• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to get signed by Steranko?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

Steranko is coming to a show in Edmonton this Fall!  :banana::headbang::headbang:(worship) (As you can tell, I'm pretty excited)

Anyway, it got me thinking about what everyone's favourite Steranko Cover is?  Please post pics!

Additionally, what would you consider having him sign?  I don't believe CGC witnesses will be present.  Would you have him sign the splash page or pick a low grade copy?

Hmmm.... wonder if he still does commissions?

:popcorn:

Edited by piper

The few times I've had the pleasure, I was awestruck by his stories about the industry. Plan to get in line early because the line doesn't move quickly as a result (no one wants to leave.)

I heard him quote someone $500 for a commissioned sketch, but just a head shot! He does have a few pieces of original sketches with him at times - a quick Nick Fury face was $150 last time, and he had several, but the guy a few people in front of me bought them all. They were minimal, but very cool and very Steranko. He had some Fury from the waist up as well, but those were in the neighborhood of a thousand. A search on the Bay might give you an idea.

I had him sign my History of Comics the first time I met him, and later a Nick Fury #6, the homage to Wally Wood (I got the story on that one). He was a guest at the Windy City Pulp Show last April and I had him sign a 70's Marvel Doc Savage cover and that awesome Western Gunfighters (14 I think it is). I chose those books because they're more under the radar. He does charge $15 a signature now, but I'm wondering why I didn't have him sign more, like those FF covers and the Supernatural Thrillers.

35362995.01f33d46.800.jpg

Edited by PopKulture

HAJFzhsl.jpg

If it were me, I would go with this book I've had forever and only realized was a Steranko cover a few years ago from reading a thread here.

Or one of my History of Comics volumes- he just has so many great covers to use. On second thought, I would probably pick a favorite from Strange Tales most likely 167.

@01TheDude great suggestions! I love my History of Comics set. I've looked at upgrading my Volume 1 as it has a complete cover split.

When I looked on-line, I noticed that some sets have titles on the front cover. My copies do not. I wonder what the difference is? (e.g. 2nd print). What should I be paying? Prices are all over the place....

I've always wanted a ST 167, so this seems like as good as reason as any to pick up a copy!

Edited by piper

My two Sterankos right before I SS'd them.

He is one of the best guests to get a signing for - he will talk at length and depth with each fan, he's the best.

The NF #7 is an homage to Dali, and there's a great panel in Cap 111 (Bucky's hallucinations) that are also Dali-esque.

He will tell you all about them if you ask. He'll also give great advice, personal anecdotes, professional insight and inspiring motivations to anyone who spends time talking with him. He's great.

Steranko_Signatures.jpg

Edited by jcjames

JC and Comic beat me to it. I think CA #111 & 113 are where it's at. Awesome.

It is also encouraging to hear that one of the greats from that era is so accommodating. They are after all our only window into an era that shaped so many impressionable young minds.

I'd go with his new OSPG Batman cover due out this month, but I'm not a sigs-on-books guy. Get what makes you happy, but if you are getting more than one item signed, that Bats cover looks cool, and it's something different for him. (I don't think there's any Steranko Bat continuity work???) (shrug)

Still a big fan of this one.  I know it is probably one of the more common ones people get signed, but it's so 1960's, modern, psychedelic.  Just a great cover.   I had him sign a large print of this, not the actual comic.  Framed up, looks great. 

fury shield1.jpg