories a LOT about him over the years.  Take comfort in knowing you're not alone.  I'm sure a lot of people have a "I wish I had reacted like this" moment with him.

I may have the person wrong, but I think I read a story where Comix4Fun (maybe Seanfingh...you lawyers are all the same to me ;)) walked away with his pride and his unsigned books after Ferrigno tried some funny business with his pricing. 

Seanfingh is the master of just walking away - I still remember going with him to Suydam so he could get a sig on some random, no-value copper age book. When Suydam informed him of his ridiculous Marvel Zombies-bloated signature fee, Sean turned around, started walking away and as he passed a nearby trash can, threw the book straight in the trash. Good times.