• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cool collections. Meaningful to you
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I also had a paper route to fund my comic purchases as a young lad,the Ottawa Citizen. :foryou:

One of my collections that is most important to me?When I was around thirteen there was a massive auction of a comic collection here.All the books were bundled into white grocer bags (so you could see the top comic and maybe a few others if you shifted them,they were numbered and on tables) or in duotang (sp?) style binders,with two flat holes punched through the books.This was how the previous owner stored his 'runs'.

Being a morbid kid,I was attracted to the more horror stuff at the time,and you could never find it around here anyways,let alone the mags.Got my butt handed to me on the Eeries,the Creepy's and the Weird Tales and the other gory sets.

Yet somehow I won the Vampirellas for fifteen dollars! 1 to 112!Holy moly was I excited,and shocked!Now Vampy was not near as popular back in 1988..but I was CHUFFED at the deal.I read everyone of them with my dad(RIP) and uncle Joey(RIP).Joey took me to that auction,and I think it's what really got him into comics other than driving me around to every comic store in town lol .There was a lot back in those days! 

I only took them out of their binders in 2008 when I got back into serious collecting,and besides the two punctures they are all in great shape.I'd never get rid of a single one,even though there are a few dupes.

I love them..maybe it's time for a reread!

25 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

I also had a paper route to fund my comic purchases as a young lad,the Ottawa Citizen. :foryou:

One of my collections that is most important to me?When I was around thirteen there was a massive auction of a comic collection here.All the books were bundled into white grocer bags (so you could see the top comic and maybe a few others if you shifted them,they were numbered and on tables) or in duotang (sp?) style binders,with two flat holes punched through the books.This was how the previous owner stored his 'runs'.

Being a morbid kid,I was attracted to the more horror stuff at the time,and you could never find it around here anyways,let alone the mags.Got my butt handed to me on the Eeries,the Creepy's and the Weird Tales and the other gory sets.

Yet somehow I won the Vampirellas for fifteen dollars! 1 to 112!Holy moly was I excited,and shocked!Now Vampy was not near as popular back in 1988..but I was CHUFFED at the deal.I read everyone of them with my dad(RIP) and uncle Joey(RIP).Joey took me to that auction,and I think it's what really got him into comics other than driving me around to every comic store in town lol .There was a lot back in those days! 

I only took them out of their binders in 2008 when I got back into serious collecting,and besides the two punctures they are all in great shape.I'd never get rid of a single one,even though there are a few dupes.

Very cool!

Thanks for sharing.

2 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Was uncle Joey the boardie that used to hassle me on that ASM Annual 4?

My MVS stamp book is pretty meaningful to me, as well as the first 10-12 issues of FOOM.  I was 11/12/13 or so at the time.  My MVS book is a beauty - I used glue that didn't turn and it is bone white - I've posted scans of it here before, but it would take me an hour to find the scans in photobucket (is there a search function on photophucket?).  I didn't really keep track of the MVS books, but I gradually replace all of them...., maybe.  Haven't checked the Hulk 181 out of fear.  Recently put together collections that I just love are my fish-in-the-face books and my parachute books.

I used to go to Portland, Oregon in the summers and live with my sister, while painting her house, mowing the lawn and doing all kinds of handy-man stuff.  I would work and work and hit the comic shops and conventions, buy what I could, notate what I needed more $ for, and go back and work and work until I had the money to buy.  I rarely spent money on soda or snacks or other carp, just saved it all for comics.

16 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:
18 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Was uncle Joey the boardie that used to hassle me on that ASM Annual 4?

Ghost Rider?Probably.

Well, I guess we are all jackwagons at times - RIP.

When you think about it Marvel was only interested in selling their product and the comics were worthless to them. It was the same with FOOM in the British comics as you had to cut out the stamp and send your money to join. Yes I was one of those kids and I hated cutting into MY comics, in fact that was the reason I found it easy to sell as I knew the stamps were missing. 

13 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

I was looking through some pictures on my hard drive earlier today and decided to ask:

What collection do you own that has some meaning to you?

In my case, I could post my completed Planet Comics run, but my Marvel Value Stamp collection has more meaning.

I started buying comics when I was 5, using allowance money given to me for completing chores on the farm I lived on.

But when I was 8 years old, I got a paper delivery route for the newly built trailer park that was 5 blocks from the farm. It was massive, and had lots of trailers; a couple of hundred. I got the lucrative Edmonton Journal paper route, and almost all of the money I earned was spent buying comics. A little after that I also got the route in that trailer park for the brand new paper called the Edmonton Sun. With 2 routes, I was bringing in enough money to buy all the comics I wanted.

The Marvel value stamps were from the time period in my life when I was buying comics with my paper route money.

Here is my collection.

I got my unfilled stamp book signed by Stan Lee, the rest of my collection are books that contain the stamp; no stamps shall be cut from my books.

Here are the books and the Stamp Booklet in my 70's spinner rack: the exact type of rack I would have purchased the books from originally.

imageproxyHQDQVI3P.jpg

imageproxyM8UHJ06E.jpg

imageproxyULKG9KGU.jpg

imageproxyQTKD4R7Z.jpg

imageproxyP8RU6FIY.jpg

imageproxyUZR0VRN9.jpg

imageproxy.jpg

Lovin this thread and your collection of MVS books, love the spinner racks.

Makes me feel good and puts a smile on my face to see somebody collecting and having a collection because it means something to them other than $$$ signs.

45 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Shortly after I discovered these boards I decided to put together a collection of 70s gothic horror around the theme of the "Lady in White" even creating a scoring matrix and journaling about each discovery/purchase. Here are most of the books once I finished the colelction

xdnvd2J.jpg

(yes I know some of them arent in white dresses, but they were too perfect to exclude) 

Here is my multi-year journal collecting the theme

And here's when I sold ém

I held on to a few to commemorate the collection, and I recently re-bought one that was offered here on the boards. What can I say, they are beauties!

The collection will always be special to me cause it was one of the things that helped cement me in this community, even after I moved on to collecting GA books. 

I've still got the Dracula Lives 9.4, albeit, deslabbed now.