• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA books still flying under the radar
1 1

305 posts in this topic

GA books still flying under the radar

Are there any, really? By that  mean something that five or ten years hence might make people think "If only....".  Sure, most everything will appreciate to some extent. Any ideas on books that might be candidates to do what, say Punch 12 has done (explode) in recent years? That's just the first example that came to mind.

You picked a good example and i think there is still books flying under the radar.One would be Blue Bolt 105 great cover and never comes up for sale because no one can bring themselves to part with a copy (thumbsu

8 minutes ago, comicjack said:

You picked a good example and i think there is still books flying under the radar.One would be Blue Bolt 105 great cover and never comes up for sale because no one can bring themselves to part with a copy (thumbsu

That one does not come up often, though the copy in the Berk auction just came up. It was an 8.0 and sold for $2500 or so I think?

There is very little undiscovered, though there are still some genres that are perhaps under appreciated. What is perhaps harder to figure out is which books go from being $250 ppp books to $2500 ppp books in low to mid grade in the next decade. Classic covers are generally a good investment, but it seems sort of random as to which ones rocket into the stratosphere, and which ones just have healthy growth. 

I think the bondage/torture covers from Zip and Pep are just now starting to really take off. Zip especially. Pep has already pretty much exploded, the whole run up to #50.

Edited by twmjr1

2 minutes ago, rjpb said:

There is very little undiscovered, though there are still some genres that are perhaps under appreciated. What is perhaps harder to figure out is which books go from being $250 ppp books to $2500 ppp books in low to mid grade in the next decade. Classic covers are generally a good investment, but it seems sort of random as to which ones rocket into the stratosphere, and which ones just have healthy growth. 

That's what I was getting at, and I think the Biro cover Zips I mentioned are good candidates. Not that many of them left to boot.  Lower grade raw copies are pushing $1000 now.

Edited by twmjr1

Seems like there are always new cool cover books that get discovered and bid up.  I'm blanking on the title, but what's the book with the woman spy sitting on the window sill looking in at the German soldiers gathered around a table? 

Most Hitler covers have really heated up in the last year or two.  Never entirely neglected, but never as hot as they are now.

The boards have given a boost to some books, like Rifleman 10.

Edited by Sqeggs

50 minutes ago, comicjack said:

Which is a bargain for a cover like that one of Cole's greatest IMHO 

I'm a big Cole fan, but the word balloon, green bar on the left, and text on that cover is a distraction.  I much prefer Suspense 8, Mask 1 and 2, Contact 12, etc.  I even prefer many of his Star books.

23 minutes ago, *paull* said:

I'm a big Cole fan, but the word balloon, green bar on the left, and text on that cover is a distraction.  I much prefer Suspense 8, Mask 1 and 2, Contact 12, etc.  I even prefer many of his Star books.

Cover text is a distraction on a lot of Star books, one reason I always liked his Continental output more. 

17 minutes ago, 143ksk said:

:)

s133.jpg

This book is already kind of pricey, and while it's not a bad cover and has some GGA appeal, I confess I've never really understood the demand for it. And what the hell was up with the numbering on this series anyway?

1 hour ago, 143ksk said:

:)

s133.jpg

Thanks!  That's the one.  I don't think I had ever seen a copy before the Church copy sold for a high price and then a couple of mid-grade copies went for more than I would have expected. 

49 minutes ago, rjpb said:

This book is already kind of pricey, and while it's not a bad cover and has some GGA appeal, I confess I've never really understood the demand for it. And what the hell was up with the numbering on this series anyway?

Dodging the second-class mail deposit more flamboyantly than usual, I guess. 

4 hours ago, twmjr1 said:

I think the bondage/torture covers from Zip and Pep are just now starting to really take off. Zip especially. Pep has already pretty much exploded, the whole run up to #50.

As a long-time collector, it's really interesting to look back and see which under-the-radar books have greatly risen in demand/value. Pep/Zip is a very good example.

Look at the rocket growth of Baker/St. John romance books (and select others) in recent times.

The later Fox books are another category which have just exploded.

Negro titles are something that have recently intrigued me, but I can't judge if they're under-the-radar or not as they generally are acknowledged as scarce and are pricey.

I really can't offer a solid opinion on the OP's question - as trite as it sounds, I've always collected what I like whether the books are popular or not. The hobby is so diverse, there is something for everyone!

Edited by sacentaur

On a serious note, I love/hate this topic. If I think something cool is truly flying under the radar I probably won't be talking about it.  I think there are books that have been under the radar but just recently have been getting traction amd are still on the upswing. Of course, I am only really looking at the gga market.  Here is a mover recently.  

IMG_1780.jpg

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

On a serious note, I love/hate this topic. If I think something cool is truly flying under the radar I probably won't be talking about it.  I think there are books that have been under the radar but just recently have been getting traction amd are still on the upswing. Of course, I am only really looking at the gga market.  Here is a mover recently.  

IMG_1780.jpg

I've had this book for decades. What's its significance??