• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA books still flying under the radar
1 1

305 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

On a serious note, I love/hate this topic. If I think something cool is truly flying under the radar I probably won't be talking about it.  I think there are books that have been under the radar but just recently have been getting traction amd are still on the upswing. Of course, I am only really looking at the gga market.  Here is a mover recently.  

IMG_1780.jpg

Rick, take this photo down.... I don't want to be competing with more boardies for this.  And issue 41 :gossip:

15 hours ago, comicjack said:

You picked a good example and i think there is still books flying under the radar.One would be Blue Bolt 105 great cover and never comes up for sale because no one can bring themselves to part with a copy (thumbsu

I wish I could find a copy.

I heard they were making a new high budget Captain Gallant of the Foreign Legion with Brad Pitt so buckle up to start cleaning those warehouses :wishluck:

Seriously, I have wondered why the early ACG sci-fi and horror books don't get more love.  Some do have intriguing covers.  I don't collect them and at least the few issues I have read, the stories are pretty stiff.   

16 hours ago, rjpb said:

Cover text is a distraction on a lot of Star books, one reason I always liked his Continental output more. 

Now the recreation of Blue Bolt 105 on the other hand....   a thing of beauty:

Spoiler

f0050d04db51c18edaece5d3680d567e--cosmic

Edited by *paull*

3 hours ago, Point Five said:

Shock Suspenstories #6, while not cheap per se, seems like one that's been undervalued for some time compared to other classic covers.

I am constantly shocked that this book doesn't sell for twice what it does. 

14 minutes ago, october said:

I am constantly shocked that this book doesn't sell for twice what it does. 

Large ish print run?

4 hours ago, Point Five said:

Shock Suspenstories #6, while not cheap per se, seems like one that's been undervalued for some time compared to other classic covers.

Yep undervalued ... as some Tomb of terror books , #15 still has room to grow in my opinion , Tomb of terror 3 , 13 and 16 are killer covers and they are still very cheap IMO

Edited by Mijael.Levy

23 minutes ago, piper said:

Large ish print run?

Hard to know for sure, but I wouldn't think the print run was any different than Crime Suspenstories #22, which according to GPA currently sells for 4x-6x (!) the price of the SSS #6.

3 minutes ago, Point Five said:

Hard to know for sure, but I wouldn't think the print run was any different than Crime Suspenstories #22, which according to GPA currently sells for 4x-6x (!) the price of the SSS #6.

I'm happy to own a copy of both! :banana:

24 minutes ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Yep undervalued ... as some Tomb of terror books , #15 still has room to grow in my opinion , Tomb of terror 3 , 13 and 16 are killer covers and they are still very cheap IMO

I think TOT15 is right where it should be due to not being as scarce as other top pre-code covers.  HA sold two file copies last year in 9.2 and 9.4 for around 5K.  There seem to be many high-grade copies out there.

11 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Girls exercising. 

If your copy is nice (6.0 or better) PM me :wishluck:

It's raw, about a 4.0  I'd guess. Like I said, I've had it forever. I bought it with about 100 other silver age Archies from a now-defunct dealer in WA about 25 years ago.

13 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

On a serious note, I love/hate this topic. If I think something cool is truly flying under the radar I probably won't be talking about it.  I think there are books that have been under the radar but just recently have been getting traction amd are still on the upswing. Of course, I am only really looking at the gga market.  Here is a mover recently.  

IMG_1780.jpg

Nice pick. Just picked one up off of eBay

http://m.ebay.com/itm/ARCHIES-GIRLS-COMIC-BETTY-AND-VERONICA-40-JAN-1959-/263031367631?hash=item3d3de427cf%3Ag%3AswsAAOSw42JZNz8d&_trkparms=pageci%3A2e1be8bc-569b-11e7-83fd-74dbd1808179%7Cparentrq%3Acb65084a15c0a9921b6e2a42fff9c798%7Ciid%3A4

I would have to go with PCH poor step child, Crime comics. So many great covers. Heck, almost any of the first 25 or so CDNP are classic. Many bondage, torture, violent books every bit as good as PCH

Also teen age books are starting to really take off. So many classic covers. They have been dirt cheap forever.