• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Value comparison: buying a complete book to individual pages
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I know values on art depend on artists, character, series and a number of other factors. I was wondering if you take it all out and just to compare what a complete book and the value if all the pages were sold separately (just interiors not the cover). What do people think is the ratio: pages sold together (complete) to pages sold individually (total value)?

I think the complete book will sell at a figure that will be just enough to make a potential dealer/collector potentially not want to bother with the hassle of splitting it up.

I.e.  the default underbidders will be resellers and the difficulty of resale will affect the underbids. 

Where that line lies will depend on the specifics as you said, but I'd guess... I dunno, 80 or 85% of the broken up value is what my gut is telling me?   Depending.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

I think the complete book will sell at a figure that will be just enough to make a potential dealer/collector potentially not want to bother with the hassle of splitting it up.

I.e.  the default underbidders will be resellers and the difficulty of resale will affect the underbids. 

Where that line lies will depend on the specifics as you said, but I'd guess... I dunno, 80 or 85% of the broken up value is what my gut is telling me?   Depending.

I like that answer, if markets were perfectly efficient, I can see the discount being higher in some cases but I like the 80-85% as the upper bound

Malvin 

19 hours ago, Bronty said:

There's an economy of scale that benefits the seller of a full comic. One commission on the sale. One shipping cost, and only one shipment, etc. Therefore, they can take a "discount" from the per-page sales value. The problem is knowing what the "per page" sales value is on a whole book sale because there are no sales comps from that book to compare it to. You have to get a little but more speculative.

I think any bidder on a full book would probably try and estimate a per page value, and then extrapolate that to determine a potential bidding price, but then discounting it a certain percentage accordingly.