• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

KIller grading flaws?

23 posts in this topic

Qualified grade ignores one defect in assigning the numeric grade - but it gives the green qualified label. Common "qualified" defects include staple pulls, coupons or MVS cut out, a hole punched through the cover or the book and unwitnessed signatures. It is an extension of how many dealers used to and still do grade.  "NM but top staple detached from cover"  "NM but MVS missing" 

You can ask for a blue label grade instead. The centerfold detached at one staple is probably going to keep a book from grading better than 6.5 - 7.0.  A detached centerfold won't do better than 5.0-5.5.  I'm guessing. Only CGC knows for sure. 

Other defects that are "grade killers"  include stains, foxing and tanning edges/pages. 

Edited by Tony S

Some comments on Qualified, especially regarding detachments.

- If you are talking about a staple being completely detached from both the front and back cover it will get a Green Qualified label. Some mention the choice for a blue or green label is up to the submitter, I have never heard of CGC calling the submitter to ask. I suppose, after getting it graded as a Green Label, you can resubmit and ask for blue but I don't think you would be happy with the grade.

- If the cover is detached from both staples you will get a Blue label with a notation and a really low grade. I don't know if they will give a completely detached cover a Green label.

- It is possible to have one staple partially detached = off the front cover but still attached on the Back cover or vice versa.  CGC usually will give it a blue label, no notation, and knock points off the grade. I personally submitted a book like this, one staple partially detached, and got a Blue 9.0 . Keep in mind it was a stunning 9.6/9.8 book and the detached staple was not apparent to the naked eye without opening up the book. Sorry, I will not show a pic of this book.

- Centerfolds are a completely different story from the covers. One staple will usually get a Blue with a hammered grade, two staples will probably get a Green. 

Of course, all of this is subjective, based off of my personal experience. Another thing to consider is the damage caused by the detached staple. Some have tears, others are clean and probably bindery. This is considered by CGC when deciding to assign Green or Blue and how much the grade is hammered.  Hope this helps.