• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED: GA/SA High Grade and Pedigrees
9 9

306 posts in this topic

***SOLD***

Young Men 9 Palo Alto:  This is another title that changed direction on a whim with this issue containing a mix of crime and real life adventure tales, including a nascent outing by Gene Colan.  To demonstrate how early on this book was graded the label notes that there is a slight transfer stain and a slight miscut, notations they no longer place on the label after getting complaints that it confused buyers and was evident by looking at the book. Census:  sole highest.  This red cover :cloud9: really pops on this copy.  Old label CGC 9.2 cr/ow for $450.

Cert of Auth will be shipped with the comic.

YoungMen9.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

58 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

The PAs have nice colors and pages and I'm a little surprised to this and the next comic get cr/ow.  CGC was sometimes harder on rating pq in their early days so perhaps that was the reason or perhaps they are cr/ow.

guaranteed to get a pq upgrade on resub.

great books, i'm glad you mentioned this thread in a regular forum otherwise i would never have known to check it out.

i'd normally be intrigued by some of the books you've posted here, but unfortunately i'm tapped out for the same reason that you are, so my admiration can only be platonic. :sorry:

***SOLD***

Star Spangled 128:    With the collapse of the superhero market, DC re-positioned Star Spangled to take advantage of the recent interest in pre-code horror.  They created a new character, Dr. 13, to investigate ghostly and unexplained events and put the art in the capable hands of Leornard Starr.  Prior to originating the syndicated strip Mary Worth, Starr honed his craft and delivered sophisticated illustration style comic art for different DC interior stories.  Dr. 13 Ghostbreaker was his first chance to take center stage and he delivered the covers and lead stories until the series ended at issue 130.  I don't know whether the art resonated with the typical young reader but there's much to admire and it's no surprise that he would be a successful artist for the more adult oriented fare of Mary Worth. 

For those that like their comics with boys in tights superheroes, there's a Robin story with him facing off against a low-rent Two Face.

Census:  1 in 9.6 and 1 in 9.0.  Despite being a black cover it has minimal wear with the main defect a small scuff near the top of the spine.  Flat, tight with ow/w pages this VF/NM copy looks like a pedigree and is yours for $500.

StarSpangled128.jpg

StarSpangled128p1.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

11 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Star Spangled 128:    With the collapse of the superhero market, DC re-positioned Star Spangled to take advantage of the recent interest in pre-code horror.  They created a new character, Dr. 13, to investigate ghostly and unexplained events and put the art in the capable hands of Leornard Starr.  Prior to originating the syndicated strip Mary Worth, Starr honed his craft and delivered sophisticated illustration style comic art for different DC interior stories.  Dr. 13 Ghostbreaker was his first chance to take center stage and he delivered the covers and lead stories until the series ended at issue 130.  I don't know whether the art resonated with the typical young reader but there's much to admire and it's no surprise that he would be a successful artist for the more adult oriented fare of Mary Worth. 

For those that like their comics with boys in tights superheroes, there's a Robin story with him facing off against a low-rent Two Face.

Census:  1 in 9.6 and 1 in 9.0.  Despite being a black cover it has minimal wear with the main defect a small scuff near the top of the spine.  Flat, tight with ow/w pages this VF/NM copy looks like a pedigree and is yours for $500.

StarSpangled128.jpg

StarSpangled128p1.jpg

take it

***SOLD***

Terrors of the Jungle:  I think most people interested will be aware of LB Cole, one of the premier comic cover artists.  Fun fact:  he used his daughter as the model for young lady in the leopard skin bikini.  This copy's cover has bright, glossy colors and appeal that is largely unaffected by a variety minor structural defects.  Census:  2 in 9.4, 1 in 8.0 and 3 in 7.5.  F/VF with ow/w pages for $350.

TOTJ21.jpg

Edited by adamstrange

12 minutes ago, Comcav said:

take it

Thanks for Star Spangled 128

13 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

Terrors of the Jungle:  I think most people interested will be aware of LB Cole, one of the premier comic cover artists.  Fun fact:  he used his daughter as the model for young lady in the leopard skin bikini.  This copy's cover has bright, glossy colors and appeal that is largely unaffected by a variety minor structural defects.  Census:  2 in 9.4, 1 in 8.0 and 3 in 7.5.  F/VF with ow/w pages for $350.

TOTJ21.jpg

take it

Just now, Comcav said:

take it

Thanks for TOTJ 21.

That's it for tonight.  There will be a few more tomorrow.

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

***SOLD***

StarSpangled128.jpg

StarSpangled128p1.jpg

Leonard Starr did Mary Perkins on Stage, not Mary Worth.

7 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Young Men 9 Palo Alto:  This is another title that changed direction on a whim with this issue containing a mix of crime and real life adventure tales, including a nascent outing by Gene Colan.  To demonstrate how early on this book was graded the label notes that there is a slight transfer stain and a slight miscut, notations they no longer place on the label after getting complaints that it confused buyers and was evident by looking at the book. Census:  sole highest.  This red cover :cloud9: really pops on this copy.  Old label CGC 9.2 cr/ow for $450.

Cert of Auth will be shipped with the comic.

YoungMen9.jpg

:takeit:

5 hours ago, adamstrange said:

***SOLD***

StarSpangled128.jpg

StarSpangled128p1.jpg

Absolutely beautiful.

9 hours ago, comicnoir said:

Leonard Starr did Mary Perkins on Stage, not Mary Worth.

Thanks for catching that.  :blush:

In the listing I included a pun about Starr getting "center stage" but was typing late at night and missed the set up.

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

:takeit:

Thanks for the Young Men 9.

23 hours ago, adamstrange said:

Star Spangled War Stories 31 Salida Copy:  The Salida collection was small, under a 1000 books, with a heavy focus on war comics.  The OO wanted to serve in the military but was deaf and therefore rejected.  The war comics were his way of staying connected with that dream and, evidenced by this copy, he read and appreciated them.  At least I've got to believe he appreciated the Heath because it's killer.

Census:  1 in 5.5  VF copy with the usual superlative cover colors and pages for $800.

SSWS31new.jpg

SSWS31p1.jpg

:takeit: per PM

2 minutes ago, comick1 said:

:takeit: per PM

Thanks for the SSWS 31!

Amazing Adv 4 White Mountain:  The WM run of Amazing Adv and Amazing Adult Fantasy was sold through Sothebys as part of the same auction that offered the WM copy of Amazing Fantasy 15. The winner of the two titles was the very disappointed under-bidder of the AF 15 and, as a result, later sold the set.  This WM AA4 is the kind of copy that disappoints me when I see it in a slab as the plastic diminishes the pleasure of viewing such a pretty book.  That is why it was de-slabbed after I bought it enabling the next owner to see it in its natural state.  Census:  1 in 9.0 and 2 in 8.5.  De-slabbed CGC 8.5 white for $2400.

Label will be shipped with the comic.  Scan line down the center of the book is a scanner artifact.

AmazingAdventure4.jpg

Edited by adamstrange