• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

what is the effect on grade...

3 posts in this topic

...of a crossed out barcode as seen in this X-Men issue below. 

I have some nice comics and wondered how much impact the crossed out barcode has on cgc grading. Can anyone venture a guess or even better, an informed opinion?

DDM_RXXXsAETVXG.jpg

None, those are done at the printer.  This is an early direct market book that wasn't returnable & they differentiated them as direct and non-returnable by crossing out the "newsstand UPC" - I don't know if they had the diamond "whitman" corner & the traditional corner sorted out consistently for a period of time.
  You'll see a lot of ASM 194's & I think they go as late as X-men 129 with this slash also...I think all the "direct UPC" formatting & all that got hammered out prior to the first direct only book, Dazzler 1 which came out shortly after her first appearance in X-men 130, (edit) - now that I think of it I think I've seen some later books with slashes too.  (X-men 137 comes to mind)

Edited by bababooey