• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

But, it's just an ugly barcode, right?
2 2

105 posts in this topic

On 7/11/2017 at 3:10 PM, VegasJeff said:

Does anyone have an idea when direct editions started to become more plentiful than newstand editions?

Might be an opportunity in picking up early direct editions.

Late 80s, early 90s.

On 7/28/2017 at 5:01 PM, comxdlr said:

So I have the wildcats 2 UPC code.  How about others like ASM 362.  I don't see a difference in the census for it.  

The CGC census doesn't differentiate for most newsstand books, unless there is a difference in the cover price or contents (with poster, without poster).  It's likely that CGC will eventually make a note, but even if they do, there will be 15+ years of slabs without the notes.

On 8/2/2017 at 2:26 PM, valiantman said:

The CGC census doesn't differentiate for most newsstand books, unless there is a difference in the cover price or contents (with poster, without poster).  It's likely that CGC will eventually make a note, but even if they do, there will be 15+ years of slabs without the notes.

Thanks for the info. I thought I checked on GPA a few weeks ago and didn't notice. I thought if they ID'd it differently in the census, it would be noted on the case, but I see now that's not true. Thanks for the info!

9 minutes ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

Thanks for the info. I thought I checked on GPA a few weeks ago and didn't notice. I thought if they ID'd it differently in the census, it would be noted on the case, but I see now that's not true. Thanks for the info!

I just checked Spawn #1 based on your comment in Copper Age discussion and it DOES look like GPA has figured out how to separate some newsstand sales without CGC making any notations.  It might be easier with books like Spawn #1 since the cover either has a UPC box or it doesn't.  I'll be interested to see if GPA can differentiate between newsstand and direct for the "art in the upc box" direct editions (such as ASM #300)... and whether they'll be able to differentiate between "long barcode" (direct) and "short barcode" (newsstands) for otherwise identical books (like ASM #529).

Edited by valiantman

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

I just checked Spawn #1 based on your comment in Copper Age discussion and it DOES look like GPA has figured out how to separate some newsstand sales without CGC making any notations.  It might be easier with books like Spawn #1 since the cover either has a UPC box or it doesn't.  I'll be interested to see if GPA can differentiate between newsstand and direct for the "art in the upc box" direct editions (such as ASM #300)... and whether they'll be able to differentiate between "long barcode" (direct) and "short barcode" (newsstands) for otherwise identical books (like ASM #529).

:luhv:

I've been on the Image barcode search for years. I have the First Savage Dragon mini, Wildcats1,2 and quite a few Spawn books as well. Was hoping the attention would be low for a few more years but it's good to find like minded individuals here.

On 10/16/2017 at 2:23 PM, John R said:

Just found these two today, after looking through many boxes

IMG_0712.JPG

nice