• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED: GA/SA High Grade and Pedigrees
9 9

306 posts in this topic

On 7/4/2017 at 6:35 PM, adamstrange said:

***SOLD***

World's Finest 61:   Confirming the scarcity of this title is this issue where there is only one copy fine or better.  Census:  sole highest.  CGC 6.5 ow/w $700.

WF61.jpg

Sold via PM

On 6/28/2017 at 10:25 PM, adamstrange said:

***SOLD***

Tales of Suspense 12 White Mountain:  If you like prehero Marvels, WMs are the premier pedigree exhibiting gloss, color and pages better than any other I've seen.  When the WMs were offered for the first time it was Bob Overstreet who got to pick first and he made sure that several handfuls of prehero Marvels ended up in his stack.  Census:  1 in 9.2 and 4 in 9.0. 

Label will be provided along with the book. The line down the center of the book is a scanner artifact.

I have no idea how Stan Lee got "Gore Kill" past the Comics Code censors but he never tried a name like that again.

TOS12.jpg

Sold via PM

On 7/8/2017 at 7:48 PM, Comcav said:

I'll take it for $900.   Sqeggs made me do it.

Thanks for taking the Target!

On 7/3/2017 at 1:48 AM, adamstrange said:

***SOLD***

Star Spangled War Stories 24 Salida Copy:   I've already described most of the exceptional qualities of the Salida copies with the exception of smell.  Back in the old days when dinosaurs ruled the earth and there no slabs, experienced collectors smelled the pages of books.  That was done for a variety of reasons including identifying pedigree, detecting restoration but usually to understand the freshness of the copies.  As the cheap comic book paper ages it will generate a slightly acrid smell that gets worse the greater the deterioration.  The Salida copies, alone of all the 50s comics and pedigrees, have no smell.

The best part of the art for this book is the story by Jerry Grandenetti, more well known that Richard Doxsee, but it's a closer race than it should be.  Grandenetti started out as an assistant for Will Eisner but caught at DC working mainly on the war comics.  He eventually developed a very interesting style at DC of which this story is a good example.  His later work Warren and DC in the 70s was a bit over the top for my taste, though always interesting.  Census:  tied for highest with one other copy.  Old Label CGC 8.5 white pages for $800.

Label will be shipped with the comic.

SSWS24.jpg

Sold via PM

Edited by adamstrange

On 7/3/2017 at 11:44 PM, adamstrange said:

***SOLD***

All American Men of War 12:  Not a pedigree, just a regular nice copy of a DC war book that is more reasonably priced than the Salidas posted previously. This is still very fresh with ow/w pages and inside is Russ Heath doing his usual level best.  There's a good chance Russ will go to San Diego Con so if you will attend I'd suggest making it a priority to drop by.  Although a little hard of hearing, he's a feisty, funny character and one of the few GA greats that meets with the public.  And if you want something signed by him, this would fit the bill.  Census:  1 in 9.0.   VF/NM ow/w for $475.

AAMOW12.jpg

Sold via PM

Thanks to all who participated; this thread is officially closed.

Everyone should have their invoice/payment plan.  If not or if there is something incorrect, please send me a PM.