• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fletcher Hanks

13 posts in this topic

I'm looking for an original Fletcher Hanks story. He wrote and drew character like Stardust, Phantama, etc. His stories have been collected in two TPB by Fantagraphic. I wanted an original. I know most stories are in Planet Comics. 

Question: can you get a decent reader of Planet Comics for a couple hundred or are they all astronomically priced? Not real knowledgeable on GA books. 

Thanks

Edited by NoMan

Hanks only did a couple stories for Planet, I believe, but they are in early issues, which won't be cheap. The Stardust stories were printed in Fantastic, another title that isn't cheap. You might have better luck with his stories in Jungle and Fight, which generally should run less. If it's the stories you are mainly interested in, I'd look for a lower grade or restored copy with better than average page quality.  His wikipedia page has a list of his stories.

3 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Hanks only did a couple stories for Planet, I believe, but they are in early issues, which won't be cheap. The Stardust stories were printed in Fantastic, another title that isn't cheap. You might have better luck with his stories in Jungle and Fight, which generally should run less. If it's the stories you are mainly interested in, I'd look for a lower grade or restored copy with better than average page quality.  His wikipedia page has a list of his stories.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I read the wiki page but was hoping for a little more insight into the price range of the different titles which you kindly provided. Thanks again!

2 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Try to find coverless copies, they are way cheaper and great for people that don't care as long as they can read and have the comic, like me.

It looks that's the only way with my budget. Thanks for your thoughts. 

15 minutes ago, NoMan said:

It looks that's the only way with my budget. Thanks for your thoughts. 

If you are cool with coverless keep an eye out for Fantastic  2, 4-8 all of which have two Hanks stories including a Stardust. They should be less than $200 coverless. 1 and 3 might run a little more.

4 minutes ago, rjpb said:

If you are cool with coverless keep an eye out for Fantastic  2, 4-8 all of which have two Hanks stories including a Stardust. They should be less than $200 coverless. 1 and 3 might run a little more.

:foryou:

Try an early Jungle.  Those should be cheaper than just about any other title and the Fantomah stories can really knock it out of the park.   The Big Red McLane stories in Fight are generally not up to snuff with the jungle/sci-fi stories.  

I really love the Fletcher Hanks stories. They are what sparked my interest in early Fox Comics some 15 years ago. (Back when I thought his name was Henry Fletcher!)

If you can't swing the early Fantastics, the early Jungles with Fantomah are a great idea. You can use your TPBs as a guide, but I seem to remember stories in #4 and #15 being particular standouts.