• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Comic Racks
6 6

227 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Strong result on ebay for this table top rack:

The link doesn't give any information.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

The link doesn't give any information.

Tabletop Classics rack sold for $345.

Early 50s DC spinner was a steal at $400.

Late 60s DC three-wide rack topper was another steal at $175 (kicking myself for missing that).

Edited by sfcityduck

26 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Tabletop Classics rack sold for $345.

Early 50s DC spinner was a steal at $400.

Late 60s DC three-wide rack topper was another steal at $175 (kicking myself for missing that).

Thanks for the update. That all does seem cheap. 

On 11/16/2019 at 1:39 PM, sfcityduck said:

Don't know what to make of this one.  Foreign?  Remaindered comics?  But, I'm guessing its unique.  You can find it on eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

hi:  I have this rack but it doesn't have anything that indicates where it was made. Did you ever find out any information on where made?   Thanks

6centrack.jpeg

6centrack2.jpeg

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Not Golden Age, but a cool more modern CCA rack is worth noting anyway.  The actual wire and tube rack structure dates back to the mid-1960s, but the signage looks a little more modern than that to me:

s-l1600.jpg 

Very cool rack that I have never seen!

On 10/11/2020 at 5:54 AM, buddy2 said:

hi:  I have this rack but it doesn't have anything that indicates where it was made. Did you ever find out any information on where made?   Thanks

6centrack.jpeg

6centrack2.jpeg

Dover

Obie

Conquest

It was made our a group of comics that came out in 1953 

2 hours ago, Montezuma said:

Dover

Obie

Conquest

It was made our a group of comics that came out in 1953 

That is GREAT information!  That rack is a publisher specific - Store Publishing - rack from 1953.  Never heard of the publisher, the comics, or the concept that there were six cent comics.  This is why I love these boards!

They also had 7 cent versions in 1955. The 1955 ones are all ACG reprints from Ha Ha and Giggle comics but ACG is mentioned nowhere, just Modern Store Publications. The 6 cent 1953 ones are all Eastern Color/Famous Funnies reprints and the publisher is listed as Food Store Publications. They probably were sold in grocery stores I am guessing

lf.thumb.jpg.5cb9ba252d096592e1470cda7356cb9d.jpg

330602472_lf(1).jpg.a25e9b98b96048a20d3011a6c33eb0f2.jpg

17 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

That is GREAT information!  That rack is a publisher specific - Store Publishing - rack from 1953.  Never heard of the publisher, the comics, or the concept that there were six cent comics.  This is why I love these boards!

There's a Nationwide counter rack that's kind of the same except it's made out of cardboard. I've only seen one that I got out bid on a couple years ago. It's for the 4 Nationwide 5 cent Digest titles.

I hope its ok to ask this question here related to a rack I have that "may" be a counter comic rack.   It is approximately 28" Tall and sits flat on a counter.  It doesn't have indications (broken weld, etc.) of being part of a larger rack.

Does anyone know if this is a counter rack or just part of a full rack?  

I was told it was a counter rack but with all your great knowledge on this board I though I would ask to make sure. 

Thanks for any help/advice

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

49 minutes ago, buddy2 said:

I hope its ok to ask this question here related to a rack I have that "may" be a counter comic rack.   It is approximately 28" Tall and sits flat on a counter.  It doesn't have indications (broken weld, etc.) of being part of a larger rack.

I was told it was a counter rack but with all your great knowledge on this board I though I would ask to make sure. 

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image0.jpeg

I’m far from an expert but seeing the cross wires at the bottom where they intersect makes me think that’s where the pole for a spinner rack would go. At least it matches my spinner rack. Either this is a tabletop spinner (without base), or someone chopped this down to size. My 2c

1 hour ago, buddy2 said:

image0.jpeg

That's a very unique counter rack.  Yes, the pole goes through the middle square.  You just need a base for it to be complete:

386733347_IMG_0639(2).thumb.jpg.3d127fb45b637ba467f37a7339cb701c.jpg