• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many AF15s have you found in the wild?
2 2

74 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, tricolorbrian said:

That is just INSANE!   I remember 20 years ago when every dealer at SDCC had multiple copies on their walls...Metro always had about 10 of them...

What did $150 "feel" like back then.  Did you feel like you were way overspending?

22 minutes ago, ivrimark said:

I bought my 3.0 AF15 at a garage sale in Wichita, Kansas, in 1971 for 25 cents.  Now that's in the wild!  It has increased somewhat in value.

At the time, a callow youth of 15, I actually didn't know of the significance of the book -- it just looked like a cool cover of a weird new super-hero.  It wasn't till a year or two later that I figured it all out, and have assembled my collection around that comic for the last 45 years.

What else did you get at that garage sale?

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

What did $150 "feel" like back then.  Did you feel like you were way overspending?

Well, I talked them down from $175...so I felt like I got a deal, but that was the most I ever spent on a comic back then, so it hurt a little.  Back then we still didn't see the future very clearly, or i would have bought a high grade copy for $400...

In 62 my dad cleaned windows for his father's business. He would work in an area called North Ormesby in Middlesbrough near the docks.

He would go into a newsagents there for drinks or whatever but mainly because he took a liking to the young ginger haired girl who worked there.

There was a particular comic hung up by a peg to a length of string that he kept noticing everyone he went in. At this point he would read British comics and American reprints and swap them with his friends.

Eventually he bought it, it was AF15 of course. It was the first super hero Marvel he bought and for some reason didn't swap it out throw it away.

No he didn't get the girl.:smirk:

He sold it in 1980 when my parents split up so I didn't even get to see it>:(

7 hours ago, nmtg9 said:

In 62 my dad cleaned windows for his father's business. He would work in an area called North Ormesby in Middlesbrough near the docks.

He would go into a newsagents there for drinks or whatever but mainly because he took a liking to the young ginger haired girl who worked there.

There was a particular comic hung up by a peg to a length of string that he kept noticing everyone he went in. At this point he would read British comics and American reprints and swap them with his friends.

Eventually he bought it, it was AF15 of course. It was the first super hero Marvel he bought and for some reason didn't swap it out throw it away.

No he didn't get the girl.:smirk:

He sold it in 1980 when my parents split up so I didn't even get to see it>:(

An Af15 7.0 pence copy is the jewel of my collection.

Edited by gadzukes

I have never found one in the wild not even at a LCS. I asked some around me if they ever had one for sale and 1 store said yes but they only had 1 copy in the almost 30 years they had been in business. I remember as a kid going to local cons and they had the book and I wanted it then but those were very high grade copies for like $1,500 to $2,000. Where is my delorean? 

TY! Rules were simple for me

1. Good Color

2. Good PQ

3. Cant have MC.

Small piece out of bottom corner but that was normal wear. Wasnt a huge fan of the Collection tag on it, but it grew on me over time (someone loved this book and wanted to tag it as their collection, i get that lol). I was really thinking i would get WP on it also, but meh it is what it is.

22 hours ago, gadzukes said:

An Af15 7.0 pence copy is the jewel of my collection.

I remember that copy being for sale. It's the one signed by Stan back in 1974 isn't it? 

A beautiful example and probably the best pence copy there is.

11 hours ago, nmtg9 said:

I remember that copy being for sale. It's the one signed by Stan back in 1974 isn't it? 

A beautiful example and probably the best pence copy there is.

Yes & Yes.  It feels good to have the highest graded copy of a mega key even if it's just a Pence copy.

I've owned several over the years, many bought from dealers, ranging from 4.0 to the highest being a 7.0 (I wish I had that one back!)

In terms of raw out in the wild, I've probably bought over a dozen over the years.  I owned four last year, so maybe the number is even higher.  Two from the same store, one from a store in the northeast, and another locally.  None were that high grade ranging from 2.5 to 4.0.  In fact I don't think any I've found from a store or otherwise was ever better than a 5.0 -- they're fun to find and always exciting to own.  

In the early 90s a fellow walked into the local comic store I frequented in Pembroke Pines Fl with a red tool box. Inside that tool box was an AF15 and spidey 1-15. He approached the clerk about selling, and was told "only the owner " could make offer on those type books. Fellow left store and I of course followed. Asked how much he wanted for the spidey books, got a price, asked if he minded following me to the bank and the deal was done. Guy kept the tool box though, wouldn't make it part of a multi thousand $ deal !

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

In the early 90s a fellow walked into the local comic store I frequented in Pembroke Pines Fl with a red tool box. Inside that tool box was an AF15 and spidey 1-15. He approached the clerk about selling, and was told "only the owner " could make offer on those type books. Fellow left store and I of course followed. Asked how much he wanted for the spidey books, got a price, asked if he minded following me to the bank and the deal was done. Guy kept the tool box though, wouldn't make it part of a multi thousand $ deal !

Wonder if the owner fired the clerk...........

6 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Great story of being in the right place at the right time :golfclap:

Not quite in the wild, but I discovered these boards in 2008 when I fell for an AF15 eBay scam where they put a nice repro cover on a coverless copy. I think I paid about $600 for it, which at the time was a rip but I really wish I had held onto it, I'm sure that's a great deal today.

12 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

A buddy of mine told me he did a similar thing..... was hanging out at the LCS and someone came in and said they had some old comics in the car.  For some reason the clerk didn't show interest so my buddy followed them out to the parking lot and asked if he could see the comics.  He saw some GA Submariners in the 1st box he looked in.  He bought the comics right there in the parking lot of the LCS.

How many of you have followed someone out of the LCS to make a deal for some comics?