• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Comic Racks
6 6

227 posts in this topic

Moving on to Dell.  Dell has the most common of all the wooden racks:

image.jpg

I believe that these racks were originally made without any signage at the bottom.  However, some folks, including Robot Man, have added an extra sign to the bottom of the rack which, I must admit, while not original makes it look even neater.

Here's a pic of a rack with the extra sign added at the bottom (not Robot Man's which I think looks much better):

s-l1600_2.jpg

You might notice that the bottom, not originally attached, sign has a different color scheme (blue/pink) from the top two signs (blue/yellow).   I don't believe that sign was repainted because Dell used pink signs on its metal spinner racks:

dellsign.jpg

And a very very rare wooden Dell comic rack in a different format exists (the only one I've seen) with the blue/pink paint scheme (owned by dthompson_w-migration):

imageproxy_3.jpg

So if you see a Dell wooden rack with a blue/pink color scheme, the paint is original.

As a quick digression, that rare format Dell wooden rack is very similar to a Dell paperback rack that also had dividers on the shelves:

mapbacks_send2.jpg

I think the wooden racks with dividers were the earliest used.  I've seen a different, but equally cool, Dell paperback rack here in an SF bookstore without dividers:

dellbooks003.jpg

It is harder to date Dell racks than DC racks because Dell never was part of the CCA.   Dell's heyday ended in 1962 when Western took most of the licensed properties to Gold Key, but it continued limping along until 1974. 

I'm fairly certain that wood racks date back to the GA.  Most metal racks probably post-date the GA but are 1950s (the ones with characters).  And a few may even post-date the events of 1962 (the ones with just a Dell logo and no characters).  Here's some examples:

92bc3c924b2a304835359b8cb2b5cc14--comic-

bfo0vc.jpg&key=f2628971fc8f23befb6c38ddf

Hey sfcityduck, nice rack thread. Here are two shots of my Dell rack. One set up with period Dell comics and another with the addition of the other panel I found all by it's self at an antique show. It often looks like the bottom photo. I like that it doesn't have any hard slots so all manner of paper collectibles can be displayed in it. I often fill it up with holiday comics.

dellcomicrack_zps75f0f72a.jpg

comicrackdell2_zpskanr4fvq.jpg

Love your Dell rack!  A wooden Dell rack is at the top of my wantlist.  Right now I'm making due with a Gold Key wooden rack I use to store some of my oversized comic strip collections while I figure out a comic book room setup - so I'm right there with you in liking the lack of comic sized slots:

IMG_0401.jpg

That Little Golden Book rack is supercool also! 

Back to Dell, there is also a sheet metal rack, basically a sheet metal version of the standard wood rack, with a single Dell sign panel.  I've seen, one but misplaced the picture.  I don't think it is GA though, probably 1960s.  I also have seen a spinner rack with a red four sided sign that says "Dell" in white letters.  That one may be 1970s. 

And that's about all the info I have on Dell GA racks.

22 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Back to Dell, there is also a sheet metal rack, basically a sheet metal version of the standard wood rack, with a single Dell sign panel.  I've seen, one but misplaced the picture.  I don't think it is GA though, probably 1960s.  I also have seen a spinner rack with a red four sided sign that says "Dell" in white letters.  That one may be 1970s. 

And that's about all the info I have on Dell GA racks.

Oops, I left out the 1961 Dell "postage stamp" rack, one of the very coolest of all racks.  I've seen one in the Northwest, and this one was posted on this site by Comicdey:

148445.jpg.2581681478f4825dfd153ec3ae2bf

These spinners, because they have eight sides, hold a ton of comics.

On 6/22/2017 at 4:08 PM, sfcityduck said:

I'm just curious what comic book racks were extant in the Golden Age.  My own research reveals the existence of racks (wire spinner, wooden shelf, and flat wire) by DC, Dell, and Ziff-Davis  [Correction: and King Comics and Classics Illustrated].  I've never seen a rack by any other publisher.  I'd love to increase my knowledge of this subject. 

In the interest of sharing, here's some info on D.C.

I believe the first D.C. comics rack came out in 1939 and featured seven slots for Action, Detective, Adventure, Superman, Flash, All-American, and More Fun:

954d8d1cb933d02c4a6ec6e5c0a9f3da.jpg

Another example:

53172355_1_m.jpg?version=1494511437

This was followed in short order by a seven slot rack for Action, Detective, Adventure, Superman, Flash, All-American, and All-Flash/World's Finest (sorry More Fun):

image.jpg

The last of this sort of GA rack was a ten slot rack for Action, Detective, Superman, Batman, Flash, Adventure, All-American, More Fun, All-Star, and World's Finest/All-Flash. 

image.jpg

Some of these early DC racks also included an extra plate stating:

image.jpg

After that, DC had so many titles that they switched to racks which did not identify specific comics for the slots.

I'll post more later if anyone's interested or has their own info to share on GA racks.

Whoops.  I thought this thread was headlights.  Apologies.

f.jpg

I think this is all really interesting.  Has anyone heard of someone manufacturing reproductions?  I would not think the materials would be that expensive and I would like one but there are certainly not enough of these around anymore to meet demand.

Thanks

12 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

Oops, I left out the 1961 Dell "postage stamp" rack, one of the very coolest of all racks.  I've seen one in the Northwest, and this one was posted on this site by Comicdey:

148445.jpg.2581681478f4825dfd153ec3ae2bf

These spinners, because they have eight sides, hold a ton of comics.

Thanks for the shout out. Love my rack which has two distinct panels?

IMG_4673.JPG

IMG_4674.JPG

IMG_4675.JPG

Edited by Comicdey

These pics from a brochure for Atlas Wire racks were posted before.
Imagine being a kid in 1938 or 1939 and trying to decide which comics to buy.
Rack 575 has 1938 books and the others have 1939 books. Note the Tec 33 and look at all those Centaur books!

AtlasWire1939-01_zpsanmdcl4o.jpg

AtlasWire1939-02_zpsegkllixg.jpg

RACK-24pocket-01_zpsqewlc3a3.jpg

A quick digression back to Dell, this is that metal version of the wooden Dell 50s comic rack I mentioned up thread.  This low quality picture is the only one I can now find of this rack.  It's sheet metal with one sign:

th.jpg

Moving on to Classics Illustrated.  I'm not a Classics collector (have some), but I have to admit there are a lot of neat Classics related items for such collectors to collect.  However, an old 1989 fanzine which I'll post from later, claims that Classics comic racks are extremely extremely rare.  I'm really curious as to whether folks have seen many.  I have seen them pop up from time to time, so I'm a little skeptical of the rarity claim (but I may be seeing multiple pictures of the same racks). 

In any event, this rack really impresses me.  Only one like this I've ever seen:

11246044%5D,sizedata%5B850x600%5D&call=u