• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the differences between collecting and hoarding? - seeking research participants
2 2

35 posts in this topic

What are the differences between collecting and hoarding? - seeking research participants

Hi everyone!

My name is Amy and I'm doing an Honours degree in Psychology at RMIT University, Australia.

I'm conducting an online study on the differences between collecting and hoarding behaviours, and so I'm hoping to involve some more collectors that are interested in contributing to this research area.

It's an online survey and anyone can participate as long as you are over 18 years of age. It's completely anonymous and takes about 20-30 minutes to complete.

If you would like to find out more information or participate in the research, the link is on the poster (sorry it wouldn't let me post it here!).

Thanks! :) 

594b64abb2d41_HonoursResearchAdvertisement2.thumb.png.550c0dfd1d161e41f461d744cad10031.png

I knew the answer to this years ago. It's all STUFF! Enjoy it for what it is and remember the most important thing, it is not worth what you paid for it in the beginning. If you follow this  line of thinking then it is priceless. 

Seems like a pretty easy distinction:

1. Collectors gather and curate a "collection", which has a specific purpose. ("I'm collecting Spider-Man 1-300", etc.)

2. Hoarders just accumulate indiscriminately.

4 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Seems like a pretty easy distinction:

1. Collectors gather and curate a "collection", which has a specific purpose. ("I'm collecting Spider-Man 1-300", etc.)

2. Hoarders just accumulate indiscriminately.

Then I'm currently curating a collection of everything published since 1913.

I found it a little difficult to answer some questions.

I have no "practical use" for an additional copy of a favorite comic book, since I don't need it for reading or to fill a gap in a collection, but I do see it as having potential future value (hopefully beyond what I just paid), so while it may not be a guaranteed return on investment, it seems to have at least as much "practical use" as a share of stock in some company which could go bankrupt tomorrow.

I never liked the term collector, I just search for things that I like and catch my eye and just am drawn to for some reason and have them because I enjoy them, they make me feel good, give me a sense of wonder, inspire me etc. To me collector and hoarder are almost the same thing, most collectors need entire runs of a comic or everything with Garfield on it or whatever. Collectors to me are hoarders with just a more defined focus on specific things they hoard, while a hoarder just hoards anything and everything.

In turn, even if you only have say an IH 181 and that is the only thing that makes you a collector of any sort, but you hold on to it even when it's time to sell for any reason, your a "hoarder" of that IH 181..... that makes sense. A hoarder would or could be a unwillful compulsion, while collector is willful .... ??? .... something or other

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

11 minutes ago, catman76 said:

I never liked the term collector, I just search for things that I like and catch my eye and just am drawn to for some reason and have them because I enjoy them, they make me feel good, give me a sense of wonder, inspire me etc. To me collector and hoarder are almost the same thing, most collectors need entire runs of a comic or everything with Garfield on it or whatever. Collectors to me are hoarders with just a more defined focus on specific things they hoard, while a hoarder just hoards anything and everything.

Agree with this but also have to add that a collector usually puts some effort or pride into the storage/display/presentation of their items. Just check out some of the awesome comic rooms that boardies have built. Even if your collection is just neatly archived in boxes in a closet, it's organized. Hoarders appear to have an issue with organization and like artboy99 said, parting with their mess.

-bc

hoard·er
ˈhôrdər/
noun

1. a person who hoards things.
    "I'm a bit of a hoarder"

this is according to google definition, I see why there is a survey to expand the defintion

col·lec·tor
    kəˈlektər/
    noun

1. 1.
      a person who collects things of a specified type, professionally or as a hobby.
      "an art collector"
    2. 2.
      an official who is responsible for collecting money.
      "a tax collector"

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
hoard·er
ˈhôrdər/
noun

1. a person who hoards things.
    "I'm a bit of a hoarder"

this is according to google definition, I see why there is a survey to expand the defintion

col·lec·tor
    kəˈlektər/
    noun

1. 1.
      a person who collects things of a specified type, professionally or as a hobby.
      "an art collector"
    2. 2.
      an official who is responsible for collecting money.
      "a tax collector"

Search Results

hoard
hôrd/
noun

1. 1.
    a stock or store of money or valued objects, typically one that is secret or carefully guarded.
    "he came back to rescue his little hoard of gold"
    synonyms:

cache, stockpile, stock, store, collection, supply, reserve, reservoir, fund, accumulation; More

verb1.

amass (money or valued objects) and hide or store away.
"thousands of antiques hoarded by a compulsive collector"
synonyms: stockpile, store, store up, stock up on, put aside, put by, lay by, lay up, set aside, stow