• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Poll: Help me choose a classic cover to have recreated
2 2

Which cover should I have recreated?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which cover should I have recreated?

• Action Comics #44
    • All Winners #4
    • All Winners #6
    • Batman #15
    • Fighting Yank #7
    • National Comics #26
    • Superman #14
    • Superman #17
    • USA Comics #7 (a bit busy)
    • WDCS v2 #10 (22)
    • Wonder Comics #6
    • Other

43 posts in this topic

Hi my Golden brethren,

I'm looking into having a classic cover recreated by Bruce McCorkindale, whose work can be seen below:

http://classiccoverrecreations.tumblr.com/archive

I'm leaning towards a classic Golden Age cover, and have narrowed it down some. Most but not all have a patriotic theme, some war bonds, some just because I like them.

I haven't included many of Schomburg's more "busy" covers (which I love) because I'm afraid they wouldn't translate great into black and white.

It will be hung in a prominent spot in the house, so one caveat from my fiancee (I know, where's my cojones, right?) is no racist caricatures and no overly prominent swastikas or images of Hitler (Superman 17 is included though.)

Please feel free to choose the "other" option, but please post an image of your suggestion. 

Edited by Foley

2 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

All of your choices are great.  

Here's another without caricatures that might be a worthy candidate for a B&W cover recreation.  

It's an action packed Lou Fine National that's a very impressive Uncle Sam cover ...

Thanks Cat-Man, that is a great choice, and would look well in black and white IMO.

@G.A.tor @Sqeggs @Gotham Kid @Robot Man @thehumantorch @Artboy99 @batman_fan @Larryw7 @comicjack @lou_fine @ThothAmon @Bronty @skypinkblu @1950's war comics @atomic1950s @oakman29 @DavidTheDavid I'd love your opinions as well (worship)

I know I'm forgetting more than a few, so please don't take it as a slight if your name was omitted.

Thanks Guys

How important is the family friendly aspect?   A lot of these all either have guns and/or hitler as mentioned.      

And... do you or the fiance care about the American patriotic angle, as I see a lot of the others have big American symbols (flags, etc) and I see you're in Ireland?

Would a Union Jack be better or worse?  There are a few UJ covers like America's Best Comics 10.

If trying to keep it family friendly you could go with some of the non-war, less violent Fox covers like Fantastic 3 or Wonderworld 8. 

If I were picking solely from the list I'd probably go with the WDCS or Supes 14 if keeping it family friendly, and if less concerned about that, probably USA 7 or Batman 15.    I like the All Winners 4 a lot, but its a little too charged to look at every day if family is even a slight concern.

americas-best-comics-10-july-1944-world-

Edited by Bronty

4 minutes ago, Bronty said:

How important is the family friendly aspect?   A lot of these all either have guns and/or hitler as mentioned.      

And... do you or the fiance care about the American patriotic angle, as I see a lot of the others have big American symbols (flags, etc) and I see you're in Ireland?

Would a Union Jack be better or worse?  There are a few UJ covers like America's Best Comics 10.

If trying to keep it family friendly you could go with some of the non-war, less violent Fox covers like Fantastic 3 or Wonderworld 8. 

If I were picking solely from the list I'd probably go with the WDCS or Supes 14 if keeping it family friendly, and if less concerned about that, probably USA 7 or Batman 15.    I like the All Winners 4 a lot, but its a little too charged to look at every day if family is even a slight concern.

Thanks for the reply Bronty, I actually had America's Best 10 in mind, but it went by the wayside when I attempted to narrow down my list.

They don't have to family friendly per se. We don't have children and the guns and mentions of Hitler are OK. She was more averse to some of the portrayals of Japanese with fangs etc. (I snuck in Supes 17 and All Winners 6)

The American patriotic angle is very important for me. I'm an expat and moved to Ireland about 4 years ago to be with the fiancee, who's Irish. The UJ is fine with me, and I like the way all the allies are represented on the America's Best 10. It may have to go back into the running.

Thanks again for the thoughtful opinion and suggestions, I really appreciate it!

1 hour ago, Foley said:

@G.A.tor @Sqeggs @Gotham Kid @Robot Man @thehumantorch @Artboy99 @batman_fan @Larryw7 @comicjack @lou_fine @ThothAmon @Bronty @skypinkblu @1950's war comics @atomic1950s @oakman29 @DavidTheDavid I'd love your opinions as well (worship)

I know I'm forgetting more than a few, so please don't take it as a slight if your name was omitted.

Thanks Guys

One of my favorites.

lf-46_zps268974d3.jpeg

Well, since you asked, it looks like my choices have not really changed from when CBM asked collectors to list their Top 5 covers.

Besides the Superman 14 which is believe is a fantastic choice, I would also go with either Punch 12 or All-American 61 with the dark and moody Solomon Grundy cover.  :cloud9:

Since Sqeggs picked a few of the Captain marvel Jr. covers, the one that I would go for would be the classic V for Victory cover from Master Comics 27.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

14 hours ago, Foley said:

Hi my Golden brethren,

I'm looking into having a classic cover recreated by Bruce McCorkindale, whose work can be seen below:

http://classiccoverrecreations.tumblr.com/archive

I'm leaning towards a classic Golden Age cover, and have narrowed it down some. Most but not all have a patriotic theme, some war bonds, some just because I like them.

I haven't included many of Schomburg's more "busy" covers (which I love) because I'm afraid they wouldn't translate great into black and white.

It will be hung in a prominent spot in the house, so one caveat from my fiancee (I know, where's my cojones, right?) is no racist caricatures and no overly prominent swastikas or images of Hitler (Superman 17 is included though.)

Please feel free to choose the "other" option, but please post an image of your suggestion. 

So, I guess that counts out my favorite covers Suspense #3 or Terrific #5. That being said, you just can't go wrong with that classic WDCS Donald cover. My wife is real cool about that. As long as it's not all over the place. She did draw the line when I wanted to hand an airbrushed Ed "Big Daddy" Roth Rat Fink on an old toilet seat cover in the bathroom wall...