• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to get signed by Steranko?
2 2

27 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

Recommend 1973 FOOM poster, as it already has a facsimile signature by Stan Lee. Nice display piece from center of FOOM #1 mag:

b526Lan.jpg

Very cool!

So far it looks like there will be a decent slate of guests - better than last year at least (although it did turn out that we unfortunately had one of Carrie Fisher's last show appearances :sorry:).

Not sure what to expect from the Gene Simmons appearance, but there should be fans out in droves. Time to pull out those KISS comics. lol

20 hours ago, kimik said:

Very cool!

When was the last time Steranko did a signing in Edmonton or Calgary? I remember Steranko was at a 2 or 3 day Edmonton con about 30 years ago when I was selling comics up there.

Recommend collectors get their hardcover Overstreet #40 (2000) signed as most already have it in stock:

KfQQ5Y4.jpg

I think that was the big 1988 show at the Shaw Convention Centre? If yes, that was a great show for guests. There would have been Stan Lee, Steranko, Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane if I recall correctly. Every table had stacks of ASM #300s at $5 apiece. I was just 12 at the time, but that was the first "big show" I had ever been to and it was great!

On 2017-07-16 at 7:39 AM, kimik said:

I think that was the big 1988 show at the Shaw Convention Centre? There would have been Stan Lee, Steranko, Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane if I recall correctly. that was the first "big show" I had ever been to and it was great!

I was selling in Edmonton (Edm) in 1987, 88, 89 from what I recall since I am as aged as Human Torch Dave. I had pancake breakfast with Stan Lee, Romita Sr and Jr one morning. Is Edmonton Convention Ctr same as Shaw Ctr?

Musuyct.jpg

For the 1988 2 day Edm Comic Fair, tables were $75 each for the weekend so Hastings Comics and I had 2 tables plus brought our own wall racks on wood stilts. There was a lot of discount wars and competition in downtown Edm with Comic Castle, Wee Book Inn/Comic Annex, Metropolis Comics. Calgary had Phoenix Comics (Falconer and Marty).  Vendors at that time included Island Fantasy (now eegabeeva from Victoria, BC), Ken Witchner (Airship Comics (N. Vancouver) did 2 seminars, Uncle Bob's Comics (still selling at Edm and Calgary expos), Warp 1 Games, Comex Distributors, Comic Castle, Crystal Talisman (Tracy Heft in BC at that time), Comic City, Comics Defense Fund (L. Wong of Heritage Hall con, Vancouver), etc.

Did not see Wall to Wall Comics and Books, Calgary on the vendor's list.

Also, the Edmonton Comic Fair had a Charity Auction with over 45 pages of donated published original comic art, or drawings. An :idea:incredible 95 table Edm con back in 1988 when downtown Vancouver (Robson Square media ctr) maxed out at about 110 tables for a one day con.