• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA books still flying under the radar
1 1

305 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, Mystafo said:

Always thought Weird Science #9 should go for more than it does in all but the highest grades...my absolute favorite Wally Wood cover.  THE DETAIL!

163976-18944-112665-1-weird-science.jpg

So many just classic off the hook EC covers. The answer to your question is probably because they are about the most beloved books in comics. Most of them including this beauty are fairly common. I have owned all of them. Many up to 10 times. 

So many awesome Woody covers, this one is way up there on the list for me too. 

18 hours ago, rsouxlja7 said:

I read in the past some users felt that Detective 38 is relatively undervalued given its significance and the prices of the pre-Robins. Is this common consensus or has the book caught up to a more appropriate market value? 

For a long time it was held back by what a lot of collectors considered a lousy cover.  The jokey superhero DC covers have typically sold at a significant discount.  But the heating up of early Batman Tecs and the fact that -- like him or not -- Robin was a significant GA hero has caused prices to rise sharply the past few years. 

On 7/9/2017 at 10:25 PM, Hoarder said:

I have posted these before, but I think the Green Hornet Cover Run from #13-24 has some amazing covers.  I think the Schomburg covers are generally hard to find and a couple (#18 and #19) are truly classics.

Green Hornet Comics 18 Front.jpg

Green Hornet Comics 19.jpg

greenhornet23.jpg

greenhornet26.jpg

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:
8 hours ago, Mystafo said:

Always thought Weird Science #9 should go for more than it does in all but the highest grades...my absolute favorite Wally Wood cover.  THE DETAIL!

163976-18944-112665-1-weird-science.jpg

So many just classic off the hook EC covers. The answer to your question is probably because they are about the most beloved books in comics. Most of them including this beauty are fairly common. I have owned all of them. Many up to 10 times. 

So many awesome Woody covers, this one is way up there on the list for me too. 

My favorite as well. I have been chasing the original art for this cover for a few years but the present owner is pretty attached to it.

31 minutes ago, Point Five said:

This Blue Bolt still seems pretty well under the radar. Neat cover!

j77nzt.jpg

LB Cole?

On 7/9/2017 at 8:25 PM, Hoarder said:

I have posted these before, but I think the Green Hornet Cover Run from #13-24 has some amazing covers.  I think the Schomburg covers are generally hard to find and a couple (#18 and #19) are truly classics.

Green Hornet Comics 18 Front.jpg

Green Hornet Comics 19.jpg

Those two seem to go for about twice what the other Schomburg Hornets do at auction, so it would seem collectors concur with you.

7 hours ago, piper said:
7 hours ago, Point Five said:

This Blue Bolt still seems pretty well under the radar. Neat cover!

j77nzt.jpg

LB Cole?

Being a highly-regarded expert on GA artists, I can say without hesitation that it is, indeed, Cole.

Of course, beyond my expertise, there's his signature near the top of the rock in the lower left. :)

On 7/14/2017 at 10:22 PM, Iksar said:

1st printed image of this one guy...

MF31.jpg

MF31i.jpg

First Robinson Crusoe in comics!  That's great.

But wait ... is this actually Robinson Crusoe or a kid pretending to be Robinson Crusoe? hm

8 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Good point! Here's a couple examples. I'm sure there's cooler covers, but it's what I've got.

image.jpeg

Matt Damon prototype issue! (: