• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on a purchase
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Advice on a purchase

Hi all. I can't decide on which to pick up so I was just wondering which you would choose out of these options. 

avengers 1 mid grade

brave and the bold 28 mid grade

flash 105 mid grade

amazing spiderman 1 low grade

thanks for looking.

To a certain degree. I want to put one away as a gift for my son when he reaches 18. So it's a long term keep. It would be nice that if he doesn't want it in the future it could be worth more than I would pay now.

3 hours ago, Gazhands said:

Advice on a purchase

Hi all. I can't decide on which to pick up so I was just wondering which you would choose out of these options. 

avengers 1 mid grade

flash 105 mid grade

thanks for looking.

Whichever one you can afford and like the best.

That's the only right answer.

On 6/21/2017 at 11:00 AM, Gazhands said:

Advice on a purchase

avengers 1 mid grade

flash 105 mid grade

thanks for looking.

That's a tough list to choose from.

I'd go with either the Avengers 1, ASM 1 and the BB 28, but choose your BB 28 wisley. I'd go with the Avengers 1. 

hm all good choices. I definitely wouldn't by the Fl105.

Probably ASM1 but it's purely an aesthetic choice on my part.

Personally I would cross ASM#1 off the list. I just do not think that would be a sound investment nor a wise direction to send your money. Sorry.

Probably Avengers #1 would be my choice. If not then B&B #28.

I feel the first appearances will make for a more sound return.

Edited by H0RR0RSH0W

3 hours ago, H0RR0RSH0W said:

Personally I would cross ASM#1 off the list. I just do not think that would be a sound investment nor a wise direction to send your money. Sorry.

Probably Avengers #1 would be my choice. If not then B&B #28.

I feel the first appearances will make for a more sound return.

:whistle:  Don't think Avengers or BB 28 is the 1st of anything except the formation of the teams.  I'd go with a low/mid-grade X-Men 1 or JIM 83 since they are 1st appearances of characters which seem to do better over time then 1st team appearances.

Just now, 1Cool said:

:whistle:  Don't think Avengers or BB 28 is the 1st of anything except the formation of the teams.  I'd go with a low/mid-grade X-Men 1 or JIM 83 since they are 1st appearances of characters which seem to do better over time then 1st team appearances.

So would I but neither of those 2nd  books are on the OP's list.:baiting:

BB 28 = 1st app JLA

Avengers 1 = 1st app and origin of the Avengers.

To qualify : not the first app of the hero's but rather the first app of the teams.

I would not put too much thought about a book appreciating over that time period. It very well might go the other way-- depends on how the hobby is doing.

That said, I would lean away from this type of purchase in general-- the market is really high currently for all those books. They certainly could have upside left on a long hold or the movies might cool off along with interest in comics. Also by that time, many of these books might be hitting the market as older collectors sell off,

Pick up something that has interest to you or might be relevant to your son instead (I'm assuming you weren't around when these books came out originally). Many go for books that were selling when they were born, or when they started collecting, or some other special time.

Any time I see someone talk about "investing" in a comic I see that as very risky in the long term.