• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many AF15s have you found in the wild?
2 2

74 posts in this topic

I have probably owned about 10 AF15s in my life.  And yes, I wish I had them all back (I luckily have held onto 3).

A couple I purchased here on the boards, one I bought through a collector friend I knew in Atlanta, but most I bought through ebay.

Only 1 time in all my years collecting have I found one in the wild.  That was 2 years ago when my daughter called me and said a friend of hers thought he had a valuable comic.  I didn't think much of it until I showed up and had my eyes pop out at a very nice looking mid-grade Af15.  His uncle had died and when they were cleaning out his house he saw a box with comics and recognized the cover on the AF15, so that was the ONLY comic he saved from the box (I wonder what else was in there).  He ended up selling it to me.  It turned out to be a 4.0 so I'm pretty happy.

Anyway.... I was wondering how many of you Silver Age collectors have had the experience of finding a copy of AF15 in the wild.  

Are there any old timers here that actually bought one off the rack back in the day?

Six or seven years ago I bought a TOS 58 and the guy sent 59 instead. We got to talking and it turned out that he lived on farmland outside of my city, so I went out there to exchange it and look at some other comics he had bought off the rack. Walked into his kitchen, and the first book I saw was an AF 15 with a $1000 price tag on it. The second book I saw was a TOS 39, then a JIM 83, then...well, it didn't much matter after that. 

I walked out a happy man. Still have the AF 15, it's a 3.0 or so. 

Our LCS had one on the wall about 10 years ago.

Sat there for a week or two before someone shelled out about $4500 for it.

I think it was like a VG+ or a VG/F or something along those lines.

Great looking copy though. It was very pretty for the grade.

On Sept 11 2001 I walked into a LCS and the dealer had an AF15, an ASM1, and a FF1 that had just come into the shop the day before... all in super low grade (all maybe 1.0s).  But he also had the TV on.  That was the first time I watched the towers fall was in that LCS.  I was so distraught that I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on those comics.  

What a weird day.

My first copy was purchase with a long box of ASM 1-300 at auction.  Paid the equivalent of $3/book for the entire collection and that copy ended up as a 1.8 blue label.  The second copy I found was from a store that priced it at 1/2 value and that copy ended up being a 2.5. My current copy was a trade and cash deal from a board member years ago and was slabbed 3.0 when I got it ?

Edited by Comicdey

I never had a copy of AF 15 but had 3 opportunities to get one in the late 1980's early 1990's.

1st time as at my then-regular shop, it was on the wall for $180. I'm looking at the book, it was waterlogged and stained really bad and when I touched the cover, the color was coming off on my fingers - pass.

2nd time (90 or 91) I was selling books at a flea market, guy said he had AF 15 and ASM #1, wanted $300 each. Got his number, went to his house after. Both books aside from being very low grade has someone's name written in pen on the cover and every page of the book AND covered in white out - pass.  Bought X-Men #1 in VG for $300 instead

3rd time (92 or 93) I was selling at a small show (counts as "in the wild" for back then), one dealer had a nice VG+ to VG/FN copy for $850. I was having a great day and could swing it, thought it over for a half hour, went over to his both - already sold

I will never own a copy, I have accepted this fact

Edited by Lonzilla

I bought my 3.0 AF15 at a garage sale in Wichita, Kansas, in 1971 for 25 cents.  Now that's in the wild!  It has increased somewhat in value.

At the time, a callow youth of 15, I actually didn't know of the significance of the book -- it just looked like a cool cover of a weird new super-hero.  It wasn't till a year or two later that I figured it all out, and have assembled my collection around that comic for the last 45 years.