• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Four colour comics question

5 posts in this topic

Four colour comics question

I recently posted in the Golden age thread about a moment of madness were I had decided to ink my EC library volumes (on reflection NO) long story short leads to my question. I'm familiar with the term four colour comics, however how many colours were actually used? As it was EC I'm interested in can anyone let me know as I think this would be very interesting to know. 

So it's basically inkjet printer colours? However I thought that people such as Marie Severin inked the pages before hand and used a number of colours, that's the question I wanted to know. Thank you for the reply unca Ben maybe I should have explained it a bit better. 

4 colours but 5 plates were and are used in printing comics. They break the colours in the comics down to Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black but then they print a 2nd black plate from the original inked artwork. This allows the black inks to stand out. If they printed just the Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, and Black plates of the coloured artwork the inks links would not stand out like they do in most comic books.

2 hours ago, tv horror said:

So it's basically inkjet printer colours? However I thought that people such as Marie Severin inked the pages before hand and used a number of colours, that's the question I wanted to know. Thank you for the reply unca Ben maybe I should have explained it a bit better. 

They can combine the three colors, and this along with halftoning (small dots) produces a range of colors.