• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM - Legacy numbering

39 posts in this topic

ASM is rumored at 788 see link below, I am ready for the renumber plus I am curious what all they are going to include within the renumber. For example they have a Venom 150 but they totaled up all the random Venom comics that was originally created for almost like a mini series books. I am thinking they will include the .1s and the Superior Spider-man. I don't see how they would not include that title since that was a major story line that impacted ASM.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/06/19/11-marvel-comics-getting-renumbered-marvel-legacy-make-mine-marvel/

Since 700, I've got Superior 31 plus Vol 3 @18 plus 5* plus 32 for current series/volume 4.
I don't count the 700.1-5, the SpiderVerse Superior issues 32/33, the volume 3 point ones 1.1-5 or 16.1 to 20.1 or the Spiral six parter.
Based on the link, you can get to 788 counting the 19.1 & 20.1 issues of my first sentence or you can count everything and we're already at 802 or 803. :acclaim:

*I do count Secret Wars Renew your Vows 1-5 since that replaced ASM briefly.

thanks! 

How could they get to #788?

ASM v1+v2 = 700

Superior Spider-Man = 31 = 731

ASM v3 = 21 = 753

ASMRYV = 5 = 758

ASM v4 = 30 = 788. Would this mean ASM 30 will get a double numbering, like they way they went back from v2 to the legacy numbering?

It will be confusing that much is for certain until they tell us more. I am just saying if they did what they did with Venom 150 expect the un expected. Personally I don't care how they calculate it as long as they go back. If I missed anything I will eventually go back and fill in the holes. I miss the old numbering system, it just had more meaning. I have noticed prices on the books for reboots and such and while they are in that series the prices are higher, once they move to a new reboot the previous reboot drops. Ever since they moved from ASM 700 to Superior the value of ASM 1 was and remained stagnate for some time. It was not until the last few months I noticed an uptick in the value of ASM 1 which is about the same time renumbering back started up. I wonder if there is any coincidence. It seems to me ASM 1-700 have more meaning and value with them returning back to the old numbering. I noticed when DC did the rebirth that Action and Detective reverted back and it was at that time I figured Marvel would follow suit. I wish Marvel would stop following and start leading a bit.

I know many people who consider Superior as not a part of the Amazing run but I don't see how you couldn't. I believe all of those .1 books will play into the renumbering as well.

Damn, how do they get to #789? I (think) I have a complete run with  

• ASM v1 + v2: 700
  • SS 1-31 (=701-731)
  • ASM v3 1-18 (=732-749)
  • ASMRYV 1-5 (=750-754)
  • ASM v4 1-32 (=755-786) ???

I need to know what I should add to my collection to 'make it right' :facepalm:

5 hours ago, Dutch74 said:

Damn, how do they get to #789? I (think) I have a complete run with  

• ASM v1 + v2: 700
  • SS 1-31 (=701-731)
  • ASM v3 1-18 (=732-749)
  • ASMRYV 1-5 (=750-754)
  • ASM v4 1-32 (=755-786) ???

I need to know what I should add to my collection to 'make it right' :facepalm:

Superior 32 & 33 I presume @Dutch74 - see the post from @bababooey above which shows Slott adding them. Must be an 'old' picture though, as it shows v4 at 29 issues?

Thx, don't understand how I could have overlooked that post. ???

Superior Spider-Man 32 and 33... that is completely ridiculous. It shows a disturbing disrespect for the history and continuity of the series. Speaking of continuity, Amazing Scarlet Spider 1 and 2 would fit better into a calculation adding up to 789. But of so, what about ASM -1?

2 hours ago, Dutch74 said:

Thx, don't understand how I could have overlooked that post. ???

Superior Spider-Man 32 and 33... that is completely ridiculous. It shows a disturbing disrespect for the history and continuity of the series. Speaking of continuity, Amazing Scarlet Spider 1 and 2 would fit better into a calculation adding up to 789. But of so, what about ASM -1?

Never overlook a @bababooey post @Dutch74. He knows his Spidey onions so he does.

I think any number with a minus in front of it, or a point behind it should be considered an extension of that number. So -1 is an extension of #1. 700.1 is an extension of 700. So they should not be counted as issue numbers in their own right. The Scarlet Spider should be included, if Superior is. Both cover Spidey real time continuity with an alternate lead in Parkers absence. 

But it's all a load of tripe at the end of the day, and beneath our dignity to quibble over ? 

Indeed it is not important, but it is still a nice little puzzle. And I have some kind of fetish when it comes to numbers (shrug)

I agree when it comes to the #.1 extensions. They were always additional to the core title and never replaced it. That is why I regards them as mini-series and never bothered to collect them. The -1 is another story, it replaced the core title for 1 month. Still, we could say we have the -1 and the +788 books... In that case Slott mistakenly ended up with the correct legacy number :wink: Or did I miss any other interruptions of the ASM series?

The only problem with the inclusion of Amazing Scarlet Spider is that the numbering of 406-700 was wrong...:facepalm:

Edited by Dutch74

15 minutes ago, Dutch74 said:

Indeed it is not important, but it is still a nice little puzzle. And I have some kind of fetish when it comes to numbers (shrug)

I agree when it comes to the #.1 extensions. They were always additional to the core title and never replaced it. That is why I regards them as mini-series and never bothered to collect them. The -1 is another story, it replaced the core title for 1 month. Still, we could say we have the -1 and the +788 books... In that case Slott mistakenly ended up with the correct legacy number :wink: Or did I miss any other interruptions of the ASM series?

The only problem with the inclusion of Amazing Scarlet Spider is that the numbering of 406-700 was wrong...:facepalm:

I was kidding of course. Numbering is important to us completists.  Or ex-completists in my case. All the tinkering used to drive me nuts. I'll have to check, but when I sold my brothers Hulks for him I could never work out the numbering there either. I seem to recall it didn't add up at all when it was reset. 

I long for the old days of one issue of Spider-Man Comics Weekly every week (obviously) for 800 years. No variants, no gimmicks. Just one good comic every week. Until I discovered they were reprints that is, and the world fell in. 

1 hour ago, silentassassin said:

How do they get to Spiderman 234?

How do they get to Peter Parker 297?

Please help me with these... all help would be appreciated. 

Spider-man is the continuation of Ultimate Spider-man numbering.  Original, reboot to 150 renumbering, death, Fallout, Miles, Miles, 616 Spider-Miles.

Peter Parker is a tricky one, the Peter Parker Spider-man from 1998 picked up the dual numbering from the Macfarlane Spidey run that went to 98 issues.  That run ended at 57 (155 for legacy numbering)  Those two series don't appear to be part of this.
The original Peter Parker series that started in the mid-70's went to issue 263 & the Jenkin/Ramos reboot from the above PPTSS series went to 27 & never attached itself to the prior series' numbering so I'm figuring that the Peter Parker 297 is 263 plus 27 plus whatever that new series gets up to before fall. there was also some garbage Web/PPTSS etc... point 1 issues a while ago & a Peter Parker issue 1000 w/Punisher.  They might be counting one of the cartoony Peter Parker series.  Don't know for sure.

I am not into Spectacular Spider-Man so much, but maybe something like this ???

• Spectacular Spider-Man v1: 264
  • Spectacular Spider-Man v2: 1-27 (=265-291)
  • Spectacular Spider-Man v3: 1-4 (=292-295)

This is interesting, I hope they include the breaking down of all of these. I was thinking the spiderman (Todd) went up to 98 that was part of the spiderman 200 and something issues for this thing. Who knows. I don't remember if I have Spectacular Spiderman V2 or not. I decided this morning that I will grab my boxes and reorganize all of the reboots in chronological order now it is making sense of things again. It will be much easier to organize these that way as opposed to how I had them previously.