• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many AF15s have you found in the wild?
2 2

74 posts in this topic

On 6/24/2017 at 8:37 AM, gadzukes said:

I have probably owned about 10 AF15s in my life.  And yes, I wish I had them all back (I luckily have held onto 3).

A couple I purchased here on the boards, one I bought through a collector friend I knew in Atlanta, but most I bought through ebay.

Only 1 time in all my years collecting have I found one in the wild.  That was 2 years ago when my daughter called me and said a friend of hers thought he had a valuable comic.  I didn't think much of it until I showed up and had my eyes pop out at a very nice looking mid-grade Af15.  His uncle had died and when they were cleaning out his house he saw a box with comics and recognized the cover on the AF15, so that was the ONLY comic he saved from the box (I wonder what else was in there).  He ended up selling it to me.  It turned out to be a 4.0 so I'm pretty happy.

Anyway.... I was wondering how many of you Silver Age collectors have had the experience of finding a copy of AF15 in the wild.  

Are there any old timers here that actually bought one off the rack back in the day?

I guess I'm an "old timer". Earliest Spidey I bought off the racks was a #4. I was buying DC war, Batman and a few others before that. Something about the Spiderman looked "strange". Turned me into a Marvel Zombie.

My brother and I had 2 closets in our room. One for clothes and one for toys, comics ect. Several kids in the neighborhood would keep their collections at my house because my parents were cool and their's wern't. There were probably 3 or 4 copies in those boxes. None of which were mine. I was able to read it many times though. I moved out of the house when I was 17 and my mom prompty "cleaned" out the closet. Makes me sick today...

About 25 years ago I did get one at a garage sale with a pile of other SA. There was also an X-Men #1 and small runs of those and other titles. I think I paid around $20. for the box. Sadly, they are long gone now. Sold to partially pay for college for my older daughter. A good investment...

I have a friend that has found two. One estate sale and one flea market. Not a rare book but one that makes you gasp a little when it turns up suddenly.

I found mine in a box of comics in a school bus in a wrecking yard in Santa Fe in 1967. Other notables in that box were a bunch of X men, an Avengers 4, an ASM 14 and a bunch of strange tales. Remarkably the AF15 was in very nice shape and slabbed out as a 5.0 after being cleaned up. The Avengers 7 was in far better shape as was an ASM 16. Most were kind of ratty but there must have been 50 books. The yard owner knew I liked comics and said to just take them. 

On 7/20/2017 at 3:04 PM, Robot Man said:

I guess I'm an "old timer". Earliest Spidey I bought off the racks was a #4. I was buying DC war, Batman and a few others before that. Something about the Spiderman looked "strange". Turned me into a Marvel Zombie.

My brother and I had 2 closets in our room. One for clothes and one for toys, comics ect. Several kids in the neighborhood would keep their collections at my house because my parents were cool and their's wern't. There were probably 3 or 4 copies in those boxes. None of which were mine. I was able to read it many times though. I moved out of the house when I was 17 and my mom prompty "cleaned" out the closet. Makes me sick today...

My mom did that too in the latter 1950's. It's why all these books are so valuable today. 

I don't think I have ever held an AF 15 in my hands let alone found/bought one. I think there was one on the wall in the LCS in my hometown back in 1978 but I wasn't that much interested in Spider-Man. Read the stories through Origins and the pocket books/treasuries. That was enough for me I suppose.

Some books I have come to grips with never owning. They are simply too expensive.

Edited by 01TheDude

11 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I don't think I have ever held an AF 15 in my hands let alone found/bought one. I think there was one on the wall in the LCS in my hometown back in 1978 but I wasn't that much interested in Spider-Man. Read the stories through Origins and the pocket books/treasuries. That was enough for me I suppose.

Some books I have come to grips with never owning. They are simply too expensive.

Most people could own one if they really wanted to. Just save up your money. They are VERY common. Now Action 1 or Tec 27, that is a different story. 

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:
13 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Most people could own one if they really wanted to. Just save up your money. They are VERY common. Now Action 1 or Tec 27, that is a different story. 

I have other needs that are much more important than owning a comic book this expensive. It is not something that bothers me at all. Like I said-- not much of a Spider-man fan in the first place. I'm more of a "collect what you like that is reasonably in your budget" type of collector and this simply is not lining up with it. My main point was about never even holding a copy in my hands. I can say that about a lot of keys honestly. If money were not a problem, I would rather that money be spent on a nice JIM 83 or a DD 1 than an AF 15.

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I think it might take a while to save up the required $400k for the Action 1 or Tec 27.  House payments come first!

Edited by piper

9 hours ago, piper said:

I think it might take a while to save up the required $400k for the Action 1 or Tec 27.  House payments come first!

Never had either of those two but many years ago I had many of the other big GA keys. Off they went when I bought my first house. As much as it hurt at the time, it was the right thing to do.

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Never had either of those two but many years ago I had many of the other big GA keys. Off they went when I bought my first house. As much as it hurt at the time, it was the right thing to do.

A GA key won't keep the rain off your head. I'm pretty sure that purchasing real estate in Southern California was the right move.

That said owning an AA16, MF52, or Adv 40 would be pretty cool! ?

20 hours ago, piper said:

A GA key won't keep the rain off your head. I'm pretty sure that purchasing real estate in Southern California was the right move.

That said owning an AA16, MF52, or Adv 40 would be pretty cool! ?

Yeah, I've done well with the real estate but the comics would have been worth so much more. I never had AA16 or Adv 40. I did have a MF 52 and 53 Dang, I loved those books. I figure they are maybe a bedrooms worth now. I miss my Cap 1 too. The rest mostly DC's as much as I would like to have them, really don't care that much any more. Pretty much all my Marvel keys except my Hulk 1 went to my kids college educations. Also a worthy cause. I did, for some reason, keep most of my SA DC keys. 

I was buying books from a collector in AL. Started off with runs of DCs - Adventure Comics, early Mystery in Space, fun stuff.  After buying a few lots from him, he offered up some Marvels, AF 15, Spidey 1-10 and X-Men 1-15.  I believe I paid $1,100 for the lot (plus shipping) :grin: . All of the Spideys had lick-stamps of some kind put over the comic code authority seal, and had been rather roughly pulled off.  They came in at lower grades ranging from 1.8 to 3.5 depending on the severity of the cover damage.  The AF 15 came in at 1.8. Otherwise a solid VG.  Alas, I fell prey to the $$$, thinking I'd come across another nicer copy . . . :frown: