• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Comic Racks
6 6

227 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I think you could only date it as being within a year of the comics pictured.

Thanks - what I thought but just curious if they recycled the ad in subsequent years and kept the images.  Great pics and info - thanks again for sharing and posting.  

On 8/7/2017 at 10:10 PM, damonwad said:

Besides the ones you posted and I posted in the other thread, I think I've only seen 3 other styles of wire rack for sale or in a collection. One spinner rack, one 15 pocket wall rack and one 18 (?) pocket rack that leaned against a wall.

New classics illustrated rack topper I just picked up.  There's another on eBay for $100.  Have you seen it before?

s-l1600.jpg

On 12/12/2017 at 5:55 PM, nnaid said:

I love this discussion of comic racks. I have four old comics racks- two "Hey Kids" spinner racks (a 4-sided and 5-sided), and a "Hey Kids" flat rack, but my favorite is a Marvel Comics rack that I recently found. I thought the people following this post might like to see it.

Not a GA rack, but since you posted the Marvel racks I thought I'd put up these two new Marvel rack toppers I've seen.  The first I just picked up and goes on a wire rack with three slots across:

s-l1600.jpg

The second is a mystery to me.  It's slightly bigger than the topper nnaid posted above (the lower topper in the picture below).  Nnaid's topper fits on a wire rack with two rows across.  This new one is slightly wider and a slightly different design:

s-l1600.jpg

Also, a while back, Hake's sold a rack topper with the same graphic as my new piece:

Image result for Marvel comics rack topper

Edited by sfcityduck

On 6/29/2017 at 11:04 AM, Robot Man said:

Here is annother unusual rack. Not for comic books but for Little Golden Books. 1950's era hanging wall rack. Thought it was real unusual when I spotted it at the Alameda Antique Flea Market one Sunday morning.

goldenbookrack_zpspasnbruy.jpg

Thought you might enjoy seeing this:

s-l1600.jpg

On 8/8/2017 at 12:27 PM, Mutant Manatee said:

I have a similar Dell paperback rack that I found in an antique shop in Seymour, Illinois about ten years ago. 

bookshelf-4.jpg

MM,

Thought you might like to see this beat up old Dell rack I picked up a year ago.  I think I'm going to gently restore this one:

20170921_202256.thumb.jpg.17cb50df021c3373e7c1cdb78b374f52.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

Also not a GA rack, but this thing is unique enough that it deserves being saved for posterity - a classic easy to find red/white/blue "Hey Kids" rack, BUT this one has one of its four sides devoted to Spire Christian Comics (and that's clearly original):

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, sfcityduck said:

For the advanced collector on eBay today is a 1939 DC rack (I'm not the seller):

s-l1600.jpg

I just went and looked at it.  10,000 for an opening bid. You aren't kidding that is for the "advanced collector."  It is super cool though.

Edited by ender

20 minutes ago, ender said:

Anyone want to guess what it would take to really purchase it?  I have admired some of these but never bought any.  Would this be one of the higher priced ones?

The earliest and most expensive rack that I know of.  And also the coolest IMHO.  The Action 1 of racks.

Edited by sfcityduck

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:20 PM, telerites said:
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:15 PM, sfcityduck said:

image.jpg

Wow, that is great.  Lots of incredible books from many publishers.  Do you know the year of the flyer?

On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:41 AM, sfcityduck said:

I think you could only date it as being within a year of the comics pictured.

Action 11 was out April 1939. New Adventure 21 was out November 1937 and More-Fun was out Jan 1938 so the comics do have different years that would not be out at same (shrug)

Action-11.jpg

More-Fun-28.jpg

new adventure 21.jpg

22 hours ago, ender said:

Anyone want to guess what it would take to really purchase it?  I have admired some of these but never bought any.  Would this be one of the higher priced ones?

Considering the rack is complete ( most of these are missing all the signs on each pocket ) the price of $10,000 may not be out to lunch.