• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony plans for SPIDER-MAN UNIVERSE
3 3

164 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Peter Parker was not always about being dependent on an adult first before becoming the man he became. He started out on his own, and as he progressed engaged with other teams and individuals throughout the Marvel Universe.

Well, looks like that'll be the opposite now. Poor Peter Parker can't attend the Marvel party any more. Too bad, I was looking forward to future MCU Spider-Man movies being Marvel Team-Up movies of a sort (while also focusing on Peter, too, of course). That team up with Dr Strange or the new Captain America will never happen now. Instead he gets to hang out with Eddie Brock? Kind of sucks.

1 minute ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Well, looks like that'll be the opposite now. Poor Peter Parker can't attend the Marvel party any more. Too bad, I was looking forward to future MCU Spider-Man movies being Marvel Team-Up movies of a sort (while also focusing on Peter, too, of course). That team up with Dr Strange or the new Captain America will never happen now. Instead he gets to hang out with Eddie Brock? Kind of sucks.

It would have been cool to see a Spider-Man/Wolverine or even Spider-Man/X-Men team-up.

Marvel_Team-Up_Annual_Vol_1_1.jpg.ffe77cf8aaebf7a2a55b2b487031219e.jpg

But I am also open-minded enough to realize he has his own vast team of characters that could pop up.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Peter Parker was not always about being dependent on an adult first before becoming the man he became. He started out on his own, and as he progressed engaged with other teams and individuals throughout the Marvel Universe.

Although I appreciated seeing Peter Parker as part of a much larger Spideyverse, I am totally okay getting back to the roots of the character standing out on his own. And with 900 characters available to Sony (heroes, villains, civilians), there are many self-contained stories to be told that can continue this franchise moving forward.

Is there still  a possibility that Marvel and Sony could come to some financial agreement in the coming months, with all this being a negotiation strategy by both sides?

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Although I appreciated seeing Peter Parker as part of a much larger Spideyverse, I am totally okay getting back to the roots of the character standing out on his own. And with 900 characters available to Sony (heroes, villains, civilians), there are many self-contained stories to be told that can continue this franchise moving forward.

One of the biggest factors in success of the MCU is the crossovers.  It's no coincidence all the Avengers films are the top global grossing films of the MCU.  Spiderman on his own is just going to grow stale (it already has with 7 standalones in the past 2 decades).  Same would be true if it were just Iron Man or just Cap.    Another Spider-Man standalone or Spidey + Wolverine or Spidey + F4; tell me what's going to draw more interest?

Also whether you like it or not, films are made for the masses.  If there is no mass appeal there is no big budget movie.  Truth is the masses aren't going to care about diving deep into Parker's roots and such; that's what the print is still for.

2 hours ago, 234wallst said:

One of the biggest factors in success of the MCU is the crossovers.  It's no coincidence all the Avengers films are the top global grossing films of the MCU.  Spiderman on his own is just going to grow stale (it already has with 7 standalones in the past 2 decades).  Same would be true if it were just Iron Man or just Cap.    Another Spider-Man standalone or Spidey + Wolverine or Spidey + F4; tell me what's going to draw more interest?

Also whether you like it or not, films are made for the masses.  If there is no mass appeal there is no big budget movie.  Truth is the masses aren't going to care about diving deep into Parker's roots and such; that's what the print is still for.

'One of the biggest factors...'?? No it isn't. DC Comics, Charlton, Image, Valiant all have characters that cross over with other characters. That's not THE selling point. But it sure is cool when it happens with characters we can appreciate.

Spider-man grow stale? Are you kidding? Even in 2014 Spider-Man was the biggest superhero merchandising topic compared to Marvel and DC characters.

Marvel_vs_DC_Licensing_Chart.jpg.5766457941adb170bdeac4dfda2489bc.jpg

Spider-Man is not going to grow stale any time soon. He is one of the most relatable superhero characters throughout comic books. And has a massively deep rogues gallery and in-universe hero pool to pull from. You may or may not appreciate such facts. But that's the reality. Take it or leave it.

6 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Saw this yesterday. People were questioning why it took three films to accomplish this, and the timing NOW we were hearing of a Spider-Man 3 film focused on Peter Parker/Spider-Man. Go figure.

Don’t think I am being a marvel apologist for saying it but it made sense as to what they did and how they did it from a narrative perspective. 

Go back four years ago when the deal was announced and remember how many people rolled their eyes at another Spider-Man film introducing a new actor as Peter Parker and having to sit through yet another movie of how Uncle Ben died and how Peter learns that with great power comes great responsibility. 

We all yawned at the thought of seeing that again especially since the Garfield movies were so recently released. 

Marvel pulled the right move with this... when we meet Tom Holland he has already been Spider-Man for a bit and Stark has been keeping tabs on him. In fact I walked away thinking that Tony is / was keeping tabs on many others as well in case he needs them.  Through dialogue, the already well known origin story is alluded to when Peter explains to Tony why he does what he does. 

Now why does Spider-man NEED Tony in his movie? Simple... Sony demanded it.  If we let Spider-Man play with the marvel guys again then Sony wanted the top box office draw of the time to be in their movie... they wanted RDJ as Tony Stark. The movie then adopts the theme of the hero who loses everything and then needs to prove he is worthy.

As far as an alien invasion... I think everyone would have been befuddled if Peter didn’t participate especially since the attack was obviously going to be New York based.  I mean three infinity stones were present in NY, how could they explain the absence of Peter Parker involved in an attack on New York?

i get what they did because they knew they needed to depart from the same old same old.  I’ve actually said I liked Man of Steel because there needed to be a slightly different tone. They basically did the same thing... We didn’t need to see the origin story unfold because we’ve already seen it enough times. 

3 hours ago, 234wallst said:

28 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

'One of the biggest factors...'?? No it isn't. DC Comics, Charlton, Image, Valiant all have characters that cross over with other characters. That's not THE selling point. But it sure is cool when it happens with characters we can appreciate.

Spider-man grow stale? Are you kidding? Even in 2014 Spider-Man was the biggest superhero merchandising topic compared to Marvel and DC characters.

Marvel_vs_DC_Licensing_Chart.jpg.5766457941adb170bdeac4dfda2489bc.jpg

Spider-Man is not going to grow stale any time soon.

234wallst is talking about the movies, not the comics or the merchandise. The comics are a different thing. Yeah, Spider-Man backpacks will always be a top seller, but Spider-Man movies have proven they can go wrong with the public. Spider-Man 3 made a lot of money but everyone hated it. Amazing Spider-Man had promise, but Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a clusterflerken and a relative failure prompting the firing of the ASM creative crew, cancellation of the Spider-Man EU then, and the old Sony-Disney deal.

Spider-Man will probably always be Marvel's #1 character, but the movies can definitely go stale, as history has proven.

31 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Don’t think I am being a marvel apologist for saying it but it made sense as to what they did and how they did it from a narrative perspective. 

Go back four years ago when the deal was announced and remember how many people rolled their eyes at another Spider-Man film introducing a new actor as Peter Parker and having to sit through yet another movie of how Uncle Ben died and how Peter learns that with great power comes great responsibility. 

We all yawned at the thought of seeing that again especially since the Garfield movies were so recently released. 

Marvel pulled the right move with this... when we meet Tom Holland he has already been Spider-Man for a bit and Stark has been keeping tabs on him. In fact I walked away thinking that Tony is / was keeping tabs on many others as well in case he needs them.  Through dialogue, the already well known origin story is alluded to when Peter explains to Tony why he does what he does. 

Now why does Spider-man NEED Tony in his movie? Simple... Sony demanded it.  If we let Spider-Man play with the marvel guys again then Sony wanted the top box office draw of the time to be in their movie... they wanted RDJ as Tony Stark. The movie then adopts the theme of the hero who loses everything and then needs to prove he is worthy.

As far as an alien invasion... I think everyone would have been befuddled if Peter didn’t participate especially since the attack was obviously going to be New York based.  I mean three infinity stones were present in NY, how could they explain the absence of Peter Parker involved in an attack on New York?

i get what they did because they knew they needed to depart from the same old same old.  I’ve actually said I liked Man of Steel because there needed to be a slightly different tone. They basically did the same thing... We didn’t need to see the origin story unfold because we’ve already seen it enough times. 

I agree deviating from the traditional Spidey origin story was a smart move. At this point worldwide anyone watching the TV shows (live, animated) or movies have this clear in their mind. Though, the death of Uncle Ben is what makes Peter that much more determined to be a hero than a side contributor in protecting people. So without Uncle Ben in the MCU but more Uncle Tony, some of the motivation seemed lacking at certain points.

In many cases he felt like a sidekick than a major player. Even though in Civil War he kicked some serious butt and handled The Winter Soldier like he was a baby. Which was super-cool to see. But he was washed out in scenes because of the forced mass-group, in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

234wallst is talking about the movies, not the comics or the merchandise. The comics are a different thing. Yeah, Spider-Man backpacks will always be a top seller, but Spider-Man movies have proven they can go wrong with the public. Spider-Man 3 made a lot of money but everyone hated it. Amazing Spider-Man had promise, but Amazing Spider-Man 2 was a clusterflerken and a relative failure prompting the firing of the ASM creative crew, cancellation of the Spider-Man EU then, and the old Sony-Disney deal.

Spider-Man will probably always be Marvel's #1 character, but the movies can definitely go stale, as history has proven.

I get it in many chats when you speak, it is with very thick MCU glasses on. Stating 'everyone hated it' with Spider-Man 3 (the weakest of the trilogy), I think such hyperbole detracts from what could be valid points.

Spidey03.PNG.aed57b04dcff85fdfbcb2823d2d6e723.PNG

Someone spent $126M in Domestic Home Theater purchases with this film. Interpretation: Wanting to see this film more than once. So unless all these people wanting to beat themselves with this film, that's a massive amount for a film in 2007.

And even with Amazing Spider-Man 2 doing horrible numbers, the film made Sony $70M after all expenses. And yet it was one of those I would never watch again. But someone did, though at a much more drastic reduction in Domestic Home Theater sales. Though we all can agree Sony mishandled that second outing so poorly, of course it led to them giving in to working with the MCU.

ASM2.PNG.6f2f5f44c670436e922f1ed954746875.PNG

But hey, tell me more about reality through those glasses. :baiting:

6 minutes ago, Heronext said:

I think this might be a questionable site?  If it's true - WOW

https://cosmicbook.news/spider-man-deal-7-movies-avengers

Cosmic Book News usually seems to repeat more mature sites. So if it is posting such information, it is most probably coming from stronger leads from other sites. Very interesting!

11 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Cosmic Book News usually seems to repeat more mature sites. So if it is posting such information, it is most probably coming from stronger leads from other sites. Very interesting!

Yes, Lords of the Longbox.  SM & AF - so awesome!

0AC8DBEC-89EB-48A8-B6FA-836FC3944FB2.jpeg

Edited by Heronext

22 minutes ago, Heronext said:

I think this might be a questionable site?  If it's true - WOW

https://cosmicbook.news/spider-man-deal-7-movies-avengers

If true, well that'd be a dream come true. The Firestar/Iceman "Amazing Friends" thing seems a little suspect, though.

46018113_spideyironman.thumb.PNG.2118e75f047ed4967bc2cf87ab87c752.PNG

https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/08/23/rumor-marvel-and-disney-offer-new-deal-to-sony-to-keep-spider-man-in-mcu/

I know I'm supposed to post really big pictures and text... :insane:

Jon Favreau ‘Holding Out Hope’ for Spider-Man to Remain in the MCU

Spider-Man’s potential exit from the Marvel Cinematic Universe could throw a wrench in Happy and Aunt May’s relationship, but Jon Favreau is “optimistic” the love affair will continue amid Sony’s dispute with Disney.

“You never know what’s going to happen. I’m holding out hope and being optimistic that this isn’t the final chapter of the story between those characters,” Favreau told Variety‘s Angelique Jackson at Disney’s biennial D23 Expo in Anaheim, Calif. 

Sony, which holds the licensing rights to Spider-Man, announced Wednesday that it would no longer partner with Disney and Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige on the superhero movies. The studio released the wildly successful “Spider-Man: Homecoming” and this year’s “Spider-Man: Far From Home” under the partnership, and lent the character to Marvel’s “Captain America: Civil War,” “Avengers: Infinity War” and “Avengers: Endgame.” Unless Sony and Disney can reconcile, however, Spider-Man will no longer be in the MCU.

Despite the recent break-up, brief footage of Spider-Man slinging webs made it into the sizzle reel for the opening of the D23 Legends panel, which honored Favreau.

Favreau’s character Happy was featured prominently in “Spider-Man: Far From Home,” and struck up a romantic relationship with Marisa Tomei’s Aunt May. “Aunt May and Happy were quite a couple,” Favreau reminisced at D23. “As an actor, I had so much fun working with Marisa [Tomei] and Tom Holland.”