• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many AF15s have you found in the wild?
2 2

74 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, gadzukes said:

A buddy of mine told me he did a similar thing..... was hanging out at the LCS and someone came in and said they had some old comics in the car.  For some reason the clerk didn't show interest so my buddy followed them out to the parking lot and asked if he could see the comics.  He saw some GA Submariners in the 1st box he looked in.  He bought the comics right there in the parking lot of the LCS.

How many of you have followed someone out of the LCS to make a deal for some comics?

+1 guilty

56 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I simply can't imagine a LCS letting someone leave without looking at the comics.  Ummmm.... there could be an Action Comics #1.  You never know!

An owner, sure. But just an average hourly employee in a smaller shop that's not properly trained? Happens every day I suspect. 

Edited by G.A.tor

57 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I once showed some interest in a collection brought into my LCS.

The owner, Bob Gelner, patiently but thoroughly explained to me why that wasn't something I'd be doing in his shop again.  :blush:

I was young.

Yes.  Never in the store.  They get first dibs on all things walking in the door.   When they let things leave they are fair game.

8 hours ago, Comicdey said:

Yes.  Never in the store.  They get first dibs on all things walking in the door.   When they let things leave they are fair game.

Agree with this.  

On 2017-07-04 at 2:20 PM, G.A.tor said:
On 2017-07-04 at 2:18 PM, Tbone911t said:

Wonder if the owner fired the clerk...........

Nope. He was there for years. I left in 95 and the clerk still worked there

I was at a small show in Cleveland where a Superman #1 walked up to the booth.

The guy minding the book told the guy that the owner would be back and to come back later. :tonofbricks:

The guy never came back.

I heard about it after he'd walked away. Spent the rest of my day trying to find him. Never did.

Edited by VintageComics

A couple of years I was at an estate sale and came across this box.  Mostly DC between 1959 - 1963.

59626c3b2d246_twodollar.jpg.7622d03af6f96b573bd40c187cc0bbfd.jpg

As I was going through it I found a copy of AF #8.  Then a copy of AF #11.  No AF $15, although I did find this:

59626d0da6512_twodollar2.thumb.jpg.adbf4a2a3613bafdbb74c01845579713.jpg

19 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

A couple of years I was at an estate sale and came across this box.  Mostly DC between 1959 - 1963.

59626c3b2d246_twodollar.jpg.7622d03af6f96b573bd40c187cc0bbfd.jpg

As I was going through it I found a copy of AF #8.  Then a copy of AF #11.  No AF $15, although I did find this:

59626d0da6512_twodollar2.thumb.jpg.adbf4a2a3613bafdbb74c01845579713.jpg

Very nice little score out in the wild.  Love seeing these types of finds turn up.

Not an AF 15, but a Mexican Amazing Spider-man No. 1, dated a few months after the Ameican version hit the stands. Around 25 years ago. Got it from a guy who sold it out of a stack of other comics he had in his basement. In Brooklyn, NY.  

It was about a 7.0. I paid $100. 

4 hours ago, otherworldsj331 said:

Not an AF 15, but a Mexican Amazing Spider-man No. 1, dated a few months after the Ameican version hit the stands. Around 25 years ago. Got it from a guy who sold it out of a stack of other comics he had in his basement. In Brooklyn, NY.  

It was about a 7.0. I paid $100. 

I'd like to see a pic of that.  Do you still have it?

Last year I was looking at a guys DD collection that started at #4.  After going thru the run there were some coverless books in the back of the box.  I laughed when I saw them.  I asked the seller if he knew what they were.  He responded that he had no clue, that his older brother gave them to him 40 years ago.  They Were Spidey 1 and AF 15.  I paid him more for those to coverless books than for the low-mid grade Daredevils.

8 hours ago, Moondog said:

Last year I was looking at a guys DD collection that started at #4.  After going thru the run there were some coverless books in the back of the box.  I laughed when I saw them.  I asked the seller if he knew what they were.  He responded that he had no clue, that his older brother gave them to him 40 years ago.  They Were Spidey 1 and AF 15.  I paid him more for those to coverless books than for the low-mid grade Daredevils.

I'll bet you made him a happy camper too, since he didn't even know they were there.  That's like found money for him.

12 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I'd like to see a pic of that.  Do you still have it?

I sold it about 7 years ago.

It was about 1/4 inch wider than the American copies. Which meant it had a little more art to the right side of the cover. I am guessing that the Mexican artists, or whoever, added that art. I doubt Marvel cropped the art from Kirby's original pencils and Ditko's inks on.

Still, they needed to add it, because if they didn't the right side portion of the cover that was that 1/4 of an inch wider would have been blank space otherwise.

Edited by otherworldsj331

I found a lady on eBay selling a set of Spideys. I won the bid and I see her location was about 5-10 miles away from me so I messaged her to see if she'd let me pick up the set. I picked up the books, she told me that the set was from her Dad's collection and she was in the middle of clearing his house, I gave her my number in hopes that she'd find more.

She texted me about a week later telling me she has AF15, ASM1-14. She gave me prices and I went to collect a day later.

This is all in the United Kingdom by the way :)

On 5 July 2017 at 3:00 PM, Moondog said:

I have purchased over 30 copies in my 40+ years of dealing.  It's pretty common, but I admit that they don't turn up as often anymore.

Iv owned over 10-11 copies before but as one boardie said,they don't show up as often anymore.. Still have multiple copies and glad I put them away.