• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beware the TSA when traveling with your books on flights
1 1

36 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, kav said:

This lady would have gotten a supervisor.

Screenshot 2019-03-02 at 6.30.14 PM.png

Damn it, Karen. 

There has to be some method to escalate this situation without getting in trouble (akin to yelling fire in a movie theater) -- something like "SUPERVISOR PLEASE!" said loudly enough that the supervisor actually hears you.

If I had something that valuable in my possession while traveling, I would check into this for sure.

The one thing non-collector people don't seem to get is that once you have ruined something like this, there is very little chance of fixing it.

8 hours ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

What was the book? 

Transformers: ReGeneration One #100 signed by Most G1 Voice actors and most G1 comic book artists and writers. It may not be worth more than both of our lives put together, but I did say that to the agent and to me, the time, money, and effort I have spent taking that comic across the country to get signatures is worth that much to me.

3 hours ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

:roflmao:I demand to speak to a supervisor... or a nerd! 

I didn't know what else to say. Funny thing is, I told this story to an Ex- TSA employee. Someone who was higher up the food chain then the agents who rifle through your possessions. He advised me that I next time I should ask for a privet screening room and the Port Authority to be present. He also told me I could also file a claim if anything bad happens to my property. I asked him how many of those claim ever payout and how do you put a price on a signed comic book like mine. He just shrugged.

2 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

There has to be some method to escalate this situation without getting in trouble (akin to yelling fire in a movie theater) -- something like "SUPERVISOR PLEASE!" said loudly enough that the supervisor actually hears you.

If I had something that valuable in my possession while traveling, I would check into this for sure.

The one thing non-collector people don't seem to get is that once you have ruined something like this, there is very little chance of fixing it.

See my above answer. I hadn't had anything like this happen to me before so I wasn't a bit caught off guard and angry by what was happening and already had happened. Experience and talking it out I am more prepared should this kind of thing happen again. I am more than happy to miss a flight just to keep my collectibles from damaged by these clowns. 

I started encountering this issue about two years ago while flying out of a small airport to shows fairly routinely. I’d carry a cardboard box about 5 inches deep that was packed with books. It did get searched, gently, by a TSA agent who was fortunately a former comic reader who appreciated their fragility. He recommended declaring them and removing the box to place in the bin separately like I would a laptop, and I haven’t had a problem since. 

8 hours ago, mysterio said:

I started encountering this issue about two years ago while flying out of a small airport to shows fairly routinely. I’d carry a cardboard box about 5 inches deep that was packed with books. It did get searched, gently, by a TSA agent who was fortunately a former comic reader who appreciated their fragility. He recommended declaring them and removing the box to place in the bin separately like I would a laptop, and I haven’t had a problem since. 

I will happily take your recommendation and give it a shot. Can't hurt. Thank you.

1 minute ago, Yoshi said:

I will happily take your recommendation and give it a shot. Can't hurt. Thank you.

No worries! As with anything, letting them know upfront generally saves you problems on the other end of the conveyer belt. Otherwise they just see some dense cube in your bag and then have to investigate. Once I started putting them into the bin separately they haven't given them a second look.

4 minutes ago, mysterio said:

No worries! As with anything, letting them know upfront generally saves you problems on the other end of the conveyer belt. Otherwise they just see some dense cube in your bag and then have to investigate. Once I started putting them into the bin separately they haven't given them a second look.

Does this mean there are loose books rattling around in the bin?

17 hours ago, kav said:

Does this mean there are loose books rattling around in the bin?

No. I opened the flaps of the box and showed the person assisting the x-ray operator what was in the box, then left all the books in the box. I'm guessing that seeing the comics up top, and then the uniformity of the rest of the box, is enough to demonstrate that it is all harmless comics in that box.

On 3/3/2019 at 2:25 PM, Yoshi said:

You should post a video about it and get it out to your 2 subscribers.  Information is key.

I think I have comics with me every time I travel on a plane, at least 10 flights a year? No one has ever opened my suitcase, they just use the xray machine. Now walking through the scanner is a different story. Do you know that if you use hand cleaner before going through, it sets off the gun powder detector? 

Based on all these posts I think I would like to open a business where I stop by people's houses and pick up their books before they take off on trips and drive the books to the destination while the owner flies. :idea:

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I think I have comics with me every time I travel on a plane, at least 10 flights a year? No one has ever opened my suitcase, they just use the xray machine. Now walking through the scanner is a different story. Do you know that if you use hand cleaner before going through, it sets off the gun powder detector? 

I need to tell my wife this.