• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I invest in MS Marvel #1 1977 ?
2 2

46 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2017 at 11:48 AM, Christwarrior316 said:

I considered Fantastic Four #52 First Appearance of Black Panther, but do you have $90,000 I can borrow? :D One sold last year in April for that amount and has been the bench mark for a 9.8. The hype train has left the station and isn't turning back any time soon.

Unfortunately, you are dead wrong here.  :gossip:

The FF 52 train has indeed left the station, except that it is heading back in the direction which it started from.  I am quite sure it won't get back to where it started from, but probably still quite a bit from the furthest point it was able to reach  :tonofbricks: 

Edited by lou_fine

19 hours ago, Aman619 said:

There could be enough demand to keep prices rising.  But the supply factor will come into play at some point.  Bronze books are not scarce by any means. The census is very sobering and would put a damper on my enthusiasm for these books.

This x 1,000.   Personally, I avoid buying books post-1975 for this very reason.  There are a handful (maybe 5 or less) of exceptions published after 1975, but that's it.  Stick with books that are not plentiful AND always in demand.  To the OP, buy a FF4 for the same coin you would have spent on a Ms. Marvel 1.  You will thank me later.

On 6/23/2017 at 9:59 PM, zosocane said:

This x 1,000.   Personally, I avoid buying books post-1975 for this very reason.  There are a handful (maybe 5 or less) of exceptions published after 1975, but that's it.  Stick with books that are not plentiful AND always in demand.  To the OP, buy a FF4 for the same coin you would have spent on a Ms. Marvel 1.  You will thank me later.

What are the post-1975 exceptions?

Well, it looks like our dark and negative predictions and opinions for Ms. Marvel 1 as an potential investment going forward has probably scared off the original poster here.  lol

I believe we should be much more careful with our bedside manners when dealing with some of these new board members when they ask for our opinion on books which really have nothing left but a lot of downside, as opposed to a very little short-term upside left in them. 

17 hours ago, 90sChild said:

To be clear, buy what you like -- but if you want to "invest" in post-'75 comics?  Those that are in perpetually high demand:  NM 98, TMNT (1st print) 1,  BA 12, WD 1. 

22 hours ago, 90sChild said:

Spidey 300 definitely. Maybe Wolvie 1 mini. DD 168 is a steady book. Star Wars #1 has been solid, especially if you can get a 35center. NM 98, though it seems to have softened lately. Bone 1 is another book that is good. TMNT 1, though that's a bit pricey now.

Edited by Philflound

13 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like our dark and negative predictions and opinions for Ms. Marvel 1 as an potential investment going forward has probably scared off the original poster here.  lol

I believe we should be much more careful with our bedside manners when dealing with some of these new board members when they ask for our opinion on books which really have nothing left but a lot of downside, as opposed to a very little short-term upside left in them. 

I would rather people get informed rather than misinformed- though I am also not trying to sell a 9.8 copy either.

Edited by 01TheDude

14 hours ago, Philflound said:

Spidey 300 definitely. Maybe Wolvie 1 mini. DD 168 is a steady book. Star Wars #1 has been solid, especially if you can get a 35center. NM 98, though it seems to have softened lately. Bone 1 is another book that is good. TMNT 1, though that's a bit pricey now.

Agree Spidey 300 now that Venom is his own universe thanks to Sony.  

I love the Silver Age forum!

11 hours ago, 01TheDude said:
On 6/26/2017 at 10:27 AM, lou_fine said:

I would rather people get informed rather than misinformed- though I am also not trying to sell a 9.8 copy either.

Actually, I was only kidding and just wondering where he's gone to or if he's taken off for the hills already.  lol

Seriously though, the best "investment" advice I can give with respect to comic books besides buying books that you love, is to buy books where the underlying value is in the actual book itself regardless of the grade, as opposed to buying books where the value is coming primarily from the grade only.  hm

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Actually, I was only kidding and just wondering where he's gone to or if he's taken off for the hills already.  lol

Seriously though, the best "investment" advice I can give with respect to comic books besides buying books that you love, is to buy books where the underlying value is in the actual book itself regardless of the grade, as opposed to buying books where the value is coming primarily from the grade only.  hm

Thats some seriously good advice. :headbang:

On 2017-6-23 at 4:41 PM, SECollector said:

Shouldn't this be in the Bronze Age thread? :preach:

Heh. Also true. Since the Silver Age ended in 1968, I would respectfully suggest trying for an Avengers #52 in 9.8 W. It is still affordable and in keeping with the Black Panther theme (1st app. in Avengers).

On June 27, 2017 at 1:55 PM, lou_fine said:

So true, Lou! Somebody should sticky this in the Welcome Guide as required reading!

5 hours ago, World Devourer said:

Agreed, but if you look at most Ebay sale pages now the focus is on the grade. This is something rookie collectors often fixate on.

That's true. But so often these days what the seller has to say about grade is that they are not "a professional grader" and won't give a grade. No one is. There's no certifying body. It's not medical school. 

I'm for third party grading but it does not abdicate one from the responsibility to learn to approximately grade a raw book themselves, have a discussion about it with other collectors, and, when transacting raw, simply come to an agreement on a close grade range, or simply agree to disagree and walk.  I get that that's tougher on eBay than face to face, but then only sell graded OR offer lots of pix and descriptions and a reasonable return policy based on you (seller) missing something significant. Buyer's remorse in a collectibles marketplace is not a very good reason. 

Of course, many low price items are not worth the work. Without a reasonable person on each side of the deal, I get that at can be difficult. No perfect answer; at least, I don't have it.