• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

But, it's just an ugly barcode, right?
2 2

105 posts in this topic

Same seller, same auction ending times for the same book (if you don't see any difference in direct editions and newsstand editions).

CGC 9.8 WildCATS #1 (1992) direct edition = $32.00

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152578601528

CGC 9.8 WildCATS #1 (1992) with UPC (newsstand) = $150.23

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152578602439

Not everyone cares.  Not everyone has to.  The market will reflect those who do and those who don't.

1 minute ago, ygogolak said:
3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Is there anything J-dawg isn't debating? 

Touche

But, specifically, it was discussed at length before, with some debate: 

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

But, specifically, it was discussed at length before, with some debate: 

Yes, with the caveat that it varies greatly depending on the book. A non-desired book, for the most part, doesn't sell any more often. The Image books however are all hitting that magical 25 year mark. I definitely attribute that and the rise of the Modern variant market to the uptick in those specific books.

55 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

Yes, with the caveat that it varies greatly depending on the book. A non-desired book, for the most part, doesn't sell any more often. The Image books however are all hitting that magical 25 year mark. I definitely attribute that and the rise of the Modern variant market to the uptick in those specific books.

Definitely, which is why I posted this topic in the Modern Age section, rather than the Copper Age section.  Newsstand editions for early Copper Age probably exist in about the same numbers as the Direct Editions.  Starting around 1986, there are probably fewer newsstands.  By the time of Modern Age (1992 or whatever), there are basically no newsstands that are as common as direct editions.  When it comes to Image (and Valiant), the newsstands are significantly lower because I don't think either publisher was doing much more than half-heartedly experimenting on newsstand sales.

I think there's a big difference between variant newsstand covers and simply newsstand books. I don't care about Spawn 1-4 Newsstand.

But I *love* my WildCATS # 2 newwstand (which is just non-foil, and not a second print).

Likewise, Supreme # 1 newsstand (non-foil) is roughly much much harder to find than Supreme # 1 (gold).

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Definitely, which is why I posted this topic in the Modern Age section, rather than the Copper Age section.  Newsstand editions for early Copper Age probably exist in about the same numbers as the Direct Editions.  Starting around 1986, there are probably fewer newsstands.  By the time of Modern Age (1992 or whatever), there are basically no newsstands that are as common as direct editions.  When it comes to Image (and Valiant), the newsstands are significantly lower because I don't think either publisher was doing much more than half-heartedly experimenting on newsstand sales.

What Modern Marvel newstands sell for anything?

17 minutes ago, ygogolak said:

What Modern Marvel newstands sell for anything?

Marvel newsstand "recognition" (or nostalgia) is lagging behind the Image nostalgia, because Marvel nostalgia doesn't start with 1992.

There is a premium for the 9/11 Spider-man (Vol. 2 #36) newsstand because it's pretty rare compared to the direct edition.

Otherwise, it's only a slight premium paid by SOME collectors for newsstand moderns... but I think it's slight for now, probably more (at least double the direct prices) later.

43 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I think there's a big difference between variant newsstand covers and simply newsstand books. I don't care about Spawn 1-4 Newsstand.

But I *love* my WildCATS # 2 newwstand (which is just non-foil, and not a second print).

Likewise, Supreme # 1 newsstand (non-foil) is roughly much much harder to find than Supreme # 1 (gold).

I definitely agree that when the cover is changed (WildCATS #2, Supreme #1, Shadowhawk #1) it's much easier to feel the "difference" in the newsstands, but I would add that I can remember 1992 comics and I never saw a newsstand for Spawn #1 - #3, and the copies of Spawn #4 newsstand that I saw were visibly damaged, as if multiple people had picked it up, thumbed through it, and put it back down.

The newsstand Image books (and Valiant) generally had rough lives, and then they were (supposed to be) returned and destroyed if they didn't sell.

The same is true for Marvel and D.C., of course, but those publishers began as newsstand publishers, so there's a transition from newsstand normal to newsstand rare.  Image and Valiant were only ever newsstand rare.

11 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I sure wish that CGC had been differentiating newsstand vs direct in the census and GPA doing the same with their service!

Spawn #9 has been differentiated by CGC since 2013.

Since that time, Spawn #9 has been submitted to CGC 1,411 times.  58 of those are noted as Newsstand.  That's about the same as a 1:20 or 1:25 variant.

Just now, valiantman said:

Spawn #9 has been differentiated by CGC since 2013.

Since that time, Spawn #9 has been submitted to CGC 1,411 times.  58 of those are noted as Newsstand.  That's about the same as a 1:20 or 1:25 variant.

Any idea why they only chose that issue (other that 1st Angela)?

1 minute ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Any idea why they only chose that issue (other that 1st Angela)?

I believe it is because they wanted to note that newsstand editions did not come with the Angela poster.  If a direct edition is missing the Angela poster, it's damaged.  If it's newsstand, there wasn't one.

2 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I believe it is because they wanted to note that newsstand editions did not come with the Angela poster.  If a direct edition is missing the Angela poster, it's damaged.  If it's newsstand, there wasn't one.

Gotcha. And the others all came with poster, regardless?

2 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Gotcha. And the others all came with poster, regardless?

All the direct editions of Spawn #9 had a poster.  None of the newsstand editions of Spawn #9 had a poster.

Some of the other Image newsstand books were printed on different paper (newsprint vs. glossy white), so CGC could have a reason to differentiate other newsstands without it just being about the UPC barcode.  Usually, CGC only notes things that are "physically different" or different cover prices (30-cent variant, 35-cent variant), which they see as different "variants" of books.  What's printed in the UPC box (or the lack of the box) hasn't been recognized when everything else is identical.  But it's probably just a matter of time, since the people paying for slabbing are the ones who eventually get "the customer is always right" consideration.  It just has to be seen as a change that leads to profit... or a change to ensure customer retention.

Interesting I'll have to check my copy of Spawn 9

Mine was the label before this last upgrade.... I don't remember it saying Newsstand on the label though, so 2013 is when it started ? I'll have to check that out. it's a 9.6

last I checked 1st angelica didn't go for much, is that different now that they express appreciation for newsies?? or does the label have to specify such? that it is a newsstand version...I know that the Barcode tell's the tale, but I don't know if that is common knowledge? so I didn't know if it had to specify on the label to command a premium??

these questions are kind of universal not that I'm pumping Spawn 9, but in general if the didn't "always" note the newsie on the label, maybe they don't all command a premium ??? and that is what I'd like to know :) 

3 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

I absolutely agree.  I'll always happily pay a premium for a variant newsstand edition.  That WildCATS #2 newsstand is a prime example...

8.jpg

Edited by AnthonyTheAbyss
Engrish not good