• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sony plans for SPIDER-MAN UNIVERSE
3 3

164 posts in this topic

Sony plans for SPIDER-MAN UNIVERSE

Tom Rothman on 'Spider-Man' Plans and Loving 'Ghostbusters' Trolls: "Can We Please Get Some More Haters to Say Stupid Things?"

_arg8190-thr_h_2016_0.jpg

Since you teamed with Marvel, do you plan to make a whole Spider-Man universe? Do you have plans for more work with Marvel?

Yes to both those questions. It’s been fantastic, our relationship with Marvel.

Who has greenlight authority?

Sony has the ultimate authority. But we have deferred the creative lead to Marvel, because they know what they’re doing. We start shooting the new Spider-Man in Atlanta [in mid-June].

Do you want to trim the costs of that franchise?

I don’t want to trim costs. I want to make money. And sometimes you make money by trimming costs and sometimes by investing in things that are profitable. A movie like Spider-Man by Marvel, that’s not inexpensive. But it’s a great investment. Knowing that Marvel has such a clear, creative vision, I sleep very well at night.

Kraven The Hunter And Mysterio To Get Their Own Spider-Man Spinoffs

spider-man-homecoming-spinoff-kraven-the

A Hollywood Reporter profile about new Sony chief Tom Rothman indicates that the studio is planning projects based on both Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio, classic Spider-Man villains who have yet to appear on the big screen.

This is in place of the previous plan which would give the Sinister Six their own spinoff movie — that has since been scrapped as they hope to launch a bigger universe gradually instead of outright in one film.

I've always been a fan of the transitive property:

If Spider-Man is in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and this exact same Spider-Man will be in the same universe as Venom, Carnage, Black Cat, Silver Sable, Mysterio, Kraven, etc...  tell me again how you can argue that those characters are NOT in the Marvel Cinematic Universe?

It's fine the was the movies ignore the TV side of things (even though the TV shows acknowledge the movies) but this simply won't work.  I almost feel like this slate of movies is Sony's way to force Disney/Marvel's hand to finally ante up a giant offer to buy everything back.. or at least buy back the right to creative control over it all. 

There's no way Disney has time right now to squeeze in a Venom movie, but if they had final say so on it, they could farm it out to their partner Sony and allow enough MCU touches to make it a hit.

But closing your eyes, holding your breath and saying 'no, no, they're separate... trust us" simple isn't going to fly.

The Rumors About VENOM And Other SPIDER-MAN Characters Joining The MCU Keep Going Around In Circles

spider-man_kevein_feige_amy_pascal.jpg

It certainly looks as if Sony and Marvel Studios don't appear to be on the same page regarding what Sony's planning with their Spider-Man and Silver Sable/Black Cat spinoff movies. Speaking to JoBlo, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige reaffirmed earlier statements that only Tom Holland's Spider-Man will be joining the MCU.

"Right now, Spidey is in the MCU and it's just Spidey. Civil War, Homecoming, we've already shot a lot of Tom Holland's scenes in the upcoming Avengers films, and we're just starting to solidify our plans for Homecoming 2 - we won't call it that, whatever it is - which is exciting because it'll be the first MCU movie after untitled Avengers in 2019. It'll be the way Civil War informed everything in Homecoming, those movies will launch him off into a very new cinematic universe at that point. Those five movies are we're focusing on. "

In short, Marvel's relationship with Sony only pertains to those five films- Captain America: Civil War, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers 4 and the Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel.

Oh boy!

Sony Responds To Kraven The Hunter Movie Rumors

kraven-the-hunter-movie-1011035.png

Recently, reports also suggested Sony was wanting to develop spin-offs for Kraven the Hunter and Mysterio. And, if a recent interview with Sanford Panitch has anything to say, then the latter rumor might just be true.

Variety sat down with the Columbia Pictures president, and the site questioned Panitch about the Kraven reports. As expected, the executive played coy when asked, but he did have this to say:

" He’s an awesome character. Let’s just leave it at that.”

Earlier this year, reports surfaced that Kraven and Mysterio were being shopped around for spin-offs after The Hollywood Reporter wrote a profile about Sony’s new chief Tom Rothman. The piece indicated the studio is looking to make Kraven the Hunter a household name. The report was never confirmed by Sony, Columbia, or any other involved parties - but Panitch’s roundabout comment does give fans hope that Kraven is on the studios’ minds.

Arad, meanwhile, started his own company, Arad Prductions, and continued to develop Marvel-based projects, most recent among them for Sony with the 2018 hits Venom and Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse. He speaks philosophically about his Marvel Studios days now.

“The time came when, for me, it was time to move on,” Arad says now. “There are a lot of theories behind it, but it really doesn’t matter. I tried correcting some of them and it always looked like an aggressive posture by someone who is begrudging.”

Raimi was one of those still-ramping talents in Hollywood back then who knew the power of Marvel Comics mythology. Raimi told me that day back in 2001 that his mother had painted a Spidey mural above his childhood bed as a birthday gift, so he literally fell asleep at night thinking of the wall-crawling hero. That, more than anything, is why Raimi was the perfect choice to bring Marvel to the big-screen in a powerful way.

(And if Raimi happens to be reading Deadline today, a message from Arad:  “I would love to see what kind of animated Spider-Man movie we’d get from Sam Raimi so if he sees this, ‘Call me Sam!'”)

Long but very interesting article about the history of Marvel Studios, including the early contributions by Arad which started the train for Hollywood to notice these movies.

INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE Writers Return to Create Spin-Off TV Shows

Writer/directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller have signed a five-year overall deal with Sony Pictures Television (SPE) to develop live-action and animated shows including "a suite of TV series" based on Sony's Spider-verse movies. First reported by Deadline, the reported $100m+ deal would also include non-Spider-Verse shows as well - including original projects by Lord and Miller.

"We are so grateful to everyone at Sony Pictures Television for choosing to partner with us and expand our enduring relationship with the studio" said Lord and Miller in a joint statement. "Together we aim to make groundbreaking work of the highest quality and integrity, and to place that work in convenient proximity to your eyeballs and earholes, wherever you may be."

Lord and Miller come to Sony TV after nine years at 20th Century Fox Television. The Hollywood trade reports that the duo didn't want to continue there due to Fox's connections to Disney - whose subsidiary, Lucasfilm, dismissed them from Solo: A Star Wars Story.

"This is a significant milestone for our television business, having the opportunity to work with two of the most creative forces in the industry in both our film and television businesses,” said Mike Hopkins, SPE Chairman. "Building on our strong IP and creating new franchises has been a key focus for SPE, and the best way to do that is to invest in remarkable storytellers like Phil and Chris. We are thrilled to welcome them to the SPT family, and I want to thank Jeff, Chris and Jason for all their hard work in pulling this deal together."

After all that money Sony lost on Into The Spider-Verse? :whatthe:

Sorry. Hard to not get in on the the running gag. :insane:

Here's the Deadline article that broke the news.

Oscar-winning writers/directors/producers Phil Lord and Chris Miller have signed a massive five-year overall deal with Sony Pictures Television.

None is commenting but the value of the pact but it is believed to be in the nine figures. Under the agreement, the duo will develop live-action comedy and drama series as well as animated shows through their Lord Miller Productions company, including a suite of TV series based on Sony’s Universe of Marvel Characters,  referred to Spider-verse, which had been a priority for SPT.

The latter is said to have been a major selling point that helped bring Lord and Miller to Sony TV in a very competitive situation with multiple independent studios and a streaming platform pursuing them. The pair is coming off winning an Oscar for Sony’s Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse. The Sony TV deal allows the pair to develop their own projects for network, cable and streaming platforms, as well as develop and supervise other writers’ projects.

Aubrey Lee will continue in her role at Lord Miller as VP of TV Development and Production. Select TV projects related to Sony’s Universe of Marvel Characters will be produced in partnership with Amy Pascal.

Lord and Miller are moving to Sony Pictures TV after nine years at 20th Century Fox TV. Under their 20th TV pacts, Lord and Miller executive produced several series, including The Last Man On Earth, Making History and Son of Zorn.They remain in business with the studio — now part of Disney — as executive producers on two upcoming animated series, Bless the Harts for Fox and Hoops for Netflix.

Sony’s Universe of Marvel Characters will continue to stand separate from the Disney-owned Marvel Cinematic Universe, says Spider-Man: Far From Home producer Amy Pascal.

“The most important thing is that each of these movies can stand on their own,” Pascal told Screen Rant when asked if Sony-produced spinoffs Morbius and Kraven the Hunter will exist in separate continuities or exhibit ties to Tom Holland’s Peter Parker.

“So I think the first thing for us to think about is: Venom has to stand on its own, Far From Homehas to stand on its own, [Spider-Man: Into the] Spider-Verse has to stand on its own. They all have to be great movies themselves. And then the possibilities are endless.”

Pascal is not involved with the Jared Leto-led Morbius, but said that project looks “really great.” Kraven, starring one of Spidey’s most recurring comic book foes, is being developed by The Equalizer scribe Richard Wenk and will borrow inspiration from famed comic book storyline Kraven’s Last Hunt.

Also in development is the long-gestating Silver & Black, a planned spinoff teaming Silver Sable and the Black Cat, two of Spider-Man’s sometime allies, sometime foes.

“Well, that’s the thing about the Spidey universe. There are so many characters; we haven’t even scratched the surface of it,” Pascal said. “I’m always getting calls from [former Amazing Spider-Man writer] Dan Slott saying, ‘But you haven’t done this one yet! You haven’t done that one yet!’”

4 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Wait...did I miss the confirmation of a kraven movie? This is news to me...

It's been talked about for months. But then it died down before Venom's release. Its success probably brought it back to the top of the list.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It's been talked about for months. But then it died down before Venom's release. Its success probably brought it back to the top of the list.

Thanks. I saw internet rumblings, but didn’t know it was a for sure thing actually in development.

14 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

I think I may have known this...I’m going to blame the booze for killing those brain cells responsible for retaining this information.

With all the comic book productions happening parallel between TV and theater, it gets pretty easy nowadays to have something slip into the back of the memory.

:foryou:

What a great time to be a comic book fan.

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse executive producer Chris Miller can’t talk yet about the upcoming suite of TV series based on the Marvel characters that Sony controls, but he’s got a plan of how it is all going to work.

“We are developing a handful of live-action shows using Sony’s Marvel characters, of which there are like 900 characters,” theBless the Harts EP told Deadline on Wednesday at TCA about the top secret project(s). “We’re figuring out a way to develop the shows so that each are their own unique experience but are also related.”

While Miller wouldn’t confirm the stories were going to be drawn from the Spider-Man canon, he made it clear that element of the big overall deal with Sony Pictures TV he and Phil Lord have is a hot ticket in town.

Edited by Bosco685