• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony plans for SPIDER-MAN UNIVERSE
3 3

164 posts in this topic

If Sony has film rights to all Spider-characters from the comics, even those created in the future, I wonder if the comic division will intentionally sink the Spidey comics the same way they did FF.  The end of this deal has huge implications.  Disney must be scrambling to try and save it.  What a huge mess they got themselves in by being successful.

4 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Sounds dumb.

Not really. It's the point James Cameron attempted to make but did it very poorly concerning cookie-cutter film stories. Someone telling a unique story, when appropriate.

To me, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange were the offshoots that differed from the other MCU films. And they worked for me, too.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Not really. It's the point James Cameron attempted to make but did it very poorly concerning cookie-cutter film stories. Someone telling a unique story, when appropriate.

To me, Ant-Man and Doctor Strange were the offshoots that differed from the other MCU films. And they worked for me, too.

Ant-Man was basically Iron Man, though.

Homecoming and Far From Home differ from most MCU 'origins' and sequels.

Disney and Sony are at an impasse in negotiations to continue sharing the world’s most popular superhero, Spider-Man, on the big screen. Each company, though mostly Sony, has been painted as the villain in a story that doesn’t actually have one. Potential solutions have also been tossed around, but none of this is as simple as it may seem.

The studios are applying completely different value equations to the Spider-Man movie rights. That is why it has been and may continue to be difficult for them to find a place to meet in the middle. It’s not about greed or pride, at least not entirely. It’s about executives wanting, as they should, to get a deal that works for their business.

Disney reportedly sought a 50/50 co-financing arrangement for Spider-Man solo movies, meaning the costs and profits would be shared evenly. The Hollywood Reporter has also heard that Disney was willing to accept as low as a 30% stake in the franchise. Sony is believed to have offered some counter-proposals, which were likely much closer to the previous arrangement in which Disney received 5% of the first-dollar gross on Spidey movies.

Disney has been called greedy for wanting so much more than it previously received for the Spider-Man movies, but that’s an unreasonable assessment. It is not greedy for Disney to want more than 5% of the gross revenue from Spider-Man solo films when its division, Marvel Studios, is doing much more than 5% of the work on the franchise. Plus, Disney is now willing to share in the cost of making the movies instead of Sony paying for everything like before.

Since the first iteration of the sharing deal was announced in February 2015, Disney has been taking a low cut of the Spider-Man solo films in exchange for having access to the character in Marvel Studios’ big team-up movies. Now, Disney has released all of the biggest team-up movies Marvel Studios will presumably have for the next several years. Sure, there will be another Avengers movie in the next three to five years, but it’s not going to be on the scale of Avengers: Infinity War or Avengers: Endgame.

Those casting the blame on Sony in the high-profile split from Disney have gravitated toward the hashtag #SaveSpiderMan. But save him from what?

Oh what a tangled web the film rights to Spider-Man have become. It was the breakup heard around the world. On Tuesday came the news that, in terms of where things stand right now, Spider-Man will no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe going forward. The deal between Disney and Sony announced in February 2015, which saw the hero join the MCU under the guidance of Kevin Feige, has proved lucrative for both companies. Marvel Studios benefited from Spider-Man (Tom Holland) appearing in Captain America: Civil War (2016), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), and Avengers: Endgame, while Sony Pictures had the added benefit of making use of MCU characters and continuity within its Spider-Man solo films, Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), and Spider-Man: Far From Home. The latter, which concluded Phase 3 of the MCU, has grossed $1.1 billion worldwide becoming the first Spider-Man film to hit a billion and Sony’s most successful film.

While both studios should be enjoying a victory lap after a successful summer, with Disney, hot off of their Marvel Studios Comic-Con announcements, set to make D23 this weekend’s event, and Sony releasing an extended cut of Far From Home over labor day weekend. Instead, Spider-Man has become victim of a messy custody battle that has dominated social media and shown just how ugly Disney fandom can get with #SaveSpiderMan and #BoycottSony hashtags trending this week.

Battle lines have been drawn on social media, and by way of willful ignorance on the parts of adults online behaving like children, Sony has been made the bad guy for refusing to give up its asset. While details surrounding Disney and Sony’s split have varied, The Hollywood Reporter reported that the breakup comes down to money. Disney, already possessing the merchandising rights for Spider-Man and benefiting from the use of the character in the MCU, sought at least a 30 percent stake in future Spider-Man grosses. Others have reported figures as high as 50 percent. However you cut it, those numbers are a significant uptick from Disney’s previous five percent stake. It’s also worth noting that while Sony’s Spider-Man films may receive an uptick in box office grosses for their MCU connection, the studio doesn’t receive a share of the grosses for the Marvel Studios films in which Holland’s Spider-Man appears in.

6 hours ago, zosocane said:
7 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Very good point. 

Going even deeper that that, it was the licensing of those rights that allowed Marvel to stay in business.   Marvel was about to go bankrupt and the only thing they had left was to license out their characters for use. 

There is a very good book that came out 15 years ago or so about the Marvel bankruptcy.  You're right, those licensed film rights kept Marvel Comics (the publisher) from folding.  Had Sony and Fox and Universal (theme park rights!) not written big checks to Marvel (the publisher), we could have seen the IP (I'm referring to the non-film IP) migrate to DC or other publishers.  Not very different from what happened to Fawcett.

Comic Wars by Dan Raviv.

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Patiently waiting for @Jaydogrules to weigh in...

As much as I like to see a successful Spider-Man film, I am in the minority who didn't think Far From Home was very good.  The current iteration of the franchise continues to be dogged by multiple horrific mis-castings in multiple key roles and although I can appreciate what they "tried" to do with Mysterio, I just did not like how the battles played out, and especially the final battle.  The best part of the movie was the JJJ post credit scene.  

As for the Sony-Disney ruckus, let's just say that money makes everybody stupid.  Sony, emboldened by the success of FFH and Venom now likely think they can go it alone.

Disney, emboldened by its success everywhere else got greedy and asked for too much.  They essentially want half of Spidey back without paying anything for him.  Meanwhile Sony holds the last major Marvel IP and will likely never sell it back at this point.  Spider-Man is the biggest solo hero in cinemas, even a half-baked Venom movie damn near made a billion dollars.  

Both sides have benefited greatly from the arrangement, Civil War probably did a quarter billy more just because Spidey was in it.  FFH made over a billy as the epilogue to Phase 3.  

Disney has no home runs queued up for Phase 4, and Sony will get no more MCU bumps with Spidey.  Both sides will lose because of this.  

....although I have to say that I am not entirely bummed out about all this if it means a proper Spidey/Venom face off in Venom 3.  :shy:

-J.

SPIDER-MAN: Sony Reportedly Was Willing To Concede 25% Of Franchise, But Disney Wants More

There's been a lot of finger-pointing from both sides since the news broke, but according to a new report from Variety, negotiations initially came up for renewal around six months ago. Some claim Sony did not move to act on a new pact while other insiders refute that and claim it was Disney that was no longer interested in continuing the partnership. 

Even though several numbers have been floated around, it is now strongly believed that Disney was seeking, at least, a 50/50 partnership for the Spider-Man franchise, which Sony was unsurprisingly not on board with. Sony, however, was willing to potentially offer up to 25% of the Spidey film franchise to formally welcome Disney as a co-financing partner in exchange for the services of Marvel Studios head honcho Kevin Feige. Disney declined.

emotion01.gif.0d69ef67116a1f0ab98868176160fbab.gif

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

5F70E24D-BFF8-4CA5-8EE3-6F9222E39FB4.thumb.jpeg.93ef2f39c1bfbef9d5f98b7b8706a145.jpeg8D3AA0B7-BB3C-48C9-BF1D-3B0FDA64DE5E.thumb.jpeg.701729fab6a9a0e3a52695a7e4af79af.jpeg

i guess Spidey will truly have to be his own hero now. 

Saw this yesterday. People were questioning why it took three films to accomplish this, and the timing NOW we were hearing of a Spider-Man 3 film focused on Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Go figure.

Just now, Bosco685 said:

Ultimately, either studio really doesn't needs the other.

Sony can make some great movies without the MCU distractions and Marvels strength has been mining the IP they already own.

3 minutes ago, Mr Sneeze said:

Ultimately, either studio really doesn't needs the other.

Sony can make some great movies without the MCU distractions and Marvels strength has been mining the IP they already own.

Agreed! People acting like this is the end of Spider-Man films need to relax.

The Variety article also pointed out Bob Iger wants Feige heavily focused on the properties Disney has acquired from Fox to help justify the huge purchase. It makes a lot sense. What Disney can control directly right now is massive.

2 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Saw this yesterday. People were questioning why it took three films to accomplish this, and the timing NOW we were hearing of a Spider-Man 3 film focused on Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Go figure.

Before I’d been of the mind that Spider-Man had no place hanging out with gods and billionaires, but it was refreshing seeing Spidey interact with other Marvel heroes on screen. Fans wanted it and Kevin Feige delivered. 

Developing a mentorship with Stark gave young Peter a needed father figure (a presence in the Raimi movies as well, except the father figures were the villains). Also, it filled in a plot hole from the Stan Lee stories. Where does a poor kid from Queens get all that tech? From Stark, of course. And it kept with the Civil War storyline of Stark giving Peter a power boost via Iron Spider.

So yeah, after that, I think the natural story progression is to see Peter become a young man and tackle his own problems. That’s what Spider-Man has always been about and Feige seems to get that. 

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Before I’d been of the mind that Spider-Man had no place hanging out with gods and billionaires, but it was refreshing seeing Spidey interact with other Marvel heroes on screen. Fans wanted it and Kevin Feige delivered. 

Developing a mentorship with Stark gave young Peter a needed father figure (a presence in the Raimi movies as well, except the father figures were the villains). Also, it filled in a plot hole from the Stan Lee stories. Where does a poor kid from Queens get all that tech? From Stark, of course. And it kept with the Civil War storyline of Stark giving Peter a power boost via Iron Spider.

So yeah, after that, I think the natural story progression is to see Peter become a young man and tackle his own problems. That’s what Spider-Man has always been about and Feige seems to get that. 

Peter Parker was not always about being dependent on an adult first before becoming the man he became. He started out on his own, and as he progressed engaged with other teams and individuals throughout the Marvel Universe.

Although I appreciated seeing Peter Parker as part of a much larger Spideyverse, I am totally okay getting back to the roots of the character standing out on his own. And with 900 characters available to Sony (heroes, villains, civilians), there are many self-contained stories to be told that can continue this franchise moving forward.