• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Comic Racks
6 6

227 posts in this topic

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:57 AM, sfcityduck said:

It is harder to date Dell racks than DC racks because Dell never was part of the CCA.   Dell's heyday ended in 1962 when Western took most of the licensed properties to Gold Key, but it continued limping along until 1974. 

I'm fairly certain that wood racks date back to the GA.  Most metal racks probably post-date the GA but are 1950s (the ones with characters).  And a few may even post-date the events of 1962 (the ones with just a Dell logo and no characters).  Here's some examples:

92bc3c924b2a304835359b8cb2b5cc14--comic-

What a great Dell rack. Would love to find one of these some day.

Hopefully it's filled with good comics now.

I thought I would add the picture of this comics rack from a 1953 article Wertham wrote for the Ladies Home Journal.  An interesting question for SOTIcollector would be if any of the comics illustrated in the LHJ article aren't pictured in SOTI.  Could be something that should be noted by the OPG as this was a hugely influential article.

s-l1600.jpg

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

On a different thread, I promised Damonwad I'd post these pics as he's a CI collector.  They are of Worldwide Classics Newsletter No. 7 and illustrations it has of vintage CI racks:

IMG_0962.JPG.91f1e9708e27a206482bf0524c3a6308.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg.9e415d16e0b896e6b933109e4c86fc04.jpg

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

On a different thread, I promised Damonwad I'd post these pics as he's a CI collector.  They are of Worldwide Classics Newsletter No. 7 and illustrations it has of vintage CI racks:

IMG_0962.JPG.91f1e9708e27a206482bf0524c3a6308.JPG

FullSizeRender.jpg.9e415d16e0b896e6b933109e4c86fc04.jpg

Lots of interesting info in there and Dan Malan sure had a passion for Classics Illustrated.

Besides the ones you posted and I posted in the other thread, I think I've only seen 3 other styles of wire rack for sale or in a collection. One spinner rack, one 15 pocket wall rack and one 18 (?) pocket rack that leaned against a wall.

I've seen  7 or 8 of the .25 cent countertop version and it's by far the most common of the wire racks (including one on Hakes a few years ago).

I've also seen one large wooden rack like the one from Heritage that you posted on the previous page , but it had brown wood and slightly different text and prices on the yellow plates. 

23 minutes ago, damonwad said:

Lots of interesting info in there and Dan Malan sure had a passion for Classics Illustrated.

Besides the ones you posted and I posted in the other thread, I think I've only seen 3 other styles of wire rack for sale or in a collection. One spinner rack, one 15 pocket wall rack and one 18 (?) pocket rack that leaned against a wall.

I've seen  7 or 8 of the .25 cent countertop version and it's by far the most common of the wire racks (including one on Hakes a few years ago).

I've also seen one large wooden rack like the one from Heritage that you posted on the previous page , but it had brown wood and slightly different text and prices on the yellow plates. 

You should post your CI rack pictures here!  

A pretty cool CI rack, one sided stand up with two columns for books, was sold on this site here:

My mom has held onto a Classics Illustrated comic book stand for 40+ years and is looking to sell it. Anyone out there interested? I've seen a countertop version sell for nearly $700 on Hake's.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/danielandrewclem/85iN8X

https://www.flickr.com/gp/danielandrewclem/H40282

How does $550 plus shipping sound? No returns. If no takers here we'll probably try eBay or Hake's.

[originally posted in main thread]

9 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

You should post your CI rack pictures here!  

A pretty cool CI rack, one sided stand up with two columns for books, was sold on this site here:

I missed that thread with the large CI rack and it's a style I haven't seen being sold before.

Here are the pics from the other post and hopefully others will be adding some racks from the different publishers.

5989d4b7c20ba_CIRack-1.thumb.JPG.4b4152c0bdd5a9dbd73f66cca95f6a21.JPG

On 6/29/2017 at 0:15 PM, sfcityduck said:

As a quick digression, that rare format Dell wooden rack is very similar to a Dell paperback rack that also had dividers on the shelves:

mapbacks_send2.jpg

I think the wooden racks with dividers were the earliest used.  I've seen a different, but equally cool, Dell paperback rack here in an SF bookstore without dividers:

dellbooks003.jpg

I have a similar Dell paperback rack that I found in an antique shop in Seymour, Illinois about ten years ago. 

bookshelf-4.jpg

bookshelf-2.jpg

bookshelf-3.jpg

I have always  wanted a spinner rack like the one I bought comics from as a kid in the 60s.  So far I had to settle for a cardboard Classics Illustrated stand up display  rack.  It has been on display in my Office for years chock full of period Classics books.  Even though these are all Silver age items I think they would be of interest here.  I am out of town waiting to testify as an expert witness so with the new F***bucket I will have to add the image latet

On 8/8/2017 at 12:27 PM, Mutant Manatee said:

I have a similar Dell paperback rack that I found in an antique shop in Seymour, Illinois about ten years ago. 

bookshelf-4.jpg

bookshelf-2.jpg

bookshelf-3.jpg

I finally was able to get my own wooden Dell pb rack.  Needs a a bit of work but I like it.  It has the same message as is on the back of the rack above.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 7/6/2017 at 1:04 PM, sfcityduck said:

This one's beat up, but I like wall racks.  You almost never seen them, which is in line with the supposed rarity of Classics racks:

182434008945.jpg

More tonight or tomorrow.

Any chance you remember where this pic came from? It looks to be the actual exact one I picked up a couple months back, here in Michigan.

It's weird to search for info on an item and have essentially the only pic to pop up be the item I own.

On 8/7/2017 at 10:19 PM, sfcityduck said:

I thought I would add the picture of this comics rack from a 1953 article Wertham wrote for the Ladies Home Journal.  An interesting question for SOTIcollector would be if any of the comics illustrated in the LHJ article aren't pictured in SOTI.  Could be something that should be noted by the OPG as this was a hugely influential article.

s-l1600.jpg

Not to drag this thread way OT, but did @SOTIcollector ever respond?  I'd be interested in knowing the answer. hm

4 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Not to drag this thread way OT, but did @SOTIcollector ever respond?  I'd be interested in knowing the answer. hm

My apologies for not responding sooner, and thanks, @Sqeggs, for reminding me that I had not done so.

There were illos from two books in the Ladies' Home Journal article that did not end up in SOTI.  In addition, most of the comics shown in photographs with kids reading the were also not included in SOTI.  It appears that for the photos of the kids reading comics, they grabbed a bunch of books off the stands, typically with cover dates of August and September, 1953.

This two-panel illo apears on page 51 of the Ladies' Home Journal article.

Boards_Ladies_Home_Journal_Blue_Beetle.JPG.71f5ac9417d1e327ae4f10a7cf0297c8.JPG

The illo comes from Blue Beetle #54.  Although Blue Beetle #54's cover was depicted in SOTI, as was a "headlights" panel from the interior that was featured in both the LHJ article and SOTI, the panels that include the hit-and-run victim were not pictured in SOTI.

Boards_Blue_Beetle_54.JPG.2971481f1109025998183dc5da91af61.JPG

This is the panel that appeared in both SOTI and the LHJ article.

Boards_Blue_Beetle_54_Headlights.JPG.85dbf9dbc794418db68b7bb55bad1d53.JPG

The cover appeared in SOTI, but not in the LHJ article.

Boards_Blue_Beetle_54_cover.jpg.7af7d421989131c1f40ff8a37b600c4c.jpg

The other illo that appeared in Ladies' Home Journal but not SOTI was from Thrilling Comics #69.

Here's the image from page 52 of the LHJ article.

Boards_Ladies_Home_Journal_Thrilling_Comics.JPG.214eb41411da70986d293e4ca6488278.JPG

And this is how it appeared in Thrilling Comics #69.

Boards_Thrilling_Comics_39_page.JPG.914e4b59b3b8ba6b0e39fe0aea173e41.JPG

Cover of Thrilling #69 included, just because.

Boards_Thrilling_Comics_69.jpg.6c48207d7e37b6cca09a4e31fa09b1bf.jpg

I have also identified most of the comics that appear in photographs in the article (for example, the girl pictured above has a copy of Haunt of Fear #19 in her lap) .  If there's interest, I'll be glad to post those as well.

Edited by SOTIcollector
spelling correction

On 6/29/2017 at 10:57 AM, sfcityduck said:

It is harder to date Dell racks than DC racks because Dell never was part of the CCA.   Dell's heyday ended in 1962 when Western took most of the licensed properties to Gold Key, but it continued limping along until 1974. 

I'm fairly certain that wood racks date back to the GA.  Most metal racks probably post-date the GA but are 1950s (the ones with characters).  And a few may even post-date the events of 1962 (the ones with just a Dell logo and no characters).  Here's some examples:

92bc3c924b2a304835359b8cb2b5cc14--comic-

Our Gang ended in 1949, after becoming Our Gang with Tom & Jerry in 1947.  Henry got his own series in 1948 after a pair of Four Color one shots in 1946 and 1947.  I would guess that rack as 1948, give or take a year.

5 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Our Gang ended in 1949, after becoming Our Gang with Tom & Jerry in 1947.  Henry got his own series in 1948 after a pair of Four Color one shots in 1946 and 1947.  I would guess that rack as 1948, give or take a year.

Great info! :applause:

12 hours ago, SOTIcollector said:

I have also identified most of the comics that appear in photographs in the article (for example, the girl pictured above has a copy of Haunt of Fear #19 in her lap) .  If there's interest, I'll be glad to post those as well.

Please do!