• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GA books still flying under the radar
1 1

305 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I'm not a Ditko fan at all. To me, the cover of this book is way better than the Ditko story.

The merits of the story in his first published work (Daring Love #1) notwithstanding, I believe one day the owners of the 2727 AF#15 that is on the census (and Ditko fans that can't afford a copy) will turn their attention to appreciation for the historical importance of the GA Ditko work. Compared to $7000+ on a 1.0 AF#15, Ditko's GA work is 'flying under the radar', for now. 

2 hours ago, zosocane said:

Semi-classic cover ECs are getting tougher to find in nice mid-grade to upper mid-grade, and grail cover ECs (CSS 22; SSS 6) at all grade levels are spiking up again.

This is probably my favourite (or close to) Davis cover at EC. Still very affordable too.

abb36e3e1ad76b499895ca19bfae5d7c15605c46

46 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

You probably should not have showed me this one.  B|

All good, Rick. FYI, four on the census, highest one in 6.0. Most recent raw on eBay was lower mid-grade IIRC and went for $180 and change, just under OSPG 9.0. I think it's under the radar in the sense that one does not see it often, so many don't know about it, but people figure it out quick and pony up when they see one. 

Maybe some common traits to watch for with new superbooks like Suspense or Fantastic #3 is they had covers by name artists and were always difficult to locate. Now Punch #12 isn't nearly as difficult until people really started locking them up in collections.

So maybe start watching books that rarely are offered compared to a few years ago. Blue Bolt #105 is there already and Mister Mystery #6 is getting there a little more each year.

Edited by N e r V

Admitted self promotion of a book I recently got a copy of here (though I have no intention of ever selling it), and it's not in the price range of most of the stuff yall are discussing but I'm still shocked this one sits at a paltry 65$ for a 9.2 in the OPG.  It's got a great creepy farmer/peeping tom/young lovers cover that just screams classic.  And who among us didn't want fun and popularity and at one time or another think about joining a teenage sex club??

I get that it might not be rare, but is this title one any more common than other Harveys like Chamber of Chills 23 that people are going bananas for?

594b3b4f9d164_teenagesexclub2.jpg.e438f882fb42d1cb7bb3cfb4dffc2e64.jpg

25 minutes ago, szavisca said:

Admitted self promotion of a book I recently got a copy of here (though I have no intention of ever selling it), and it's not in the price range of most of the stuff yall are discussing but I'm still shocked this one sits at a paltry 65$ for a 9.2 in the OPG.  It's got a great creepy farmer/peeping tom/young lovers cover that just screams classic.  And who among us didn't want fun and popularity and at one time or another think about joining a teenage sex club??

I get that it might not be rare, but is this title one any more common than other Harveys like Chamber of Chills 23 that people are going bananas for?

Ditto. One of the best covers of the genre IMHO 

9 hours ago, N e r V said:

I'm almost done with my short Venus run (#9-19) so if it's under the radar I'm glad I'm almost finished.

That said, I think the series is still a bargain for some of its covers. Maybe it'll just sit where it's at interest wise but I won't be shocked if copies of 17,18, and 19 run up in the future.

19 is still probably one of the better known PCH classic covers.

I don't think the 17-19 are under the radar in any sense at this point.  Which doesn't mean the radar doesn't show them still climbing.

I DO think the other Everett covers- 13, 15, and 16- are real candidates to jump.  They're not as impressive as the 17-19, but they're still very nice Everett horror/ GGA covers.  And with the last issues jumping like they are, they are nice alternatives.

6 hours ago, Readcomix said:

I've posted this elsewhere before, but I think this cover is an absolute winner -- Crandall headlights, bondage, racist stereotype villain....and the splash page...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I use to own a copy. If that splash was the cover, this book would be untouchable.

36 minutes ago, comicnoir said:

I use to own a copy. If that splash was the cover, this book would be untouchable.

No, the guy with the whip doesn't work for me. Now if the Asian girl was doing the whipping then it might reach super classic status. lol

7 hours ago, szavisca said:

I agree, examples of this quality are under the radar. The catalyst to propel to new heights is for a new generation of collectors to recognize it as we do within our distinguish group.

When the day comes for neophyte collectors to expand beyond the super hero genre, sky's the limit. 

13 minutes ago, tabcom said:

I agree, examples of this quality are under the radar. The catalyst to propel to new heights is for a new generation of collectors to recognize it as we do within our distinguish group.

When the day comes for neophyte collectors to expand beyond the super hero genre, sky's the limit. 

I'm with you guys; this one is on my radar for a while!

5 hours ago, N e r V said:

No, the guy with the whip doesn't work for me. Now if the Asian girl was doing the whipping then it might reach super classic status. lol

5 hours ago, N e r V said:

If the Asian girl were doing the whipping, there would be no need to discuss this book in this thread. :insane:

18 hours ago, N e r V said:

I know everyone loves #3 but I think #8 is another one that will find its day in a bigger way. 

26816a1f6c9fc7bd5724e99be54c5815f1b522db

This book received a big boost following the Gerber volumes, but then faded a bit.  I think it's due for a big surge.  All-time killer L.B. Cole cover!

This must be one tough book in anything 5.0 and above.  The majority of copies have rough and or brittle spines (as per the norm for Continental books including Suspense and Terrific).  My copy looks very similar to the one shown here.

20 hours ago, Mijael.Levy said:

There is a  Mister Mystery 6 auction but it seems the interiors are tan ... anyway i was looking at the sold listings and i found this book, it sold for a good money despite the low grade and there are 3 people watching the listed photocopy

s-l1600.jpg

It was missing two center wraps, but no one buys this for the stories. Even with the detached cover, had it been complete it would have sold for twice as much.