• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I invest in MS Marvel #1 1977 ?
2 2

46 posts in this topic

Should I invest in MS Marvel #1 1977 ?

Hi folks  first time long time!  Just like many of you I grew up loving the art and stories that marvel & dc comics offered  along with trading cards. I'm a huge fan of the MCU and have watched all movies (expect Iron Man #3, I hear you can miss this one :D) and just started collecting comics that I could never have or missed out on having. 

So far I have invested in Black Panther #1 GCG 9.8, Avengers #125 CGC 9.8. I know that movie rumors fuel the hype and prices go up.  I currently have my eye on MS. Marvel 1977 #1 9.8. Now as many of you know the price is anywhere from 1000-1500. Is this a worthy buy at its current price? Has it always been around this price? Also will it only increase due to trailers dropping or closer when the movie will be released? Not sure if I should buy now or wait. 

Thanks for any suggestions!

I may be in the minority, but I am saying "no".

1) Movie hype will die down
2) Too many copies of this book are out there
3) There are many better ways to "invest" $1,000 - $1,500

21 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Hey BlowUpTheMoon.  I appreciate your honest opinion. All valid points to consider. It very well may be that I am in this honey moon phase of collecting and relying too much on the MCU for direction, perhaps I should set my sights elsewhere ...

Put me in the same camp as BUTM. There's already 160 9.8 Ms. Marvel #1s in the census, and 115 Black Panther #1s. Not many Avengers #125, but I'd imagine that's because there's little demand rather than scarcity. After the hype dies down they won't go back to being dollar bin fodder as they were for years and years, but they're not going to be $1500 books. Just curious - why buy a Panther #1 rather than a Fantastic Four #52?

20 minutes ago, Pontoon said:

Put me in the same camp as BUTM. There's already 160 9.8 Ms. Marvel #1s in the census, and 115 Black Panther #1s. Not many Avengers #125, but I'd imagine that's because there's little demand rather than scarcity. After the hype dies down they won't go back to being dollar bin fodder as they were for years and years, but they're not going to be $1500 books. Just curious - why buy a Panther #1 rather than a Fantastic Four #52?

I see your point.  I would have to believe the hype is where you can make a quick profit if that is your thing and not collecting for your own stash.  I considered Fantastic Four #52 First Appearance of Black Panther, but do you have $90,000 I can borrow? :D One sold last year in April for that amount and has been the bench mark for a 9.8. The hype train has left the station and isn't turning back any time soon. It's untouchable unless you are willing to pay a ridiculous amount. Low grade 9's are going for around $7,500. Basically I bought what I could afford knowing that it will only increase in value as the Fantastic Four #52 is flying to close to the sun right now for us mere mortals, the thought is everyone will turn their sights on the Black Panther #1 even with 115 out there. 

Here is some examples - http://www.comiclink.com/search.asp?where=sell&title=fantastic+four+52&ItemType=CB

26 minutes ago, Christwarrior316 said:

It feels  just like the stock market these days... rises and falls based on trends...

How do you feel about Jungle Action #5

1 hour ago, Christwarrior316 said:

It feels  just like the stock market these days... rises and falls based on trends...

Because that is exactly what it is.

There is no underlying fundamental emotional attachment to the characters. It's just speculation based on movie performance.

Comics used to be valued because readers wanted a copy.

4 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

I'm in this camp too. Way too many copies. If you want one because you like it, fine buy a pretty raw one in the high side of mid grade just to read and have. But for a $1500 investment I would look elsewhere.

3 hours ago, Christwarrior316 said:

I would have to believe the hype is where you can make a quick profit

Yes.  And the people selling Ms. Marvel #1 for $1,000 - $1,500 are the ones making the quick profit.

It's all a gamble.  Books heat back up with each movie release. For $1500, I'd look to early silver instead for more long term stability. Unless of course you like it that much and gotta have it.  Or you could just get a Hulk 181 :)  

Edited by Kevin76

Buy a CGC 9.6 for $300 if you need a copy.  That is the current middle sale range.  At every comic con I go to dealers are asking $400-500 because they probably all paid $300 too.  The price is still compressed in 9.6 but the jump to 9.8 of $1000 is a really mind blowing 350%+ increase.  This is not the norm at all on other books for the difference between 9.6/9.8 grades.  

Edited by 90sChild

4 hours ago, Christwarrior316 said:

I see your point.  I would have to believe the hype is where you can make a quick profit if that is your thing and not collecting for your own stash.  I considered Fantastic Four #52 First Appearance of Black Panther, but do you have $90,000 I can borrow? :D One sold last year in April for that amount and has been the bench mark for a 9.8. The hype train has left the station and isn't turning back any time soon. It's untouchable unless you are willing to pay a ridiculous amount. Low grade 9's are going for around $7,500. Basically I bought what I could afford knowing that it will only increase in value as the Fantastic Four #52 is flying to close to the sun right now for us mere mortals, the thought is everyone will turn their sights on the Black Panther #1 even with 115 out there. 

Here is some examples - http://www.comiclink.com/search.asp?where=sell&title=fantastic+four+52&ItemType=CB

Ignore the two 90k sales.  All copies that came to market after them have sold for far far less.  Around 30k I believe. It was a moment of irrational exuberance at auction.

back to your question though, it's hard for many of us to give advice on comics like MS Marvel 1 today when we know these books you are seeking as common dollar box books prior to their recent status as "hot movie first appearances". Certainly that makes them exciting and more valuable, but questionable as "investments"  the idea when investing in comics is to catch them before the run up, and none of these books fit that profile any more.

thats not to say that they won't increase any higher... but the downside is far more likely. Meaning when the heat passes, after the movie opens, you are sitting on a stale investment and others will also be looking to unload theirs . Not a sellers market for you. 

If if this is your budget range for playing in the comics market, I'd look for something more stable, been popular for longer, that may still have a movie announcement upside play to it.

3 hours ago, VintageComics said:

To read and admire artwork you mean?  I wish I had the cash to collect covers but  I gotta dig the stories too. Gotta be both for me. Lots of those House of  Secrets and House of mystery covers are awesome but stories suck. 

Re ms marvel: I dunno. I can't get over how that and she hulk are so pricey. We couldn't throw those titles hard and fast enough across the room.  

But if you dig it that's all that matters. 

2 minutes ago, NoMan said:
4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

To read and admire artwork you mean?

Yep.

13 hours ago, Aman619 said:

Ignore the two 90k sales.  All copies that came to market after them have sold for far far less.  Around 30k I believe. It was a moment of irrational exuberance at auction.

back to your question though, it's hard for many of us to give advice on comics like MS Marvel 1 today when we know these books you are seeking as common dollar box books prior to their recent status as "hot movie first appearances". Certainly that makes them exciting and more valuable, but questionable as "investments"  the idea when investing in comics is to catch them before the run up, and none of these books fit that profile any more.

thats not to say that they won't increase any higher... but the downside is far more likely. Meaning when the heat passes, after the movie opens, you are sitting on a stale investment and others will also be looking to unload theirs . Not a sellers market for you. 

If if this is your budget range for playing in the comics market, I'd look for something more stable, been popular for longer, that may still have a movie announcement upside play to it.

Finding books with a high floor and high ceiling relative to purchase price, that you personally enjoy, and within your budget is easier said than done (for me anyways). Almost everything's future potential has already been priced in to some degree.  I for one am more comfortable as a buy and hold guy. I'll admit I've tried some quick(ish) flips (still years for me) to help fund my long-term buys but am not very good at it. Seems no matter how quick I am, the pros (aka you guys) are one step ahead...

Edited by Callaway29

I'm a buy and hold guy too, and my advice was along those lines.  I wasn't saying buy now to flip.  But, buy something now that will increase over time, and won't have a shelf life where you could hold on to it too long.  Time has always been my friend with all the comics Ive bought. But, I was buying many many years and cycles ago. Way before the media exploded comics awareness !

I don't see much out there at prices I still think have upside left.  However, we old timers often suffer from sclerotic vision where we have bought so many comics at such cheap prices relative to today, that the new reality looks overpriced up and down the line.  And it's difficult to remember that there still may be room to grow from here due to new collectors who only know this new reality of values.

if enough new collectors see Ms Marvel 1 as cheap at today's prices, who are we to say otherwise? THere could be enough demand to keep prices rising.  But the supply factor will come into play at some point.  Bronze books are not scarce by any means. The census is very sobering and would put a damper on my enthusiasm for these books.