• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Obtainable GA you haven't bought yet
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Ok, this idea is inspired by the flying under the radar thread, except it's for the books that are hiding in plain sight.

Name the books that seem to you be fairly often available/obtainable, even affordable in decent grade, perhaps even have a point of minor historic significance, yet you have not pulled the trigger on them. I think there's a fair amount of cool GA that fits the bill, so I'll start.

How about Shield-Wizard #1, most anything with Doll Man or Kid Eternity, Bulletman 7 (very early supervillain team)?

Anything come to mind for you?

Yellowjacket Comics 7. This book hits on a couple of my areas of interest with a giant skull cover and an early horror host. However with 39 copies in the census at 7.0 or better, I don't feel any urgency to pick one up.

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

Ok, this idea is inspired by the flying under the radar thread, except it's for the books that are hiding in plain sight.

Name the books that seem to you be fairly often available/obtainable, even affordable in decent grade, perhaps even have a point of minor historic significance, yet you have not pulled the trigger on them. I think there's a fair amount of cool GA that fits the bill, so I'll start.

How about Shield-Wizard #1, most anything with Doll Man or Kid Eternity, Bulletman 7 (very early supervillain team)?

Anything come to mind for you?

Most Timely & DC.  Like SA Marvels, I'd be better off financiallybuying them, but their availability makes me prioritize other books.  

I just this week finally bought a book that fits this category. I've collected crime books going back 25 years, and in the mid nineties also when through a big L B Cole phase ( though I've since sold most of those off), but for some reason never got around to picking up a copy of Killers #1. Probably in part because I didn't love the cover the way I did both other crime and Cole books, and in part because it never seemed particularly hard to find, so there was no buy it now or regret it push.  I'd even bid on a few copies on ebay over the years, hoping to pick it up cheap, but always got outbid. It also seemed to go up little if any in value over the years, also contributing to a lack of urgency. Finally this week I saw a decent looking copy with some fairly minor resto for sale at a fair starting bid, and thought what the heck, throw down the minimum bid. It ended up being the only bid, I now I have a copy. 

For me, there is a long list of GA Batman's I want to upgrade including:

# 7, 12, 15, 72, 76, 77, 78, 80, 92, 100

I also have some other books I want to add into my collection like:

Human Torch 1

Submariner 1

Daring Mystery 7

Hit 5, 8

Adventure 40, 42, 44, 47, 51, 60

Captain America 17

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

I just this week finally bought a book that fits this category. I've collected crime books going back 25 years, and in the mid nineties also when through a big L B Cole phase ( though I've since sold most of those off), but for some reason never got around to picking up a copy of Killers #1. Probably in part because I didn't love the cover the way I did both other crime and Cole books, and in part because it never seemed particularly hard to find, so there was no buy it now or regret it push.  I'd even bid on a few copies on ebay over the years, hoping to pick it up cheap, but always got outbid. It also seemed to go up little if any in value over the years, also contributing to a lack of urgency. Finally this week I saw a decent looking copy with some fairly minor resto for sale at a fair starting bid, and thought what the heck, throw down the minimum bid. It ended up being the only bid, I now I have a copy. 

I saw that book...nice pick up...

29 minutes ago, tricolorbrian said:

I saw that book...nice pick up...

Thanks. It has three small areas of passable amateur fill and CT, with some glue residue on the inside front cover, and a sealed 1/2 inch spine split and may have been reglossed. It has the appearance of a midgrade copy, and would have been an easy VG without the work done. The kind of book I'm happy to pick up for no more than what an unrestored 2.0 would probably run these days. 

4 hours ago, IngelsFan said:

Yellowjacket Comics 7. This book hits on a couple of my areas of interest with a giant skull cover and an early horror host. However with 39 copies in the census at 7.0 or better, I don't feel any urgency to pick one up.

It's a pretty good guess there were a stash of these found at one point, way too common in higher grade for it to be otherwise.

6 hours ago, rjpb said:

It's a pretty good guess there were a stash of these found at one point, way too common in higher grade for it to be otherwise.

Yes, this and Blue Beetle 41, it seems. But that Yellowjacket is a cool, always available book.

Every time I pass on books such as the ones we are discussing (nice score on Killers btw!) I can't help but think of the books that were much cheaper and offered far more often on eBay about 20 years ago, such as Green Lama, Golden Boy, many Nedor etc titles, cool cover Capt Midnights, etc.

Looking back, it feels to me like the GA floor moved. So now I keep wondering whether I should just pile up Doll Man and Kid Eternity (for example) because they really won't be offered as often and as cheaply in 10 years hm

But I could make the argument either way (shrug)

17 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Yes, this and Blue Beetle 41, it seems. But that Yellowjacket is a cool, always available book.

Every time I pass on books such as the ones we are discussing (nice score on Killers btw!) I can't help but think of the books that were much cheaper and offered far more often on eBay about 20 years ago, such as Green Lama, Golden Boy, many Nedor etc titles, cool cover Capt Midnights, etc.

Looking back, it feels to me like the GA floor moved. So now I keep wondering whether I should just pile up Doll Man and Kid Eternity (for example) because they really won't be offered as often and as cheaply in 10 years hm

But I could make the argument either way (shrug)

The floor has definitely raised on a lot of GA. You can't find much in the way of war cover superhero books for under $100 in GD anymore, and for some publishers it's much more than that for any WW2  cover. 

55 minutes ago, rjpb said:

The floor has definitely raised on a lot of GA. You can't find much in the way of war cover superhero books for under $100 in GD anymore, and for some publishers it's much more than that for any WW2  cover. 

Agreed and that's what I'm shopping for most of the time so i follow em pretty closely

On 6/25/2017 at 8:51 PM, rjpb said:

Great snag btw!!